CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Equipment
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Equipment Outfitting a serious gym. Vendors & suppliers. Devices & equipment

Old 09-25-2010, 06:33 AM   #1
Kevin Wolfe

Profile:
Power Rack - Need Help QUICK

I have two options and owuld like to pick one up today! The first is a Keys Fitness power rack. It will come with a regular flat bench and bar for $275-$300 depending on which bar I choose (800lb or 1200lb he says). It comes with the dip bars.

The other is Fitness Gear brand for $300. This one has the lat attachment. Although I'm building up my pull-up strength, it might be ok for face pulls. It comes with the bench and 300lbs of plates (don't need all of them but ok).

I have heard Keys make nice stuff and I like the straight bar for pull ups. The Fitness Gear has the lat pull in case I need it (but that might be rare).
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	keys.jpg
Views:	1321
Size:	13.5 KB
ID:	7021  Click image for larger version

Name:	fitness gear.jpg
Views:	1063
Size:	8.0 KB
ID:	7022  
Old 09-25-2010, 06:44 AM   #2
Andrew Roden

Profile:
Re: Power Rack - Need Help QUICK

Just pick one already... go with the one with the good bar and get bumper plates.
Old 09-25-2010, 07:47 AM   #3
Kevin Wolfe

Profile:

OK, thanks for not helping.

Anyone else? I plan on getting bumpers also. 25s and 10s to start.
Old 09-25-2010, 11:35 AM   #4
Pete Nadeau

Profile:

I say get the Keys Fitness power rack, no need for a lat pull down band assisted pull ups to regular pull ups are much better
Old 09-25-2010, 12:23 PM   #5
Andy Gann

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin Wolfe View Post
I have two options and owuld like to pick one up today! The first is a Keys Fitness power rack. It will come with a regular flat bench and bar for $275-$300 depending on which bar I choose (800lb or 1200lb he says). It comes with the dip bars.

The other is Fitness Gear brand for $300. This one has the lat attachment. Although I'm building up my pull-up strength, it might be ok for face pulls. It comes with the bench and 300lbs of plates (don't need all of them but ok).

I have heard Keys make nice stuff and I like the straight bar for pull ups. The Fitness Gear has the lat pull in case I need it (but that might be rare).
Any plates come with the first rack and bar? The 300 lbs of iron makes the second attractive if money's tight.

I got a rack w/ a cheap bar, bench, and 300 lbs of plates for 300. It also had a lat pull down/pec deck. I got right of that crap but the rest has been pretty solid (and it's like walmart brand, i think - weider?)

Anyways - ditto what the other guy said about assisted pull ups better than lat pull downs. There's WAY more to a pull up than pulling strength in the arms - the body has to stabilize itself ... core, back, chest, everything.

I'd go with the first if it has iron - the second if it doesn't. Get pull up bands ( a blue and a red ) and wait until later to get bumpers .... btw - I'd get 45s and 25s instead of 25s and 10s. The 10s almost always bend in half no matter what brand they are and you'd have to have 45s on there to mix with iron if you're gonna drop a 200# snatch ....
Old 09-27-2010, 07:11 AM   #6
Brian Carver

Profile:

800 or 1200lb bar? Neither of those sound sufficient to justify spending much money on. Also, you can't remove those J-cups and safety bars on the Keys power rack. I don't know how you feel about that, but I don't like those styles of racks, personally.