CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Nutrition
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Nutrition Diet, supplements, weightloss, health & longevity

Old 11-12-2011, 06:19 PM   #1
James Mazzarisi

Profile:
Help on Zone

Have searched the old threads but still have a question. Background - Started zone three weeks ago and have some interesting things happening. WOD times and strength have improved very much. Fat has come off fast as well... looking leaner than I ever have. I'm 5'11", 181 pounds, 36 M. I'm doing 25 blocks (5x5) with anywhere from 2x - 3x fat (increasedmy fat intake recently due to what I'm about to tell you). Prior to zone was eating strict Paleo. Now doing Paleo/Zone with more yams and fruit due to much higher required carb intake than traditional Paleo. So here's the quagmire...

So all of this major improvement and I have never been so tired in my life... totally fatigued all day, have "tired dry eyes," just want to lay down, etc. Waking up at 1:30 and 4:30 every night like clockwork to pee. Don't feel like I'm sleeping great. Here's the question:

1) Is this fatigue normal? Read in many places it is due to increased fat burn and body moving out arichidonic acid (sp?) My coach recommended the upped fat intake due to my fatigue. Upped it as Rx'ed and still no relief.

Any help is appreciated.
Old 11-12-2011, 08:06 PM   #2
Michael Dries

Profile:
Re: Help on Zone

It sounds like over training to me, sleep disturbances and overall feeling crappy are not a good way to live. Do you have any idea how much food you were eating just paleo before you started zoning? Is this more or less food?
Old 11-13-2011, 05:52 AM   #3
James Mazzarisi

Profile:

Don't think it is over-training. My school is actually one 3x a week and I swim one or 2 other days/week. And my caloric intake is definitely much higher than when I was straight Paleo. I was thinking the 25 blocks was too much. My coach reccomended the 25 as he is 155 lbs and 5'7 and does 25 blocks. His rational was that by the Crossfir prescription, I would be an "athletic well-muscled male" and if he needs 25 blocks I definitely do as well. Definitely appreciate your feedback but I don't think it is over-training.
Old 11-13-2011, 08:33 AM   #4
Darryl Shaw

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by James Mazzarisi View Post
Have searched the old threads but still have a question. Background - Started zone three weeks ago and have some interesting things happening. WOD times and strength have improved very much. Fat has come off fast as well... looking leaner than I ever have. I'm 5'11", 181 pounds, 36 M. I'm doing 25 blocks (5x5) with anywhere from 2x - 3x fat (increasedmy fat intake recently due to what I'm about to tell you). Prior to zone was eating strict Paleo. Now doing Paleo/Zone with more yams and fruit due to much higher required carb intake than traditional Paleo. So here's the quagmire...

So all of this major improvement and I have never been so tired in my life... totally fatigued all day, have "tired dry eyes," just want to lay down, etc. Waking up at 1:30 and 4:30 every night like clockwork to pee. Don't feel like I'm sleeping great. Here's the question:

1) Is this fatigue normal? Read in many places it is due to increased fat burn and body moving out arichidonic acid (sp?) My coach recommended the upped fat intake due to my fatigue. Upped it as Rx'ed and still no relief.

Any help is appreciated.
It's normal to feel fatigued on a low carb diet. Replace all that fat with minimally processed carbs and you'll be fine.

AIS Sports Nutrition Factsheet - Carbohydrate.

Substrate utilization during exercise in active people.

Olympic.org - Nutrition for Athletes.

*All links wfs*
Old 11-13-2011, 08:37 AM   #5
Jonathan Vechet

Profile:

Why do you think you require the same amount of calories as your coach when he's shorter and weighs less than you?
Old 11-13-2011, 08:51 AM   #6
James Mazzarisi

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonathan Vechet View Post
Why do you think you require the same amount of calories as your coach when he's shorter and weighs less than you?
I'm not exactly sure what I require. He suggested the 5x5 and his reasoning seemed sound. Still only 3 weeks into this so I'm experimenting. I am going to switch to 20-21 blocks as the 5 block meals just feel like I'm getting too much meat/protein. Only thing I have to go on right now is how I feel unless anyone else has similar experiences or suggestions they can share.
Old 11-13-2011, 08:54 AM   #7
James Mazzarisi

Profile:

"It's normal to feel fatigued on a low carb diet. Replace all that fat with minimally processed carbs and you'll be fine."

I'm eating much more carb on the zone. Looking back at when I was just Paleo my only carbs were vehetables and 1-2 pieces of fruit per day. Your suggestion of minimally processed carbs is well-taken,... I may try that.
Old 11-13-2011, 09:15 AM   #8
Katherine Derbyshire

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by James Mazzarisi View Post
I'm not exactly sure what I require. He suggested the 5x5 and his reasoning seemed sound. Still only 3 weeks into this so I'm experimenting. I am going to switch to 20-21 blocks as the 5 block meals just feel like I'm getting too much meat/protein. Only thing I have to go on right now is how I feel unless anyone else has similar experiences or suggestions they can share.
Wait a minute. You feel fatigued, so you're going to eat less???

If Paleo was working for you, why did you switch to Zone in the first place.

Katherine

Last edited by Katherine Derbyshire : 11-13-2011 at 09:31 AM.
Old 11-13-2011, 11:00 AM   #9
James Mazzarisi

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katherine Derbyshire View Post
Wait a minute. You feel fatigued, so you're going to eat less???

If Paleo was working for you, why did you switch to Zone in the first place.

Katherine
Asking myslef the same thing right now. Basically my coach and I have a good relationship. He was surprised I wasn't zoning, as based on his experience with himself and others the zone diet really propelled them to the next level. As for the amount I'm eating it's definitely more now than when I was just Paleo. And like I said my workout performance has improved but it feels like something is just not right. Don't want to quit the zone experiment just yet. If this persists for one more week then I'll drop it.
Old 11-14-2011, 08:14 AM   #10
Michael Gray

Profile:

How's your water intake?