CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Fitness
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Fitness Theory and Practice. CrossFit's rationale & foundations. Who is fit? What is fitness?

Old 07-26-2006, 10:35 PM   #1
Mike Kirkpatrick

Profile:
Sorry, didn't really know where to put this (either here or Crosspit), but... What kind of cardio program would you guys recommend for Mixed Martial Arts...to be done 3 days a week after the WOD? I have gotten involved in a beginner 12 week MMA program which teaches beginners the basics moves of Straight boxing, BJJ, Muay Thai, Greco-Roman Wrestling, and take down defense...but in 12 weeks I begin the more advanced portions of either Muay Thai or BJJ (depending on which I select), and the sparring gets harder and conditioning becomes very important. I know the Crossfit WOD's have a awesome cardio element in them, but I'm looking for that extra edge to take my conditioning to the next level. Here is what I have so far (may not be any good):

Run 2x800 meters
Run 3x400
Run 5xhill sprints

This is all done in my neighborhood, so not exact measurements, but close. The Hill is pretty steep and would probably take 20-30 seconds to run.

Any ideas are greatly appreciated, thanks.

(Message edited by Mike_k on July 26, 2006)
Old 07-26-2006, 11:47 PM   #2
Kalen Meine

Profile:
Before you kick up the roadwork, do you have any evidence that this is the kind of conditioning you've been lacking? Do you lose because you're winded? I mean, yes, your intervals are fine, though doing them with designated rest or a fixed "per round" time that if you exceed, you stop, so you challenge recuperative ability is a good idea. But I don't think a want of air is a terible problem for most CFers who take to the ring. For example, have you considered maybe adding some strength work to amp up the hurtin' power? It's quite possible you have, in which case I sound like a jerk, but if you're going to have a WOD and intense sparring on your plate, I'd be quite careful to focus on what actually will make your life better, not what comes to mind first.
Old 07-27-2006, 05:22 AM   #3
Mark Garcia

Profile:
Barbell complexes, interval sprints, Tabata method!
Old 07-27-2006, 07:28 AM   #4
Mike Kirkpatrick

Profile:
Kalen, so far, I haven't needed any hardcore conditioning, because we have been sparring with light resistance (Light resistance on striking, and the max resistance we have used on BJJ drills is around 60%, of course we can't actually tell if we are only using 60%). To be honest, my cardiovascular conditioning is pretty good (my Doctor said it was great for my age), but I eventually want to compete...and some of those guys are in extreme shape.

As far as adding more strength, I am not sure it is necessary. My Instructor (we don't call him Instructor for some reason) is all of 5-6, 150lbs...and the third best guy in the room is 5-5, 160lbs. I think the most important thing for me is cardio conditioning and learning the techniques (obviously the most important).
Old 07-27-2006, 07:28 AM   #5
Neal Winkler

Profile:
The best MMA workout is CrossPit. CrossPit is a combination of a WOD style workout with grappling or striking. One easy way for you to do this would be to take the days posted WOD and insert striking or replace one or two exercises with striking. Grappling would be hard unless you are doing the WOD with a partner.

For example, last saturday's 060722 WOD was:

Row 500 meters
Body weight Bench press, 30 reps
Row 1000 meters
Body weight Bench press, 20 reps
Row 2000 meters
Body weight Bench press, 10 reps

I could make this into the CrossPit WOD by replacing the bench press with punches/kicks:

Row 500 meters
30 3-punch/kick combos(15 each side)
Row 1000 meters
20 4-punch/kick combos(10 each side)
Row 2000 meters
10 5-punch/kick combos(5 each side)
Old 07-27-2006, 07:47 AM   #6
Mike Kirkpatrick

Profile:
Neal, I will eventually start doing that, but I haven't learned any kicks and only 2 basic punches (The Jab and Cross). This sounds stupid, but basically I have only been to one class (on Monday, and go back Friday), and I loved it...so I am not quit ready for Crosspit until I learn more moves (when I start Muay Thai). I can't really grapple, because I don't workout with a sparring partner.

Will the Crosspit workouts help Cardiovascular conditioning and how do you make them? You can tell the competition team is in top notch shape, they don't even breathe hard when we do our conditioning program.
Old 07-27-2006, 08:30 AM   #7
Seth Orell, Jr.

Profile:
Will the Crosspit workouts help Cardiovascular conditioning and how do you make them?
Absolutely. Granted, I don't train with CrossPit workouts, but as a martial artist, I know what the workout Neal described would do. It would give excellent cardiovascular conditioning along with a chance to practice your techniques under duress.

Side note - you'll find a heavy-bag workout is only as tough as you make it. I know beginners who don't break a sweat on 'em while an experienced student can meet pukie in a hurry. Give it your all.

-Seth
Old 07-27-2006, 08:53 AM   #8
David S Keisler

Profile:
MIKE ...do Burpees when you get home from class & when you are tired .... pick any number or sets... I like to do one set of21 burpees when I get in from MMA class only do 21 reps but try to improve on the time it takes .. later Ill maybe do more.
Also go to WarriorForce.com & check out Ross Enamaits books ... its probably just what you are looking for!
Old 07-27-2006, 12:13 PM   #9
Neal Winkler

Profile:
Mike,

In the mean time then there is no reason just to stick with the WOD. Hill sprinting is a great activity, no doubt, but the improved cardio adaptations will only occur in your legs on the routine you highlighted, when you want improved adaptations in your whole body, which is what the WOD gives you. I'm not sure why you think you need more than the WOD.
Old 07-27-2006, 02:04 PM   #10
Jeremy Jones

Profile:
Mark above said it.

Also, Take what you are learning and do tabata intervals, sub them into the WODs etc.

Get familiar with burpees.