CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Exercises
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Exercises Movements, technique & proper execution

Old 06-24-2007, 03:03 PM   #1
matthew maclaren lawson

Profile:
Ive been working my way into some of the exercises that are common place in the WOD's so overhead squats and other exercises im unaccustomed to are placed in every workout at not so heavy weight so as to improve my skill in them. Today was a rest day but in stead of this i did 3 rounds (21, 15, 9) of overhead squat, pull ups w/ 25#s, 30#'s, 35#s, ring dips, and handstand push ups. by the time i finished i had a funny numb feeling in the underside of my forearms. is this suspect of my routine?

Also: I just got my rings in the other day, ive practiced with the push ups, pull ups, and dips (dips suck by the way... in a good way) Can anyone offer a good routine for becoming more accustomed to the rings? is what im doing, entergrating their use into my WOD's enough?

Also X2: With regards to the handstand push ups, is there a way to become more proficient at them without a spotter?

Any help you guys can offer would be much appreciated.

Thanks in advance

-Matt (new cross fit guy)
Old 06-24-2007, 03:42 PM   #2
Barney Ring

Profile:
With regards to the numbness in your forearms, I think it would be the OHS causing this. The more you practice these the more comfortable they will become.

Using the rings will make you more accostumed to them. When I first got mine I used them for all pullups and dips. Even if it made the WOD take longer to perform. My motivation was to be able to do a Muscle up as soon as possible. If this is the case for you, practice you false grip as well.

For HSPUs, elevated push ups are a logical place to start. Start with feet elevated as high as possible while maintaining perfect form. When the height you started at gets comfortable increase it. Go slow and stay injury free.

Welcome to the team.
Old 06-24-2007, 04:35 PM   #3
matthew maclaren lawson

Profile:
thanks Barney,
I just want to get to the point where i can do the HSPU with out the use of a wall. As it is right now i can do about 15 without stopping.

With the rings i think that is gonna be what i do. Do you think it is O.K. to add to the WOD's or will that compromise the coach's ultimate goal?
Old 06-24-2007, 04:48 PM   #4
Connie Morreale

Profile:
there is a thread thats been going this week about balance in a handstand. maybe it will help you for your hspu.

http://www.crossfit.com/discus/messages/22/43507.html
Old 06-24-2007, 08:46 PM   #5
Blair Robert Lowe

Profile:
Yeah, about free HSPU...these are more about balancing the handstand than the pushing power of it. While there is a strength requirement, the balancing skill typically takes more time and practice than gaining the strength.