CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > In Sickness and In Health > Injuries
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Injuries Chronic & Acute

Old 06-07-2012, 02:16 PM   #1
Robert Walsh

Profile:
anterior pelvic tilt and pain behind the knee

OK, so a couple years ago I identified a pretty serious anterior pelvic tilt that was resulting in lower back pain. I do a lot of hip flexor stretches, hip stretches, and body maintenance in general. Started to to wake up the glutes and be more aware of my posture.

Anyway, my knees have always felt a little unstable. I think this goes back to being pigeon-toed when I was younger. I've since grown out of that, but my right leg/foot still wants to internally rotate and I have to consciously keep it neutral.

As I've started to squat in the mid 300's these issues (ATP and knees) have become more relevant and required more maintenance. I' even dropped Back Squats from my programming because after a heavy workout I could feel that anterior pelvic tilt posture being reinforced. Like, afterwards, I would lose the neutral pelvis and my lower back would want to hyper-extend. Not sure what to do here.

Also, lately, the tissue behind my right knee (the leg that wants to internally rotate) has been feeling sketchy. It is not pain per say, but more inflammation and lack of stability. I think my tight hamstrings have been contributing to this because when I take a lacrosse ball to them, the tension seems to relieve some of the problem.

So I've got some issues here and I'm not sure exactly how to proceed. I really want to continue my quest for a 400# back squat but the risk/reward just doesn't seem to be there right now.

Any comments, suggestions, or feedback would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.
Old 06-07-2012, 02:30 PM   #2
Brian Strump

Profile:
Re: anterior pelvic tilt and pain behind the knee

Check calves, bottom of feet for trigger points. Ankle mobility. Hip mobility. Core stability. The list goes on......but that's a start.
Old 06-07-2012, 02:47 PM   #3
Robert Walsh

Profile:

You mentioned hip mobility and of course that is always a priority. I do have a question. I know the 'hip-hinge' concept is very important; Is this ability to hinge at the hip primarily a function of hamstring flexibility? Because I do feel challenged there when doing deadlifts or good mornings.
Old 06-08-2012, 08:34 AM   #4
Brian Strump

Profile:

That's part of it. Thoracic extension is another part, as is stability of the lumbar spine. Hold a PVC pipe to your back, and it touches the back of your head, between the scapula, and your waist(right in the middle of your ***). Hold it there, and move like you are squating, swinging a KB, and deadlifting. If you can't keep the bar in contact with those 3 spots throughout, you're doing something wrong, or sign of poor mobility or stability, most commonly.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert Walsh View Post
You mentioned hip mobility and of course that is always a priority. I do have a question. I know the 'hip-hinge' concept is very important; Is this ability to hinge at the hip primarily a function of hamstring flexibility? Because I do feel challenged there when doing deadlifts or good mornings.
Old 06-14-2012, 05:09 PM   #5
Steven Low

Profile:

You're probably likely getting some issues with popliteus muscle on the back of the knee aside from possibly the hamstrings.

Almost entirely usually a symptom of poor motor movement. You can do some soft tissue work to help loosen it up but if it keeps sticking around your issues are likely elsewhere.

Typically at the hip and ankles. Also, what Brian is saying is true as well.