CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Equipment
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Equipment Outfitting a serious gym. Vendors & suppliers. Devices & equipment

Old 06-06-2013, 07:24 AM   #1
Christopher Murphy

Profile:
Dirty South

Hello all, I am considering the S-3 Squat Rack from Rogue. I can opt for the Dirty South bar and forgo the fat/ skinny pull up bar for an additional $90. I am not sure if the Dirty South is worth it. Any opinions would be appreciated on the dirty south bar.

What are the advantages of going with the dirty south? Can it be used for bar muscle ups or ring muscle ups?

the squat stand info is here:
http://www.roguefitness.com/rogue-s-3-squat-stand.php

Thanks,
Christopher
Old 06-06-2013, 08:32 AM   #2
Brian Liang

Profile:
Re: Dirty South

Some people don't really like the dirty south bar, as its doesn't bring any significant benefits. But I actually do like the dirty south bar (but I have never tried it on a squat rack, only used them on rigs). For some reason, I can only do butteryfly pull ups on a dirty south (its the weirdest thing for me).

Benefits of dirty south:
- You have a high and a low pull up bar. (the low bar is nice for when you do weighted pull ups).
- You can do bar muscle ups (in one of Rogue's video, they mention you can't... but I have done it mutiple times... its just super scary on a dirty south).

Disadvantage of dirty south:
- $90 more.
- Only one diameter of bar.
- Possible issues with swaying of the rack when using the high bar, you might want to weigh the rack down; due to the high bar not being in the centre. (as I mentioned, I have only used the dirty south on rigs. So im not sure how it will affect a stand).

Benefits of fat and skinny:
- You have two diameters of bar.
- $90 cheaper.

Disadvantage of fat skinny:
- Can't do bar muscle ups on it.
- After one or two times, rotating the bars around. You will probably notice its too much of a hassle to switch it around and end up just keeping the skinny bar on the bottom.

As for ring muscle ups. I don't know. But since the stands are only 9ft tall. I would say most likely not. I have my rings around my joists in my garage (I think my garage is a bit higher than 9ft). But the height I need the rings to be at to get my feet off the ground; I actually only have about a inch clearance before my head will smash into one of the joist (and that inch is during the transition into the muscle up. Not the press up) I'm only 5'9.
Old 06-06-2013, 08:43 AM   #3
Patrick Weaver

Profile:

Dirty south bar would give you 2 bar height options if you have someone else that is a different height than you using the rig...My wife is a bit shorter than I and i would have gotten the dirty south bar if my ceiling would have allowed it.
Old 06-16-2013, 11:41 AM   #4
Joey Dussel

Profile:

I'd go Fat Skinny over the Dirty South on that rig, but if you could, I would try to get a rack that you could mount the Fat Skinny the other way so that you could use either. Like this http://www.roguefitness.com/rogue-r-3-power-rack.php

Obviously that one is more expensive. I'm only linking to it to provide a visual of what I'm talking about. You can do you own research on which option could provide that without being much more expensive.

-Joey
Old 06-25-2013, 06:30 AM   #5
Christopher Murphy

Profile:

I opted to forego the dirty south and just went with a single pull up bar (instead of the fat/ skinny). I figured that I would never change out the fat/ skinny anyway and if i need to add height, i have a few extra holes on the S-3 to move the single pullup bar a few notches.

Joey - I like the thought process on that suggestion for the R-3, but I don't have the tools nor the experience/ knowledge on how to bolt that rig to the concrete floor in my garage. I got the vertical weight storage to help hold the S-3 in place while kipping on the pullup bar. Seems to be working out well.

Last edited by Christopher Murphy : 06-25-2013 at 06:37 AM.