CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > Community > Stuff and Nonsense
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Stuff and Nonsense For off-topic chatter. Keep it PG-13; no sex, politics or religion!

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 02-06-2009, 02:07 PM   #1061
Frank Dennis
Member Frank Dennis is offline
 
Frank Dennis's Avatar
 
Profile:
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Indianapolis  IN
Posts: 1,162
Re: Seen at the globo yesterday

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryan Jones View Post
Hah I so read this as getting smacked in the abs with Pad Thai...which would suck, I'm allergic to peanuts.
Hehe... so, like, hardcore splosh training

(Link is visually WFS, but conceptually scarring)

(Also, after the last joke I made on the CrossFitMatch.com thread, I'd like to make it clear that I only know about this crap because I watch Graham Norton).
__________________
"It isn't safe out here. It is wondrous... with treasures to satiate desires both subtle and gross. But it is not for the timid!"
  Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2009, 02:12 PM   #1062
Amber Mathwig
Member Amber Mathwig is offline
 
Amber Mathwig's Avatar
 
Profile:
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Chesapeake  VA
Posts: 1,148
Re: Seen at the globo yesterday

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank Dennis View Post
(Link is visually WFS, but conceptually scarring)

Agreed.....
__________________
I'm on a boat.....
  Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2009, 02:41 PM   #1063
Scott Stevens
Member Scott Stevens is offline
 
Profile:
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Garden City  MI
Posts: 651
Re: Seen at the globo yesterday

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryan Jones View Post
Hah I so read this as getting smacked in the abs with Pad Thai...which would suck, I'm allergic to peanuts.
That sounds DELICIOUS.
  Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2009, 04:25 PM   #1064
Jamie J. Skibicki
Member Jamie J. Skibicki is offline
 
Profile:
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Pittsburgh  PA
Posts: 8,841
Re: Seen at the globo yesterday

So I'm at the gym today and the young buck I help out from time to time (he still does an arm day, but his squats are pretty solid and deep) introduces me to another young buck. THis kid want to learn how to squat and deadlift and do them right. But he's still thinking in terms of body parts.

I'm thinking just teach the squats and if he wants programming help, he can ask for that as well. I don't want to push them too much all at once. Suggestions, ideas? By the way, both are skinny. I know SS and Gomad are the true path, but these kids won't buy in right away.
  Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2009, 05:25 PM   #1065
Neil Bauersfeld
Member Neil Bauersfeld is offline
 
Profile:
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Seattle  WA
Posts: 212
Re: Seen at the globo yesterday

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jamie J. Skibicki View Post
I'm thinking just teach the squats and if he wants programming help, he can ask for that as well. I don't want to push them too much all at once. Suggestions, ideas? By the way, both are skinny. I know SS and Gomad are the true path, but these kids won't buy in right away.
The fact that he brought his friend to you, means you have these two on the hook. They are listening to you. But kids that age, it has to be their idea. They have to ask for the help and they don't hear unsolicited advice. Teach them to squat and tell them to expect linear progression. When they come back in a couple weeks stuck and stalled out, then it is time for the second half of The Secret... Squats AND MILK, b*****s!

(You really should have copyrighted that line when you had the chance. It is now being tossed around casually by the unworthy, people like me.)
  Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2009, 05:31 PM   #1066
Karin Jonczak
Member Karin Jonczak is offline
 
Karin Jonczak's Avatar
 
Profile:
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Oakford  PA
Posts: 1,447
Re: Seen at the globo yesterday

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jamie J. Skibicki View Post
So I'm at the gym today and the young buck I help out from time to time (he still does an arm day, but his squats are pretty solid and deep) introduces me to another young buck. THis kid want to learn how to squat and deadlift and do them right. But he's still thinking in terms of body parts.

I'm thinking just teach the squats and if he wants programming help, he can ask for that as well. I don't want to push them too much all at once. Suggestions, ideas? By the way, both are skinny. I know SS and Gomad are the true path, but these kids won't buy in right away.
Honestly, buy them each a copy of SS... and let them at it...

Keep working with them, good luck!
__________________
The stopwatch is a useful tool, but it is also blind to the quality of the individual effort.
  Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2009, 07:25 PM   #1067
Michael Peachey
Member Michael Peachey is offline
 
Profile:
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Adelaide  SA
Posts: 65
Re: Seen at the globo yesterday

Long time reader, first time poster in this thread... can't help myself after what I saw today!

