CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Exercises
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Exercises Movements, technique & proper execution

Old 02-23-2012, 06:02 PM   #11
Andrew N. Casey

Profile:
Re: wrist straps for pull ups

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Linden View Post
My grip strength is fine and my forearms are decently developed.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Linden View Post
Im 5'8 200lbs and i want to get over the 10 DH pullup mark. Its tough.
based on the second statement the first statement is not true. if you were trying to get to 50 pullups and grip was giving out then i'd say use straps and be proud. if you were trying to pull a 750lb deadlift and needed the straps then go for it. but if you are trying to get to 10 pullups and your grip is the limiting factor (or one of the limiting factors) then your grip needs as much improvement as the rest of you. doing 10 pullups should not be hard for any healthy male, and your grip should not even be close to giving out at only 10 pullups.

get rid of the straps, start working on pullups, and get strong. stronger in your grip, arms, back, everywhere. for the record, i'm shorter and heavier than you, and grip has always been an issue for me and a factor in deadlifts, and i have no issues with grip on pullups and can knock more than 10 even on a bad day, and i'm fat.
Old 02-24-2012, 10:04 AM   #12
Corey Borolien

Profile:

http://www.american-gymnast.com/shop...op-P108C5.aspx (wfs)
I use these for heavy deadlifts (more to protect my hands, but they also help with grip) and for high volume or weighted pull up bar work. Once they break in and you dampen them and then chalk them up, they're pretty awesome.
Old 02-24-2012, 02:17 PM   #13
Aaron Gainer

Profile:

For pullups, dont bother. Learn not to overgrip and focus on getting stronger. Might want to start adding a 5 or 10lb plate, dumbbell, or vest and start getting your pullup stronger(your overall pullups will go up).

I really only consider them beneficial for teaching the olympic lifts and doing clean/snatch pulls and hang snatches.
Old 02-24-2012, 03:45 PM   #14
Nik Nichols

Profile:

I thik the straps hold back grip strength. If you use them then your grip is not used to 100%. Skip the straps, deal with your grip.

Oh and I do'nt use chalk at all for deadhang or kipping or anyother lift at all. Just grip and go. I think chalk is nice, but not nessary.

Think about it like this. You tell some one you can do 10 pullups, they call you on it,and you do'nt have you straps.
Old 02-26-2012, 02:57 PM   #15
Richard A. Lopez

Profile:

Have you thought about grip training tools like the captain of crush grippers?
Old 02-28-2012, 01:35 PM   #16
Perry Thompson

Profile:

Steve, I follow CFFB programing and just started using straps. I love them. The constant heavy lifting in CFFB left my forearms feeling so fragged that I couldn't grab anything. I have just started using straps on my heaviest working sets for lifts. My grip still gets worked on all of the warm ups or at the start up ramping up to a max effort. But, when it gets really heavy I use the straps and am just limited by my back/leg strength. This gives my grip more of a chance to recover. At the very least it means I can do lifts I could not otherwise do because my grip needed to recover, but I suspect the the more reasonable training volume/recovery will actually let me grip strength improve faster. Only time will tell on that one.

For John Welbourn's (creator and programer of CFFB) take on straps see http://talktomejohnnie.com/lifting-weights/straps (WFS)

Perry
Old 02-28-2012, 02:28 PM   #17
Andrew N. Casey

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Perry Thompson View Post
Steve, I follow CFFB programing and just started using straps. I love them. The constant heavy lifting in CFFB left my forearms feeling so fragged that I couldn't grab anything. I have just started using straps on my heaviest working sets for lifts. My grip still gets worked on all of the warm ups or at the start up ramping up to a max effort. But, when it gets really heavy I use the straps and am just limited by my back/leg strength. This gives my grip more of a chance to recover. At the very least it means I can do lifts I could not otherwise do because my grip needed to recover, but I suspect the the more reasonable training volume/recovery will actually let me grip strength improve faster. Only time will tell on that one.

For John Welbourn's (creator and programer of CFFB) take on straps see http://talktomejohnnie.com/lifting-weights/straps (WFS)

Perry
not exactly the same as needing straps to do 10 pullups