CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Workout of the Day
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Workout of the Day Questions & performance regarding CrossFit's WOD

Old 04-06-2006, 09:48 AM   #1
Martin Schap

Profile:
So I'm going to do Elizabeth later today (I'm on a 24 hr. delay, it's how I roll) and the last time I did it I subbed 25 lbs. weighted dips for the ring dips. My reasoning was that it kept me moving faster so it's more in the spirit of the workout and it's still harder than regular dips, though probably not as hard as ring dips. On a side note, I ordered power rings this morning, so this should be the last time I'll have this issue. What does anyone think of my sub? Should I add weight? I weigh about 160, and last time I completed Elizabeth in 10:25.
Old 04-06-2006, 09:56 AM   #2
Matt Gagliardi

Profile:
IMO, increase the reps not the weight...I don't think adding weight is nearly as difficult as tripling the reps.
Old 04-06-2006, 10:26 AM   #3
Allen Yeh

Profile:
when you're doing your 63rd regular dip you start thinking...I really need to get myself some rings...ugh
Old 04-06-2006, 10:51 AM   #4
Tim McFarland

Profile:
I just made a pair out of pvc today! woo hoo! I'm operating about 3 days behind, and I saw Elizabeth on the way...having to do 135 dips is a strong incentive to get off my *** and make rings. Besides, it was cheap and really easy to do.
Old 04-06-2006, 10:56 AM   #5
Martin Schap

Profile:
Well, if it'll make you guys happy I'll do the 3:1 sub. Hopefully this will never be an issue again since my power rings ought to get here next week.
Old 04-06-2006, 11:21 AM   #6
Matt Gagliardi

Profile:
Martin, you certainly don't have to "make us happy". Do what works for you. I just think (personal experience) that tripling the reps is a lot more difficult than adding weight. At the end of the day, it's about what you think is best for you...not what you think will make people on the Internet happy.
Old 04-06-2006, 11:43 AM   #7
Roger Harrell

Profile:
Tripling reps is just different than adding weight. Difficulty also would be based on how much weight. How about trippling weight vs trippling reps. Which would be harder then Matt? :-) 3X bodyweight dips? Yikes. New CF challenge?
Old 04-06-2006, 05:31 PM   #8
Matt Gagliardi

Profile:
Oh, absolutely Roger...if you start talking about serious weight I'll grant you the difficulty will get jacked up. In this case though, I wouldn't consider 25lbs. a lot of weight to add.

The sub in this case is pretty well known...triple reps. I suspect that Coach probably tried both multiples on reps and weighted reps, and for whatever reason settled on multiples. I'm generally pretty happy going with Coach's suggestions/demands.

Of course, the best alternative is just to make yourself a pair of ghetto rings for $5.