CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > Community > Community
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Community Catch all category for CrossFit community discussion.

Old 08-21-2005, 11:38 PM   #1
Scott Parker

Profile:
so last week i joined an academy and took my first class and really enjoyed it. went to philly this weekend and visited a friend and went to the academy he trains at. one thing that's standing out is everyone's ears. what's the deal? any reason why guys don't wear headgear? what will they say at my academy if i show up wearing headgear? after training today my ears are literally still burning and hurt. i dont want cauliflower ear! also, can anyone recommend a good headgear to buy? have no idea what to get. thanks!

scott
Old 08-22-2005, 03:45 AM   #2
Fiona Muxlow

Profile:
Check out the wrestling stores/sites.
I have a set of Cliff Keen Athletic ones (some where) i use if my ears get too beat up, And some of the guys at my old club used to wear asics ones.

Mind u i haven't used them for over a year,( have been grappling for 8 years) after the last time i had my ear drained.
They aren't pretty but neither is a girl with caulifower ears.

Scott don't stress sore ears don't always lead to chicken nuggets on you head. They, CF, only happen when you get the internal swelling/bleeding due to busted cartilage. If you have them drained within a day or two of this happening then you can reduce the scare tissue that forms and hence the caulies.
Get a GP to check your ears and drain asap if this happens.
Don't know how the guys at your club will react but if you want to keep your ears pretty or at least to beable to train with out pain i would say go for it or at least learn how to drain your own cauliflowers.
Old 08-22-2005, 08:41 AM   #3
Patrick Johnston

Profile:
I have been doing BJJ for many years and I use earguards. I suggest using them as I think cauliflower ears look ugly. Of course, if you are ugly already...
Old 08-22-2005, 10:29 AM   #4
bill fox

Profile:

I don't where you went but at Maxercise I've seen plenty of guys wear the low profile ones over the years. No one will make fun of you unless you suck. (kidding)

You may not want to tell Steve you think ears look funny.
Old 08-23-2005, 09:04 PM   #5
Becca Borawski

Profile:
I train at Eddie Bravo's in LA, and there's always a few guys wearing head gear. It seems like everybody goes through a phase where their ears suddenly become sensitive, so nobody cares when somebody starts wearing headgear.

In the beginning though, it might just be your ears adjusting to the friction. When I first started it seemed like my ears would superheat during classes and be red and sore, but after a few weeks it stopped happening
Old 08-23-2005, 09:14 PM   #6
Scott Parker

Profile:
becca-

that is exactly how my ears felt. very sore, and a lot of heat. just got me worried. i work in a emergency room and asked the docs what they do for it and would rather just deal with the comments than have to get my ears drained and deal with compression dressings. i don't really care if other's view it as a badge of honor or whatever.

thanks all for the comments and advice!

scott
Old 08-24-2005, 12:15 PM   #7
Keith Wittenstein

Profile:
I have trained for many years and I hate headgear. I ain't that pretty so I don't care if my ears get beat up. I don't want cauliflour ear, but I don't care if I get a little. It's not a badge of honor for me. I have a few sets of headgear and I've tried them, but I really can't stand them. They make me hot and disoriented. I can't hear very well with them on and the worst is when they get pulled off or pulled down over my eyes. Getting them pulled off hurts my ears worse.

Where are you training in the City?

Old 08-26-2005, 06:40 AM   #8
Scott Parker

Profile:
keith-

i just started at renzo gracie's academy in nyc. i started about a week ago. i live in jersey, really close to the path train, and the academy is really close to the 33rd st. stop. so far they have been very nice and welcoming, and i'm enjoying it very much. i saw another guy there the other day with headgear, and he said nobody ever gives him a hard time. i ordered headgear a few days ago and should be getting them in the mail any day now.

scott
Old 08-26-2005, 02:47 PM   #9
Francisco Menendez

Profile:
If your ears are sore that means the cartilage is sensitive and you are at more risk at developing cauliflower ear. You could just wear the headgear when your ears get sore. I have been wearing my headgear all the time for the last 3 years and don't notice them anymore. I think it's just a matter of getting used to it, kind of like you get used to a mouthguard and a cup, which I also use. Maybe if I ever get married I'll stop using them, but for now I don't want to add to my ugliness.
Old 08-26-2005, 06:57 PM   #10
Keith Wittenstein

Profile:
Scott

I'll be going back to Renzo's next week. I haven't trained in a while because I've been trying to take care of my back. I have to get back on the mats. I hope to see you there.

Keith