CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > In Sickness and In Health > Injuries
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Injuries Chronic & Acute

Old 07-07-2011, 05:52 AM   #1
David Reynolds

Profile:
middle/Lower back strain?

How long can a middle/lower back strain take to heal? I maxed on with my pr on deads last week, think i messed it up bad, no pain, just keeps spasming with my last week of wods, especially with KBS
Old 07-07-2011, 09:22 AM   #2
James Mazzarisi

Profile:
Re: middle/Lower back strain?

3 of the last 5 topics on the injury thread are all related to the deadlift/filthy 50 back-to-back workouts. Poor programming choice?
Old 07-07-2011, 11:58 AM   #3
David Reynolds

Profile:

Well buddy your kinda wrong there, mine is not related to the filthy fifty. Like i said, i PR'd 1 rep max deadlift! So if u have ever tried this with some sic weight, maybe u can relate!
Old 07-07-2011, 01:18 PM   #4
Brian Strump

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Reynolds View Post
Well buddy your kinda wrong there, mine is not related to the filthy fifty. Like i said, i PR'd 1 rep max deadlift! So if u have ever tried this with some sic weight, maybe u can relate!
Many people DL alot and do not complain of pain.

It could be a ton of things that went wrong. Poor form, tight hamstrings, weak glutes, poor biomechanics, weak/tight rotator cuff musculature referring pain, etc.
Old 07-08-2011, 08:26 AM   #5
James Mazzarisi

Profile:

Quote:
Well buddy.... why don't you enlighten everyone as to how much your sick weight is and what kind of form you were using. And then maybe you can add some more exclamation points. How often are you deadlifting heavy? Did you also do the 6-22 mainsite deadlift wod, the 6-24 clean and Jerk wod, the 6-24 snatch wod, the 6-29 filthy fifty? That's a ton of pulling in a short time and if you did all these wods, perhaps the cumulative volume contibuted to your injury.

So maybe it's overuse or maybe you did tweak it doing your 1RM, or maybe it's a combination of both. Anyway good luck with the sick weights.
Old 07-08-2011, 09:07 AM   #6
Matthew Swartz

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by James Mazzarisi View Post
Well buddy.... why don't you enlighten everyone as to how much your sick weight is and what kind of form you were using. And then maybe you can add some more exclamation points. How often are you deadlifting heavy? Did you also do the 6-22 mainsite deadlift wod, the 6-24 clean and Jerk wod, the 6-24 snatch wod, the 6-29 filthy fifty? That's a ton of pulling in a short time and if you did all these wods, perhaps the cumulative volume contibuted to your injury.

So maybe it's overuse or maybe you did tweak it doing your 1RM, or maybe it's a combination of both. Anyway good luck with the sick weights.
You aren't core if you don't tweak your back with sick weight. Come at me bro!
Old 07-08-2011, 10:00 AM   #7
Jakob Schmidt

Profile:

Quote:
Get out. Just... get out.
Old 07-08-2011, 10:42 AM   #8
David Reynolds

Profile:

Well James, really all i wanted is some possible ideas about how long a back strain would take to heal, not that my programming was not great. Again i said nothing about doing the 6-24 wod etc...., probably would of mentioned that to begin with, and would understand how that could add some strain, and probably would not of posted the question here, my form is pretty good on DL's so maybe it was just too much sick weight
Old 07-08-2011, 10:44 AM   #9
David Reynolds

Profile:

in fact if u would like to see a vid, go to u tube and search dreys deadlift al asad.
Old 07-08-2011, 10:53 AM   #10
James Mazzarisi

Profile:

Ok. No big deal. Let's be friends. The only reason I mentioned the other WODS is that I and some of my buddies felt fatigue in our backs on the recent 3-3-3-3-3- DL day. It jest felt like we had been doing a lot of pulling recently, particularly when adding the KB swings and back extensions in the filthy 50 workout the day before. There was another 3-3-3-3-3 DL day also about a week prior. My body just felt like I was doing too many heavy DL's. A lot of "experts" will say not to do heavy deadlifts too often. I didn't want to explain this in my original Post becasue I didn't want to get too wordy with my first reply on this topic.

Anyway, I'm not a doctor or PT, but my only question is if the pain is bilateral; or is it isolated to one spot on your spine or another area of your back. If it's bilateral and the pain is fairly evenly distributed on both sides, my guess is it's muscular and it probably just needs rest/ice/etc. I know mine does. If it is isolated to one spot perhaps there is an injury that needs to be evaluated. If you are truly having spasms and/or feel you have lost stregth/function, you also may want to get checked out, as there may be a tear.

I know I've pushed my back too hard recently but my performance/strength does not seem to be comprised. That said I also know I need to give it some rest to avoid potential injery. Good luck. Cheers.