CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Fitness
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Fitness Theory and Practice. CrossFit's rationale & foundations. Who is fit? What is fitness?

Old 07-16-2009, 03:54 PM   #461
Mark Lanza

Profile:
Re: CFSB - Ask your questions here!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Kemp View Post
Mark - what was your strength training like before you started CFSB? Also, what are your numbers for 3x, 5x and high rep?

Cheers, kempie
Thanks Kempie, Brian and Ted. I'll try to answer your questions in a single post:

I lifted on and off for about 8yrs prior to starting CF last August, but basically did BP, BS, some shoulder work (flyes and sitting presses), wtd pulls, etc. I peppered in some C2 work as well. I was a recreational lifter, never too serious about it but adamant about doing it nonetheless.
My 3x and 5x SP numbers on CFSB started at 5x140 and 3x150, finishing with 3x150. My high-reps stayed at about 15x105, a figure which seems to make sense with the 3x and 5x. My 12-7-4 figures were flat as well.
I started my 2nd CFSB cycle this past Sunday and am inserting BP in the BS day in the hopes that Rip is right. I've really missed doing this lift since starting CF (other than in Linda), by the way. Sunday's 5x BP was 225, and my BW max-rep BP is 24. I'm also working in a Wednesday WOD involving high rep bbell BP (BW) or ring dips (unweighted).

I'm not hell-bent on pressing 200+, just puzzled that the other figures have shown improvement and it's remained stagnant. Guys, if you know of any 'specialization' I could do, I'm certainly open to listening to it. Of course, I'll appreciate it as well.

By the way Ted, I have a written log of every workout I've ever done over the past 10 years, but it's not online. Too bad you don't live in Indianapolis -- I love showing it to people. It's like looking through an old photo album -- great fun to laugh at some of the weights and exercises I used to do. Kinda like seeing pics of 80's hair.

Thanks again ~
Old 07-16-2009, 04:04 PM   #462
Ted Apollo

Profile:

you should start a log in this forum. you could back date a bit and list the last few months?

i know what your talking about looking back at workouts. 30+ sets per bodypart. lol
Old 07-16-2009, 06:52 PM   #463
Darrell E. White

Profile:

Mark, I went back and looked at your post and saw that the question pertained primarily to 1RM, right? Kempie nailed it if so. CFSB is designed to maximize your ability to perform CF WOD's, hence the emphasis on 3 and 5R maxes. You may or may not increase your 1RM too very much, but your 3 and 5RM begin to get closer together, and both begin to approach your 1RM. Jeff calls this "compression of the top range."

FWIW I haven't even thought about 1RM since I started CFSB, but all of my 3 and 5RM's have climbed.

Hope that helps.

bingo
Old 07-16-2009, 07:57 PM   #464
Andrew H. Meador

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darrell E. White View Post
FWIW I haven't even thought about 1RM since I started CFSB, but all of my 3 and 5RM's have climbed.
And then your 3 and 5 rep maxes push beyond your old 1 rep max...
Old 07-17-2009, 03:43 AM   #465
Mark Lanza

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darrell E. White View Post

Hope that helps.

bingo
Thanks Doc, but my 3x and 5x haven't climbed on SP...and neither did my high rep movements. Week 6 of the cycle asks for a 5, 3...3, 1 progression and all the figures were flat compared to wk1.

I'm going to try some experiments to see if they influence the movement's capacity. If the numbers remains stagnant, I may just sub (power) C&J for the SP. I really like that lift anyway...and I kinda miss doing it.

No matter, I thank you guys for your help on this. As a side note, I'm beginning to think this 'ceiling' may be more of a mental sticking point versus a physical one.

Have a great day ~
Old 07-18-2009, 03:53 AM   #466
Scot Heyes

Profile:

Hi Guys,

Reading the article I am confused as on page 2 it states:

"If you have any desire to do anything extra after you finish a strength workout, you didn't go hard enough"

yet the 6 week CFSB Programming towards the back of the article has -

warm up
strength work
10 - 20 min met con
Gymnastic Skill/Development

It is ok the still do a WOD after some strength bias work?
Old 07-18-2009, 05:54 AM   #467
Chris Kemp

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Lanza View Post
Thanks Doc, but my 3x and 5x haven't climbed on SP...and neither did my high rep movements. Week 6 of the cycle asks for a 5, 3...3, 1 progression and all the figures were flat compared to wk1.
Aha - may have a little insight here! The 5, 3 ... 1 is a suggested warm up ramp to a new 1RM. The goal is not to hit new 3 and 5 rm's on the way. If you matched your existing 3 and 5's prior to attempting a new limit rep I'm not surprised with the result.

That said, there should be a little progress on the press at one end or the other. Would you mind sending me a log of your CFSB press work from the first cycle - maybe there is something we can fiddle with you get you on the right path. Email or PM is fine.

Cheers, kempie
Old 07-18-2009, 05:20 PM   #468
Mark Lanza

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Kemp View Post
Aha - may have a little insight here! The 5, 3 ... 1 is a suggested warm up ramp to a new 1RM. The goal is not to hit new 3 and 5 rm's on the way. If you matched your existing 3 and 5's prior to attempting a new limit rep I'm not surprised with the result.

That said, there should be a little progress on the press at one end or the other. Would you mind sending me a log of your CFSB press work from the first cycle - maybe there is something we can fiddle with you get you on the right path. Email or PM is fine.

Cheers, kempie
Hey Kempie -

I'd be happy to send you that info -- thanks for offering to take a look. As a side note, I didn't know that week 6 was only intended as a 1RM attempt, and I appreciate you pointing this out to me. It follows that the same is also true for week 6 of BS and DL....but why not for FS as well? The template doesn't show the same protocol.

Anyway, back to SP. The 1RM I was referring to in my first post was done as part of a CFT about two weeks following the end of the cycle. It was a main page WOD and I thought it would be a opp'y to test my progress...or lack of.

Enough babbling -- I'll send you the info soon.

Thanks Again,
Mark
Old 07-18-2009, 09:59 PM   #469
Marcus Allen

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scot Heyes View Post
Hi Guys,

Reading the article I am confused as on page 2 it states:

"If you have any desire to do anything extra after you finish a strength workout, you didn't go hard enough"
This refers to MP WODs as many people aren't truly going after the work out on strength days.

The CFSB protocol requires MetCon in addition to strength work.
Old 07-19-2009, 11:22 AM   #470
Grant Kim

Profile:

So I've been doing CFSB for about 4 weeks straight then I ended up taking 2 weeks off because I was off in vacation.. Should I pick up where i left off or start over? Or whats the best thing to do here?