CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > Community > Community
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Community Catch all category for CrossFit community discussion.

Old 08-15-2012, 04:55 PM   #521
Ben Norris

Profile:
Re: Stop Anthos from Taking over CrossFit

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blair Robert Lowe View Post
They is CFHQ.

Pull in each other was some brain fart. I meant how much money CFHQ pulls in via all it's seminars. That's probably the bulk of it's revenue. Not affiliate fees.

Do the numbers and they gross a crapton of money. The Host gyms don't get paid though I do remember them getting to send an X amount of ppl to the certs in lieu of payment. I'm not exactly sure, just vaguely sure. Yes, they have to pay their trainers and those trainers expenses but it's still probably some nice profits.
Do HQ bring in a nice profit from its seminars? YES
Do HQ bring in ENOUGH profit from its seminars to satisfy a VC firm? HELL NO

This is the problem, when a company wants a 5 times ROI in a short period of time then you have to change its current business model.
Old 08-15-2012, 08:50 PM   #522
Jason Soteros

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Nguyen View Post
I love theCrossFit picture of the bicep curl
Old 08-16-2012, 11:48 AM   #523
Cain Deckhard

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben Norris View Post
Do HQ bring in a nice profit from its seminars? YES
Do HQ bring in ENOUGH profit from its seminars to satisfy a VC firm? HELL NO

This is the problem, when a company wants a 5 times ROI in a short period of time then you have to change its current business model.
Did Anthos say they wanted 5X ROI or where did that number come from?
Old 08-16-2012, 12:58 PM   #524
James Mazzarisi

Profile:

Out of curiousity - what difference does it make? Are the people in the boxes more interested in the name "Crossfit" or the results they and their clients receive from the exercise? Couldn't a box continue doing exactly the same things even by removing 8 simple letters. I think it could.... and you could save $3,000 a year in the process. Is their a fear that without the name crossfit a box owner would lose clients?

The best gyms I know have many cross-fit certified trainers but the owners have refused to affiliate becasue simply it's not them. I'll say it: Crossfit has become a brand and yes the most recognized brand in high-intensity fitness. But I would think a respected box owner with experience and loyal clients not only could break away from a brand name but that the owner should. Why not make a name for yourself instead of filling someone else's pockets; whether that is Crossfit, Anthos, etc.

Crossfit has been instrumental in bringing awareness to high intensity functional fitness, etc, etc. But as someone earlier said; it's no longer grass roots. It's corporate and marketing no matter who the majority shareholders are.
Old 08-16-2012, 01:38 PM   #525
Tom Richardell

Profile:

Does anyone know when the judge in this divorce might make some type of decision regarding this?
Old 08-16-2012, 04:04 PM   #526
Barry Stockbrugger

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by James Mazzarisi View Post
Out of curiousity - what difference does it make? Are the people in the boxes more interested in the name "Crossfit" or the results they and their clients receive from the exercise? Couldn't a box continue doing exactly the same things even by removing 8 simple letters. I think it could.... and you could save $3,000 a year in the process. Is their a fear that without the name crossfit a box owner would lose clients?

The best gyms I know have many cross-fit certified trainers but the owners have refused to affiliate becasue simply it's not them. I'll say it: Crossfit has become a brand and yes the most recognized brand in high-intensity fitness. But I would think a respected box owner with experience and loyal clients not only could break away from a brand name but that the owner should. Why not make a name for yourself instead of filling someone else's pockets; whether that is Crossfit, Anthos, etc.

Crossfit has been instrumental in bringing awareness to high intensity functional fitness, etc, etc. But as someone earlier said; it's no longer grass roots. It's corporate and marketing no matter who the majority shareholders are.
From another thread about a gym "pirating" CrossFit classes: "They CAN mention their CrossFit Level 1 as a credential, but CANNOT advertise "CrossFit" as a service. Only CrossFit affiliates are licensed to offer CrossFit classes." Source poster: Russell Berger

The training offered by CrossFit is not unique, however, the blend of training approaches and movements is, in my opinion.
Old 08-16-2012, 05:05 PM   #527
James Mazzarisi

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barry Stockbrugger View Post
From another thread about a gym "pirating" CrossFit classes: "They CAN mention their CrossFit Level 1 as a credential, but CANNOT advertise "CrossFit" as a service. Only CrossFit affiliates are licensed to offer CrossFit classes." Source poster: Russell Berger

The training offered by CrossFit is not unique, however, the blend of training approaches and movements is, in my opinion.
Never said that these or any other paticular trainer has advertised his or her classes as crossfit or even a variation thereof. Just was saying they take whatever value they can from their crossfit cert and incorporate it into their own programming/structure. In fact most don't even advertise that they are crossfit certified trainers.

Definitely don't agree that crossfit's blend of training approaches and movements is unique. If they were we would surely see patents.

Point of my argument is that I feel the value to any box is simply in the Brand name; and that at some point credible box owners with loyal clientele should be able to operate similarly if not better than if they were affiliated.
Old 08-16-2012, 05:33 PM   #528
Larry Bruce

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by James Mazzarisi View Post
Never said that these or any other paticular trainer has advertised his or her classes as crossfit or even a variation thereof. Just was saying they take whatever value they can from their crossfit cert and incorporate it into their own programming/structure. In fact most don't even advertise that they are crossfit certified trainers.

Definitely don't agree that crossfit's blend of training approaches and movements is unique. If they were we would surely see patents.

Point of my argument is that I feel the value to any box is simply in the Brand name; and that at some point credible box owners with loyal clientele should be able to operate similarly if not better than if they were affiliated.
To some extent this is already happening. There are functional gyms, where you have artificial turf, tires, kb, rings, squat racks, etc and classes or roll your own, without them being called Crossfit. They exist because of Crossfit through. Was even in a Wynn Fitness club two days ago, which is a higher end mass market facility, and they had a functional gym with a tire. It was an add-on to the regular membership. Another club I belong to offers "Crossfit-style PT". So Crossfit's success is breeding its own competition, without some of its baggage perhaps.

I now wonder if this is taken into account when valuing the growth potential of the main brand?
Old 08-16-2012, 06:20 PM   #529
John C Corona

Profile:

I also 'heard' but have not seen a local globo in my town had a crosstraining 'area' where they had kbells and boxes. Sure affiliates would survive, but how many walk ins we've had since the games been televised, that might decrease if your name changed. I wonder if you could still have "crossfit" in your metatags for google searches.

I am shocked some of yall seem bitter towards Greg/Crossfit. I appreciate Russell posting this cause I had my head in the sand this past week, and missed this talk. I did see Greg's mainsite video, and would follow him march alongside him the trenches. Seeing Lauren's video, 'canned' is an understatement. The words I have for her would not be right to say here, I'll just say I don't trust her or Anthos at all.

I have to now research whats really going on, whats the court case about, who vs who?

**oops, I meant to post in Russells thread with the video of Lauren ** my bad. I got some reading to do to catch up to this thread. sigh.
Old 08-16-2012, 10:14 PM   #530
Chris Mason

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cain Deckhard View Post
Did Anthos say they wanted 5X ROI or where did that number come from?
That is just a norm for such companies from what I have been told.