CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Fitness
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Fitness Theory and Practice. CrossFit's rationale & foundations. Who is fit? What is fitness?

Old 04-18-2012, 08:14 AM   #951
Chris Kemp

Profile:
Re: CFSB - Ask your questions here!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jo Hsu View Post
Hi guys,
Thank you for this incredibly informative, educative forum . I have a small question; I apologize if it's already been answered. Right now I'm following the 70s Big S&C program. At some point in the future, though, I want to try CFSB. I'm researching a lot of different strength programs just to try and understand the philosophies behind different programmings so that I might be smarter when designing my own training methods. I'm curious about the high-rep schemes in CFSB. Are these to build strength or to condition athletes to perform under high-stress situations (in order to prepare athletes for CrossFit competitions)? In other words, are the sets of 3x5 and 5x3 meant for strength training, and the 20rep, or 12-9-6, or 15-12-9 schemes more for practicing CrossFit conditions?

Thanks for your help,
Jo
Jo - the high rep sets are the real magic in the program. They are where you use your low rep strength to develop capacity with direct relevance to Crossfit.

Cheers, kempie
Old 04-18-2012, 08:16 AM   #952
Chris Kemp

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scottie Sellers View Post
What percentage of 1 rep max would you suggest to use on following the program? And how long to rest between sets? These questions may have already been answered. If so, sorry for asking again.
Scotty, I'd suggest starting with 5 reps at 80% of your 1rm and starting your high rep sets at the same load. Add 5lb per week to your working 5 load and add 25lb to your high rep load whenever you are able to get 15 or more clean reps.

Cheers, kempie
Old 04-18-2012, 08:24 AM   #953
Chris Kemp

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yahya Kohgadai View Post
So I was doing nothing but strength and oly work for the last 6 months. I got some good strength and size gains and unfortunately a lot of fat as well (was to be expected). I could stand to gain more strength and muscle but I'm a PT and I'm getting so fat that it's hurting my business. Plus my conditioning is getting horrific. I can't demonstrate a few burpees w/o getting winded. Anyway, the reason I'm not following the template and coming here w/my own plan is that I have a few stipulations:

I want to have a dedicated oly day on Saturday at my old box. I want to include dips, pullups and bench press.

Main priority is to lose the fat and keep the muscle (a tiny bit of strength loss is acceptable as well). Here's what I was thinking:

Mon:
LBBS 3x5
Met-con

Tues:
Press 3x5
Dip 1x5 weighted, 1xMR at BW
Metcon

Wed:
Deadlift 1x5
Metcon

Thurs:
rest

Fri:
Bench
Pullups 1x5 weighted, 1xMR at BW
Metcon

Sat:
Oly day (whatever the coach has us do)
5x3 HBBS or Front Squats

Thoughts?
The program has little to do with the CFSB program that kicked off this thread. TBH it sounds like your problem is a lack of conditioning work and a poor nutritional plan. Consequently, it matters little to your goals what strength program you choose if those factors are not addressed.

Cheers, kempie
Old 08-13-2012, 03:36 PM   #954
Jo Hsu

Profile:

Hey Chris, I'm back! After following a more novice-based linear progression for the past five months, I've plateaued on all my lifts enough times that I would like to switch to a more intermediate training program. I've had my eye on CFSB all this time, and am eager to start, but I do have a couple of questions.

My cleans have always been a bit lacking-- in technique, and I just need to work on explosive power rather than lifting slow. I'd like to incorporate cleans, and thought about subbing them for front squats in this program. Would that be all right?

Additionally, why does the program choose the press over the bench? I feel like, because the bench uses more muscle groups (or larger/stronger ones?), it might be more advantageous to train the bench. However, I'm also more dissatisfied with my press than my bench, so it may behoove me to continue working on my press... Yet also my press stalls out so much more frequently and easily than my bench, so I worry that my time would be better spent on the bench press. (Sorry for the convoluted train of thought). Do you have any advice?

Thanks!
Old 08-13-2012, 04:53 PM   #955
Jo Hsu

Profile:

Sorry-- one more question: How do you go about selecting a starting weight for the high-rep protocols? (such as 12=>15 or 10-7-4)
Old 09-26-2012, 02:26 AM   #956
Stefan Pavlovic

Profile:

I play basketball 4 days a week so im avaliable for work out on monday,friday,saturday (i have a sandbag,plyobox,medball,135lb barbell,pull ups and dips bar):How would you suggest me to workout (im new to cross fit),and what do you think of incrasing reps instead of weights because i dont have other equipment at the moment
Old 04-12-2013, 01:08 AM   #957
Jay Fernandez

Profile:

Anyone ever do EMOMs with this program?
Old 04-12-2013, 07:38 AM   #958
Adam Carlson

Profile:

EMOMs?
Old 04-12-2013, 08:09 AM   #959
Marcus Allen

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam Carlson View Post
EMOMs?
Every Minute On the Minute

Yeah- I did some. Ususally 1 or 2 reps at a high percentage of max. If you couple it with a low skill movement you end up with a great conditioning stimulus. Like...

EMOM for 10 minutes
2reps Clean @ 75-80% 1RM
airdyne at 65% RPE for remainder of minute
or

EMOM for 10min
1 snatch at 80%
jump rope for remainder

stuff like that works really well. it is easy to sub them in for the high rep sets.
Old 04-12-2013, 08:12 AM   #960
Jeff Enge

Profile:

Also, if you do them with a built-in rest (as in, each set programmed to take 30 seconds or so), you can do heavier loads and get some extra strength work in there.