Now, I'm not one of these guys who's against breastfeeding in public... but a woman came into the gym today, and then proceeded to feed in the very middle of the gym (no, not on a bench against the wall or anything like that). That was a bit much for me, but, well, I could sort of deal with it.

She took it to a whole new level though when she finished, then put her baby down to sleep on one of the mats in the middle of the floor, so literally had to walk around the sleeping infant between my sets.

Oh, and then she turned the music down so it wouldn't wake the baby and then went to the treadmill.

To top it all off she was looking at me as if I was weird as I was doing O-Lifts. If she were to ask me to "keep the noise down" I think I just would have lost it!

WTF!!!
  Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2009, 01:24 AM   #1068
John Simmons
Member John Simmons is offline
 
Profile:
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Clovis  NM
Posts: 19
Re: Seen at the globo yesterday

This was too good not to post:

I'm at the rack doing the WOD while overhearing a trio of guys who were dropping the word 'isolation' about every other sentence. Kinda funny, but it got better. I don't know what kind of exercise they were doing but I hear one complaing about hurting his back (probably not very serious). It was then I heard it, "Its just my back. Its not like its anything related to the exercise, like my shoulder." I am glad that I didn't have the bar in hand at that point 'cause I probably would have dropped it.

Maybe it's just the engineer in me, but I found that to be very funny.
  Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2009, 01:30 AM   #1069
Jeff Haugland
Member Jeff Haugland is offline
 
Jeff Haugland's Avatar
 
Profile:
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Colorado Springs  CO
Posts: 101
Re: Seen at the globo yesterday

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank Dennis View Post
Still, the best way to train for taking punches is just taking them, and incrementally notching up the power as you adapt.

Another fun way to adapt to impacts, this one for when you want to inure your shins to throwing and checking kicks, is to take something like a dowel rod or section of broomstick and roll it up and down your shinbone. When you get used to that, start whacking yourself with it.

You can also spend many hours kicking a bag, of course, but when your muscles won't work anymore you can still work on your pain management.

I train MT and we often do "body conditioning" with controlled training partners. You move from shins up all the way to blocking head kicks. You get to tell your partner to go harder or softer. You start each throwing leg kicks at the same time so that shins connect. This is by far the worst and handled the most gingerly. Then you move on to leg kicks to outside and inside of legs, then liver and spleen shots, then high rib shots, then head kicks while blocking, and after is body shot punching..

Also, the best I have found for shin conditioning at home is a beer bottle taped up with athletic tape so that is doesn't break, and rolling up and down and then tapping up and down.
  Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2009, 06:37 AM   #1070
Benjammin Gartner
Departed Benjammin Gartner is offline
 
Profile:
Join Date: Jan 1970
 
Posts: 99
Re: Seen at the globo yesterday

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Peachey View Post
Long time reader, first time poster in this thread... can't help myself after what I saw today!

Now, I'm not one of these guys who's against breastfeeding in public... but a woman came into the gym today, and then proceeded to feed in the very middle of the gym (no, not on a bench against the wall or anything like that). That was a bit much for me, but, well, I could sort of deal with it.

She took it to a whole new level though when she finished, then put her baby down to sleep on one of the mats in the middle of the floor, so literally had to walk around the sleeping infant between my sets.

Oh, and then she turned the music down so it wouldn't wake the baby and then went to the treadmill.

To top it all off she was looking at me as if I was weird as I was doing O-Lifts. If she were to ask me to "keep the noise down" I think I just would have lost it!

WTF!!!
To me that takes the cake.......I mean holy crap!!!!! Not only are you being a complete ******* by getting in peoples way, you are also hindering their workouts. Oh and not to mention PUTTING YOUR KID IN A DANGEROUS PLACE! They invented daycare for a reason.

Next time teach her a lesson by swapping her baby with a fake one and then drop a dumbell on it...

Is there something wrong with me?
  Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Who is X-fitting at a Globo gym?? Alex Reynolds Fitness 73 01-27-2014 01:20 PM
Why I love Globo-gyms Corey Cedeno Community 18 03-18-2008 12:10 PM
Quit my globo gym? Tim Luby Equipment 7 02-26-2008 03:49 PM
Globo Gym training Shane Bradbury Running a CrossFit Facility 20 12-14-2007 08:03 AM
Globo-gym issues Leslie Ap Stuff and Nonsense 21 12-06-2007 05:55 PM


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 05:28 AM.


CrossFit is a registered trademark of CrossFit Inc.