CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Fitness
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Fitness Theory and Practice. CrossFit's rationale & foundations. Who is fit? What is fitness?

Old 08-07-2011, 01:06 AM   #21
Travis Rask

Profile:
Re: Gslp

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott Walters View Post
Anyone else actually used gslp, especially those who have done ss as well? I would love to hear your experiences
I've done both.

SS+GOMAD Work set Results (March-May 2011):

Squat: 135---> 315
Bench: 115--->205
Press: 65--->115
DL: 135--->315

GSLP Current AMRAP Numbers*:

Squat: 285 x 12
Bench: 195 x 12
Press: 130 x 6
DL: 300 x 12 / Hex Bar 345 x 6

Starting Strength was a kick @ss program for me. I took a week off before any resets and ended up killing my progress. Having to do a reset after returning was a big mind-eff for me. Decided to switch to GSLP.

I've been doing GSLP for a few months now. To be honest I haven't been super consistent. But the value of the program is the AMRAP set and the Greyskull reset. Every time you reset...your hypertrophy/AMRAP sets keep getting better.

I would say GSLP is far superior to SS, and so far the best of any programming I've ever done (CF, SealFit, OPT Big Dawgs, Military Athlete). You still make good, sustainable strength gains, with all the benefits of conditioning, frequency method, etc. added in.

When I was on SS any physical activity outside of my lifts was sacrilege. GSLP is very flexible, and encourages conditioning and recreation in general.

Even with half-@ssing it (it's been a busy summer) with regards to lifts and diet, all my AMRAP sets have consistently gone up during my resets.

With exception to my squat (which I'm still regaining after my snafu in May), I'm making consistent gains in all my lifts; all are consistently stronger than my SS numbers, without GOMAD.

If I were to make a very self educated guess, I'd say my current numbers (in SS format) are:

Squat: 295 / 3 x 5 (Should be back up to 315 by end of September)
DL: 345 / 1 x 5
Bench: 215 / 3 x 5
Press: 135 / 3 x 5

I've also been doing FM, and am working on Villain Challenge #1. FM pullups are 5 x 6; pushups are up to 5 x 31. Furthermore, I've started to regain my conditioning along the way. All with no guilt.

I highly recommend GSLP. Great program. SS is great, and establishes a great baseline...it just left me a little too fat and a little too winded at work (firefighter). I would suggest it, but would strongly suggest moving on to GSLP as soon as you hit your first reset.

Last edited by Travis Rask : 08-07-2011 at 01:12 AM.
Old 08-07-2011, 09:37 AM   #22
Eric Montgomery

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott Walters View Post
Anyone else actually used gslp, especially those who have done ss as well? I would love to hear your experiences
I've done GSLP for about 3 months now after doing the following stuff over the last 3 years: CF.com, CFSD programming, 70s Big S&C, OPT, 20 rep squats, and OPT again. I like GSLP the best of any program I've done so far. Great strength gains and I've managed to make them without having to eat 6000 calories a day and while staying much leaner than I did on 70s Big. Plus the volume is manageable and I don't feel beat up or rundown all the time, and the 5+ sets make things just plain fun. It's a very adaptable program as well--you can go with several different variants of it and add plug-ins based on your specific goals, modify it to 2x a week as opposed to 3x if you are limited on time or want to focus on conditioning, etc.
Old 08-07-2011, 09:51 AM   #23
Andy Gann

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric Montgomery View Post
I've done GSLP for about 3 months now after doing the following stuff over the last 3 years: CF.com, CFSD programming, 70s Big S&C, OPT, 20 rep squats, and OPT again. I like GSLP the best of any program I've done so far. Great strength gains and I've managed to make them without having to eat 6000 calories a day and while staying much leaner than I did on 70s Big. Plus the volume is manageable and I don't feel beat up or rundown all the time, and the 5+ sets make things just plain fun. It's a very adaptable program as well--you can go with several different variants of it and add plug-ins based on your specific goals, modify it to 2x a week as opposed to 3x if you are limited on time or want to focus on conditioning, etc.
we've done literally the same thing except that mine has been for 18 - 20 months ... I've been on GSLP since February.

Since starting GSLP I've added over 50#s to my squat sets and I'm on the last hole in my weight belt (3 inches thinner). Plus I've broken through plateaus on bench/press by using frequency method push ups All my friends who haven't seen me for months are talking about how yoked i am from the neck harness ... they can't believe it.

