CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Fitness
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Fitness Theory and Practice. CrossFit's rationale & foundations. Who is fit? What is fitness?

Old 05-20-2008, 10:55 AM   #1
Rajib Ghosh

Profile:
Possible to do Crossfit+Starting Strength?

I'm reading SS and I've skimmed through the book and see that eventually they give a program to follow. So I'm 20/m/6'1/160 14%BF. I made a goal a few days ago to be 160 but of LBM and around 10% body fat making me 170 which I think would be ideal. I feel great now but last night someone made a comment that I look how I did in the wedding last summer ( I was looking like mr. bones for experimenting with a pure vegan diet. never again!even though i've been eating like 2x's my fat block/ protein block). So I alter my goal to be 170 of LBM and 10-12% BF.. It seems Starting strength will give me this. I'm currently on a 5-5-3-5-3 block.even though 'supposebly' I should be on a 17 block. Now is it possible to do crossfit and starting strength?? Mentally I say I can do it but I don't know if that'll be overtraining or if I should get off the crossfit drug and do SS for a while. Anyone knows how long it will take to do the above goal. 1 year enough time.
Well let me go order the squat rack from sams club which seems the cheapest I can find besides the home made one...
Old 05-20-2008, 11:00 AM   #2
Jamie J. Skibicki

Profile:
Re: Possible to do Crossfit+Starting Strength?

Search is your friend.
Old 05-20-2008, 11:01 AM   #3
Steven Low

Profile:

There's a way to combine them.... but you will making a huge sacrifice to strength gains. The "best" way is to add a metcon or so on either Fri or Sat. If you want to add more you might as well just do a MEBB. If you absolutely NEED the conditioning/GPP, I'd stick with CF *but* if you don't need it then I would suggest doing straight SS for a few months.

This has also been discussed thoroughly.. so search!
Old 05-20-2008, 11:08 AM   #4
Rajib Ghosh

Profile:

sorry guys I forgot about that search I didnt mean to ask already answered questions. i dont know whats metcon but again ill search it.
p.s- dam i need to pay for membership from sams club mayb itll still come out cheaper than other sites. any1 that seen a cheap rack please send me the link
Old 05-20-2008, 11:13 AM   #5
Jamie J. Skibicki

Profile:

Dude, do a search, this stuff comes up in equipment on a regular basis.
Old 05-20-2008, 11:39 AM   #6
Rajib Ghosh

Profile:

Do you think it's the same increasing your fat blocks bye (3x,4x's,5x's) as to drink a gallon of milk a day? buying all those nuts much more expensive than the gallon of milk right??

-sorry didnt know what to put in the search function
Old 05-20-2008, 11:43 AM   #7
Steven Low

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rajib Ghosh View Post
Do you think it's the same increasing your fat blocks bye (3x,4x's,5x's) as to drink a gallon of milk a day? buying all those nuts much more expensive than the gallon of milk right??

-sorry didnt know what to put in the search function
No....
Old 05-20-2008, 11:51 AM   #8
Tom Woodward

Profile:

No milk and no nuts for adding only fat blocks. Both have carbs and protein. Buy a giant bottle of cold pressed olive oil and pour it on everything. Put it in smoothies, even drink it if you can stand it. Eat avocadoes. Eat eggs for breakfast. Not much more to it.
Old 05-20-2008, 11:54 AM   #9
Rajib Ghosh

Profile:

Well Ripptoe doesn't clarify milk consumption in accord with the zone or 'diet'. He says to drink it on top of you current diet but as we know that ups the blocks. But then again we're talking about weight gain soo I guess it's doable.
Old 05-20-2008, 01:29 PM   #10
Jakub Kruhlik

Profile:

you'll achieve your goal alot quicker if you just do SS for a few months or however long it takes you to get to 180 and then switch back to crossfit to loose the extra fat. unless there's a reason you need the metcon (metabolic conditioning) just focus on SS (if you must add in a metcon workout once a week; this will maintain the conditioning you already have so you wont have to worry about loosing any).

and to everyone who keeps telling him to just search just stop posting. its stupid for you guys to post a respond without actually answering his question and just telling him to search. if it bothers you that much just don't respond.