CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > In Sickness and In Health > Injuries
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Injuries Chronic & Acute

Old 07-29-2015, 10:15 AM   #1
Matthew Swartz

Profile:
"Runners" Knee

So I've been dealing with this for a while, since the middle-ish of the open. My knee caps started to hurt when coming up out of a squat and I laid off squatting. Aching, superficially (right on the top of my knee cap), continued up till about a month ago. Going back two months, I started seeing an awesome chiro/ART guy who is a magician when dealing with sports injuries. He diagnosed me with supra-patellar bursitis and we tried out some patellar loading, but it didn't seem to work and even started aggravating it more. Cue last month, where we decided to stop doing any kind of squatting altogether. Over that time I've been getting dry needling and that has seemed to help, i.e. it hasn't ached when I sit. This last Monday I tried squatting very light (135 for 3 sets of 5. Keep in mind I've never had knee issues and was a 475+ squatter before this issue) and the aching while sitting rears its ugly head again. (It doesn't ache unless my leg is bent)

I have pretty bad ankle mobility, which from what I've read (and discussed with my chiro/ART guy) can cause runners knee. It seems to match all of my symptoms so I thought I would throw that in the title. The three things that we've decided could possibly be it (runners knee, supra-patellar bursitis, and quadriceps tendonitis) all kind of have the same symptoms, so it could be any of the three.

My question here is whether anyone has had any issues like this before and how they dealt with it. (Cue "lacrosse ball, foam rolling, voodoo floss." I do it all)