CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > Community > Stuff and Nonsense
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Stuff and Nonsense For off-topic chatter. Keep it PG-13; no sex, politics or religion!

Old 02-06-2009, 02:07 PM   #1061
Frank Dennis

Profile:
Re: Seen at the globo yesterday

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryan Jones View Post
Hah I so read this as getting smacked in the abs with Pad Thai...which would suck, I'm allergic to peanuts.
Hehe... so, like, hardcore splosh training

(Link is visually WFS, but conceptually scarring)

(Also, after the last joke I made on the CrossFitMatch.com thread, I'd like to make it clear that I only know about this crap because I watch Graham Norton).
Old 02-06-2009, 02:12 PM   #1062
Amber Mathwig

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank Dennis View Post
(Link is visually WFS, but conceptually scarring)

Agreed.....
Old 02-06-2009, 02:41 PM   #1063
Scott Stevens

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryan Jones View Post
Hah I so read this as getting smacked in the abs with Pad Thai...which would suck, I'm allergic to peanuts.
That sounds DELICIOUS.
Old 02-06-2009, 04:25 PM   #1064
Jamie J. Skibicki

Profile:

So I'm at the gym today and the young buck I help out from time to time (he still does an arm day, but his squats are pretty solid and deep) introduces me to another young buck. THis kid want to learn how to squat and deadlift and do them right. But he's still thinking in terms of body parts.

I'm thinking just teach the squats and if he wants programming help, he can ask for that as well. I don't want to push them too much all at once. Suggestions, ideas? By the way, both are skinny. I know SS and Gomad are the true path, but these kids won't buy in right away.
Old 02-06-2009, 05:25 PM   #1065
Neil Bauersfeld

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jamie J. Skibicki View Post
I'm thinking just teach the squats and if he wants programming help, he can ask for that as well. I don't want to push them too much all at once. Suggestions, ideas? By the way, both are skinny. I know SS and Gomad are the true path, but these kids won't buy in right away.
The fact that he brought his friend to you, means you have these two on the hook. They are listening to you. But kids that age, it has to be their idea. They have to ask for the help and they don't hear unsolicited advice. Teach them to squat and tell them to expect linear progression. When they come back in a couple weeks stuck and stalled out, then it is time for the second half of The Secret... Squats AND MILK, b*****s!

(You really should have copyrighted that line when you had the chance. It is now being tossed around casually by the unworthy, people like me.)
Old 02-06-2009, 05:31 PM   #1066
Karin Jonczak

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jamie J. Skibicki View Post
So I'm at the gym today and the young buck I help out from time to time (he still does an arm day, but his squats are pretty solid and deep) introduces me to another young buck. THis kid want to learn how to squat and deadlift and do them right. But he's still thinking in terms of body parts.

Honestly, buy them each a copy of SS... and let them at it...

Keep working with them, good luck!
Old 02-06-2009, 07:25 PM   #1067
Michael Peachey

Profile:

Long time reader, first time poster in this thread... can't help myself after what I saw today!

Now, I'm not one of these guys who's against breastfeeding in public... but a woman came into the gym today, and then proceeded to feed in the very middle of the gym (no, not on a bench against the wall or anything like that). That was a bit much for me, but, well, I could sort of deal with it.

She took it to a whole new level though when she finished, then put her baby down to sleep on one of the mats in the middle of the floor, so literally had to walk around the sleeping infant between my sets.

Oh, and then she turned the music down so it wouldn't wake the baby and then went to the treadmill.

To top it all off she was looking at me as if I was weird as I was doing O-Lifts. If she were to ask me to "keep the noise down" I think I just would have lost it!

WTF!!!
Old 02-07-2009, 01:24 AM   #1068
John Simmons

Profile:

This was too good not to post:

I'm at the rack doing the WOD while overhearing a trio of guys who were dropping the word 'isolation' about every other sentence. Kinda funny, but it got better. I don't know what kind of exercise they were doing but I hear one complaing about hurting his back (probably not very serious). It was then I heard it, "Its just my back. Its not like its anything related to the exercise, like my shoulder." I am glad that I didn't have the bar in hand at that point 'cause I probably would have dropped it.

Maybe it's just the engineer in me, but I found that to be very funny.
Old 02-07-2009, 01:30 AM   #1069
Jeff Haugland

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank Dennis View Post
Still, the best way to train for taking punches is just taking them, and incrementally notching up the power as you adapt.

Another fun way to adapt to impacts, this one for when you want to inure your shins to throwing and checking kicks, is to take something like a dowel rod or section of broomstick and roll it up and down your shinbone. When you get used to that, start whacking yourself with it.

You can also spend many hours kicking a bag, of course, but when your muscles won't work anymore you can still work on your pain management.

I train MT and we often do "body conditioning" with controlled training partners. You move from shins up all the way to blocking head kicks. You get to tell your partner to go harder or softer. You start each throwing leg kicks at the same time so that shins connect. This is by far the worst and handled the most gingerly. Then you move on to leg kicks to outside and inside of legs, then liver and spleen shots, then high rib shots, then head kicks while blocking, and after is body shot punching..

Also, the best I have found for shin conditioning at home is a beer bottle taped up with athletic tape so that is doesn't break, and rolling up and down and then tapping up and down.
Old 02-07-2009, 06:37 AM   #1070
Benjammin Gartner

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Peachey View Post
Long time reader, first time poster in this thread... can't help myself after what I saw today!

Now, I'm not one of these guys who's against breastfeeding in public... but a woman came into the gym today, and then proceeded to feed in the very middle of the gym (no, not on a bench against the wall or anything like that). That was a bit much for me, but, well, I could sort of deal with it.

She took it to a whole new level though when she finished, then put her baby down to sleep on one of the mats in the middle of the floor, so literally had to walk around the sleeping infant between my sets.

Oh, and then she turned the music down so it wouldn't wake the baby and then went to the treadmill.

To top it all off she was looking at me as if I was weird as I was doing O-Lifts. If she were to ask me to "keep the noise down" I think I just would have lost it!

WTF!!!
To me that takes the cake.......I mean holy crap!!!!! Not only are you being a complete ******* by getting in peoples way, you are also hindering their workouts. Oh and not to mention PUTTING YOUR KID IN A DANGEROUS PLACE! They invented daycare for a reason.

Next time teach her a lesson by swapping her baby with a fake one and then drop a dumbell on it...

Is there something wrong with me?