You know - I watched a wendler vid on youtube today and he said something that just rings true. [paraphrased] - sets and reps don't matter .. just squat, push, and pull and remain consistent for long periods of time..... gold
Old 08-07-2011, 09:54 AM   #24
Eric Montgomery

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy Gann View Post
we've done literally the same thing except that mine has been for 18 - 20 months ... I've been on GSLP since February.

Since starting GSLP I've added over 50#s to my squat sets and I'm on the last hole in my weight belt (3 inches thinner). Plus I've broken through plateaus on bench/press by using frequency method push ups All my friends who haven't seen me for months are talking about how yoked i am from the neck harness ... they can't believe it.

You know - I watched a wendler vid on youtube today and he said something that just rings true. [paraphrased] - sets and reps don't matter .. just squat, push, and pull and remain consistent for long periods of time..... gold
Yep, I went to see some people from my previous job last week just before I moved away, and they seriously thought I'd gained 20lbs of muscle in the last 3 months. I've only gained 2lbs. The neck work and weighted chins and curls do lots of good things for size and strength, not to mention the fact that heavy benching and pressing will build powerful shoulders and arms.
Old 08-07-2011, 10:01 AM   #25
Andy Gann

Profile:

Quote:
Yep, I went to see some people from my previous job last week just before I moved away, and they seriously thought I'd gained 20lbs of muscle in the last 3 months. I've only gained 2lbs. The neck work and weighted chins and curls do lots of good things for size and strength, not to mention the fact that heavy benching and pressing will build powerful shoulders and arms.
I don't step on the scale much but I did the a few weeks ago and was up 10# from what I was in january but i'm leaner in the belly... It's funny the older pants that I used to wear before SS/Gomad now fit in the waist but my azz and thighs are nearly ripping the seams apart. Oh and yeah - the curls rock ... arms and chest definitely look better with more muscle. :-)
Old 08-07-2011, 11:17 AM   #26
Will Feber

Profile:

So for gslp works nicely for me with deadlifts and squats, but I have a though time with bp and ohp. The reps in the last set slowly go down. What could be done to help that? I work in an office, so frequency method pushups is not really an option? Triceps extensions?
Old 08-07-2011, 11:44 AM   #27
Michael Bullock

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Will Feber View Post
So for gslp works nicely for me with deadlifts and squats, but I have a though time with bp and ohp. The reps in the last set slowly go down. What could be done to help that? I work in an office, so frequency method pushups is not really an option? Triceps extensions?
Set before work, set at start of lunch, another at end of lunch, set when you get home, and a set before bed. 5 sets and only 2 during work. Surely no one would complain about that...
Old 08-07-2011, 11:45 AM   #28
Eric Montgomery

Profile:

The 5+ reps will slowly go down as the weight goes up--I started doing 8-9 in my 5+ sets, then it gradually became 6-7, then I've been hitting 3x5 for my last few bench days and finally stalled at 5-5-3 on my last press day. That's what the 10% resets are for, you'll come back getting more reps than your previous times at those weights. Are you making smaller weight jumps on press and bench than you do on squat and deadlift? Keep in mind a 5lb jump on a 150lb press is twice as much (proportionally) as a 5lb jump on a 300lb squat or deadlift.

If you can't do a few pushups during the day, how would you be able to do triceps extensions seeing how they require weights? You don't have to get fancy with the pushups, just do a set right when you wake up, do a set before you leave home, then another 1-2 sets after you get home from work. The sets can be anytime throughout the day.
Old 08-07-2011, 11:51 AM   #29
Will Feber

Profile:

Yeah, I'm adding 1kg on the press and bench press every time. So no big jumps. I think the upper body is just my weakness.

I obviously wouldn't do triceps extensions in the office I was thinking about doing them after the squat or deadlift.

But yeah, will try to squeeze in a set or two during work. Good idea.
Old 08-07-2011, 11:52 AM   #30
Michael Bullock

Profile:

Quote:
I did 70's Big end of last year and made decent gains but eventually hit a wall when I couldn't eat enough and didn't want to go full GOMAD due to the extra fatty weight it brings along with it. What's different about GSLP that doesn't require the big calorie increase?

How much conditioning are you 'allowed' in the program? I'd like to maintain my current level of conditioning while making strength gains. Are the met-cons like that of 70's Big, short and heavy?