CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Exercises
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Exercises Movements, technique & proper execution

Old 06-07-2008, 09:27 AM   #1
Mike Riess

Profile:
Generating power on the hang power snatch/snatch

In regards to one of the workouts last cycle-

I was having a lot of trouble figuring out where I should be generating my power from on the hang power snatches. I watched the video a few times before i went to workout and thought i had it figured out, but once i hit the gym I just felt like i couldn't generate any true force and was just muscling the bar up with my arms. So, the question- where does the power come from on the hang snatch and really on the snatch in general? I know with snatches from the ground, you generate most of your force from the hips/legs extensions and then essentially pull yourself under the bar (i think this is right). With the hang snatch, since you cut out the ground to hang drive, where do you find the force to get that bar overhead? Thanks..
Old 06-07-2008, 09:41 AM   #2
Brandon Oto

Profile:
Re: Generating power on the hang power snatch/snatch

The hang snatch (or clean) still includes the so-called "second pull," which is where the majority of your power is generated. The initial pull off the ground (first pull) is often done relatively slowly, more to position the bar than to speed it up; since this job is already done in the hang version, you're just beginning at the start of the second pull, wherein a powerful triple extension of the hips, knees, and ankles (plus a shrug) will be launching the bar upward.

It is exactly, exactly the same dynamic as jumping upward, and if you jump a few times right now you should recognize that you don't need to bend over and touch your toes to set it up.
Old 06-07-2008, 10:05 AM   #3
Scott Allen Hanson

Profile:
Re: Generating power on the hang power snatch/snatch

Brandon nailed it. Really emphasize the hip extension. Check out and practice the Burgener Warm-up to get the movement down (video under Olympic Lifts).