CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > Community > Community
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Community Catch all category for CrossFit community discussion.

Old 01-14-2009, 09:09 AM   #1
Steve Sheffar

Profile:
Ballroom Dancing Music Choices?

Good afternoon all,

I have come back to once again ask for the assistance of the Community.

In Aug 09 I will be getting married to a lovely lady. As part of our wedding prep we are taking dancing lessons so we can WOW the crowd. However, I need to find some music that we can listen to and see what song/songs we like. Our instructor has asked that I compile a list of bands/artists so we can start to narrow our music selection.

Can people here provide music or band suggestions? We are learning:
Waltz
Tango
Cha-Cha
Rumba
Foxtrot

We are spending a ton of $ on this so we want to get the most out of it.

We are thankful for your assistance.
Old 01-14-2009, 01:53 PM   #2
Lincoln Brigham

Profile:
Re: Ballroom Dancing Music Choices?

I might be able to help a bit.
http://crossfitsedona.typepad.com/Images/100_1966.jpg

First piece of advice, that's a lot of dances especially if you've never danced ballroom before. Consider cutting one or two and focusing on the others. Heck, I'd just work on two but that's me.

General tips: wear the same or similar shoes to practice as you would at the wedding. It's amazing how many couples don't do this and run into major trouble at the wedding. Also, long floor length dresses often result in a major face plant if both of you not accustomed to them. Good for the waltz, but plan ahead.

Bring your own CD and a backup. Have the DJ test it on his equipment prior to the reception. Consider having both audio and MP3 formats on hand, just in case.

Waltz: many waltz songs are fast. As in "Damn Fast"; Viennese waltz tempo. Stay away from those, pick something with a more moderate tempo. Suggestions: Erik Satie "Trois Gymnopedies" is very elegant, classical and hasn't been used a million times before. "Slow Dance" by Michael Peterson has a great wedding dance-style lyric, usually makes all the ladies watching cry. (That's a good thing.) "Come Away With Me" by Norah Jones is slow and contemporary.

Cha-cha: same as waltz, watch out for the frenetic tempos. Try "Sway" by Michael Buble for something in the ballroom style with a modern update.

Foxtrot: again, for something from this century try Michael Buble such as "Nice 'n Easy", "Summer Wind", "A Foggy Day", "I've Got You Under My Skin", "Come Fly With Me", "The Best Is Yet To Come"

Tango: I got nuthin.

Rumba: There's a lot of good slow songs, but I'm drawing a blank at the moment. "Unbreak My Heart" by Toni Braxton, perhaps.

Shoot the DJ if he plays Benny Goodman "In The Mood". The swing era was 25 years long and had more than just that one freaking song.

Hope that helps.

Last edited by Lincoln Brigham : 01-14-2009 at 02:01 PM.
Old 01-14-2009, 02:00 PM   #3
Joshua Murphy

Profile:

I did this the other way around, I brought in "our song" (Louis Armstrong, A Kiss to Build a Dream On" and a few others that we knew we would have (Sinatra, Adam Sandler, etc.) and asked the instructors what types of dance we should do for the song.

Congratulations and good luck!

"Warp Spasm" courtesy of http://www.anne-madden.com/LeBPages/...bration21.html (WFS)
Old 01-14-2009, 07:29 PM   #4
Steve Sheffar

Profile:

Thank you for the information.
I think we need to narrow our search. I want to listen to a lot of music and pick a song.
We are spending a ton of cash on this so the idea is to study dances and as we get closer to the day we will practice a "routine".
I am excited about "buying" music to learn and practice at home with. thanks you guys.

I am not a dancer so this will be a fun time. Similar to learning the snatch. Practice Practice Practice.

Steve
Old 01-14-2009, 09:24 PM   #5
Lincoln Brigham

Profile:

Get some drills on the basics to work on as homework. Rise and fall in waltz, cuban motion for cha cha, etc. That's the kind of stuff you want to drill until it becomes boring and automatic. You should put in 2-3 hours of practice at home for every hour of lessons.

Good luck, have fun!
Old 01-14-2009, 09:39 PM   #6
Steve Sheffar

Profile:

We want to practice at home but I don't have music.

What should I get?
Old 01-15-2009, 08:34 AM   #7
Joshua Murphy

Profile:

If you already have your DJ, you might want to check with them. Ours was very helpful with a list of songs that were common, etc. Here is a DJ who has listed some (w/f safe) http://www.serinosound.com/song_lists.html (not my DJ)

And here is a site with some samples (w/f safe) http://www.ballroomdancers.com/music...sp?Dance=Waltz

"Warp Spasm" courtesy of http://www.anne-madden.com/LeBPages/...bration21.html (WFS)
Old 01-15-2009, 11:03 AM   #8
C James Barton

Profile:

For tango, you could try something by The Gotan Project (Google 'em). Cool stuff.

If you like Latin stuff generally, you could dancing Rumba to boleros by someone like Tito Rodriguez. For an authentic cha cha, you could try Tito Puente or The Spanish Harlem Orchestra. PM me if you want more.

caveat: salsa/latin geek and occasional DJ.