CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > Community > Stuff and Nonsense
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Stuff and Nonsense For off-topic chatter. Keep it PG-13; no sex, politics or religion!

Old 02-07-2009, 06:41 AM   #1071
S.S.

Profile:

Re: Seen at the globo yesterday

Quote:
Originally Posted by Benjammin Gartner View Post

Next time teach her a lesson by swapping her baby with a fake one and then drop a dumbell on it...

Is there something wrong with me?

How about wallball shots?
Old 02-07-2009, 06:48 AM   #1072
Benjammin Gartner

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shane Skowron View Post
How about wallball shots?
I like where your head is

que the dead baby jokes!
Old 02-07-2009, 09:19 AM   #1073
Frank Dennis

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff Haugland View Post
I train MT and we often do "body conditioning" with controlled training partners. You move from shins up all the way to blocking head kicks. You get to tell your partner to go harder or softer. You start each throwing leg kicks at the same time so that shins connect. This is by far the worst and handled the most gingerly. Then you move on to leg kicks to outside and inside of legs, then liver and spleen shots, then high rib shots, then head kicks while blocking, and after is body shot punching..

Also, the best I have found for shin conditioning at home is a beer bottle taped up with athletic tape so that is doesn't break, and rolling up and down and then tapping up and down.
Oh, dude, I am so bringing that drill to my class. That's awesome!

Does the shin conditioning with the beer bottle work better if it's freshly drunk?
Old 02-07-2009, 01:51 PM   #1074
Dustin Ma

Profile:

Beer bottle works by deadening the nerves on your shins. However it DOES NOT harden your shins. To harden your shins PLEASE PLEASE do not roll bottles on your them, instead kick heavy bags. Lots and lots of heavy bags.

Look up Wolf's Law.
Old 02-07-2009, 04:17 PM   #1075
Frank Dennis

Profile:

You're right Dustin, wasn't suggesting that anyone forgo bag work. I'm familiar with Wolf's Law, or the concept anyway, I wasn't aware that that process was named for someone. Learned something new. But yeah, just deadening nerves and doing nothing to strengthen the bone will lead you to a breaking stuff on the wrong side of your skin.

I think a little extra work on the shins with a (safe) object isn't terrible, though, as long as you're doing plenty of bag and pad work. With all respect to Jeff (I'm serious about stealing that drill), I'd personally never do it with something breakable like a bottle. Although, as he'd said, it's taped up so if it does crack, it should stick together. Still, I'll stick to using rods.
Old 02-07-2009, 07:39 PM   #1076
Dustin Ma

Profile:

My Kru had a small wooden rod he carried around and would random tap us on our shins every now and then during training. I hated when he would sneak up on us..
Old 02-08-2009, 02:12 PM   #1077
Jason Hicks

Profile:

As I walk into the free weight area today I see a crowd gathered around one of the smith machines and wonder what sort of shenanigans I might be about to witness. As I get closer I see there is a preacher curl bench dragged into the thing and 3 plates loaded on the bar. I am curious because I know even with the reverse grip clean form that these cats use none of these guys can curl that much even with the other two "spotting" them. I go on about my business and as I load the bar for my deadlifts the morning peace of the gym is shattered by the biggest of the three screaming like he just learned why you shouldn't drop the soap while he was doing what they were calling "Box Squats" to the seat of the bench. The seat of the bench wouldn't be parrallel to me and I am 6'2" he was about 5'9" I understand the concept of high box squats but these weren't even that they were just touch and go on the smith machine.
Old 02-09-2009, 12:02 AM   #1078
Jeff Haugland

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank Dennis View Post
Oh, dude, I am so bringing that drill to my class. That's awesome!

Does the shin conditioning with the beer bottle work better if it's freshly drunk?
It is one of my favs! Enjoy. And, I've used the same one for like 2 years, but any excuse to treat yourself to a fresh beer.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dustin Ma View Post
Beer bottle works by deadening the nerves on your shins. However it DOES NOT harden your shins. To harden your shins PLEASE PLEASE do not roll bottles on your them, instead kick heavy bags. Lots and lots of heavy bags.

Look up Wolf's Law.
Believe me there is lots of heavy bag training involved as well. I realize that a beer bottle can't replace bag or pad work. It makes me feel like I am doing something productive while vegging out after training.

Last edited by Jeff Haugland; 02-09-2009 at 12:08 AM..
Old 02-09-2009, 06:41 AM   #1079
Frank Dennis

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff Haugland View Post
Believe me there is lots of heavy bag training involved as well. I realize that a beer bottle can't replace bag or pad work. It makes me feel like I am doing something productive while vegging out after training.
Yeah, that's exactly what I do, only with sticks (thick dowel rod, broomstick, bit of pvc).

Last edited by Frank Dennis; 02-09-2009 at 06:41 AM.. Reason: grammar fail
Old 02-09-2009, 12:52 PM   #1080
Claude M Crowe

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Renee Lee View Post
well didn't you know? according to rippetoe, insufficient yelling in the gym causes bad form
I'm reasonable sure that Rippetoe expect a reasonable amount of effort, whereas this fine fellow exerted himself not one iota.