CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Starting
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Starting For newcomers to the CrossFit methodology

Old 01-28-2011, 06:38 AM   #1
Laurence LaBruce

Profile:
New CFer in Savannah

My name is Laurence and I just wanted to introduce myself. I just started at a box in Savannah this week and love it so far. I played sports in high school and college, but for last 6 years have let myself go. I am around 5 9 and 210, and didnt realize how out of shape I was until first movements class. Of course my girlfriend ( who is in very good shape) began this week as well and has definitely kicked my butt in everything so the ego is as sore as everything else. Basically just wanted to introduce myself and say I amm extremely excited to start this new chapter of my life. The tough part right now is to not look at the guys who have been doing it for years and get frustrated with where I am. If anybody has any suggestions to help out, it would be very appreciated
Old 01-28-2011, 12:39 PM   #2
Ted Apollo

Profile:
Re: New CFer in Savannah

welcome to the boards!
Old 01-28-2011, 01:22 PM   #3
Milton Brisson

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laurence LaBruce View Post
...The tough part right now is to not look at the guys who have been doing it for years and get frustrated with where I am. If anybody has any suggestions to help out, it would be very appreciated
Hi Laurence and welcome aboard!

I would suggest that you keep track of the workouts you do (I keep a log on here - linked in my sig...), write them down. Then when you get back to the same ones again, you will be able to see your progress. The biggest favor you can do yourself right now is to not compare yourself to the experienced guys - but compete with yourself.

I know that me today could kick me (of 5 months ago)'s @$$, and I want me of 5 months from now to do the same to me toady! That made sense in my head.....

Good luck with everything!
Old 01-28-2011, 01:40 PM   #4
Joseph Nichols

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laurence LaBruce View Post
My name is Laurence and I just wanted to introduce myself. I just started at a box in Savannah this week and love it so far. I played sports in high school and college, but for last 6 years have let myself go. I am around 5 9 and 210, and didnt realize how out of shape I was until first movements class. Of course my girlfriend ( who is in very good shape) began this week as well and has definitely kicked my butt in everything so the ego is as sore as everything else. Basically just wanted to introduce myself and say I amm extremely excited to start this new chapter of my life. The tough part right now is to not look at the guys who have been doing it for years and get frustrated with where I am. If anybody has any suggestions to help out, it would be very appreciated
Just stick with it. Don't even look at the times on the board; it's all about pushing yourself as hard as you can.

By the way, I go to crossfithyperformance in Savannah, Ga. I'm guessing that's where you're at, too? Drew and Jennifer are amazing. Everything they tell you is to get you to become a better athlete. Express your goals to them, and they'll certainly know what to do.