CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > In Sickness and In Health > Health and Medical Issues
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Health and Medical Issues For other than injuries

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 06-23-2011, 05:20 PM   #1
Bradley James Thompson
Banned Bradley James Thompson is offline
 
Profile:
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Newport News  VA
Posts: 324
Tight ITB

I think I have a problem with the alignment of my upper and lower legs which leads to my quads feeling really wierd, like part of them just doesn't activate.

Also, it feels like my knees are bent inward.

Consider this test. If I stand on one leg, and let the other one dangle, the ITB right above my dangling leg is really taut. I think it's pulling the lower leg out of alignment with my upper leg so that my quads don't work right.

I've been told this isn't the case, but it's the only thing that seems to make any sense.

But I also dont have any sore spots when foam rolling. Or I'm not doing it right, or in the right spot.

Is the tightness I feel when dangling my leg normal? It FEELS really abnormal.
  Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2011, 09:50 PM   #2
Bradley James Thompson
Banned Bradley James Thompson is offline
 
Profile:
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Newport News  VA
Posts: 324
Re: Tight ITB

Here's a picture of the spot that is tight. The spot that is tight is circled. You can see the tight band running from around 11 o'clock to 5 o'clock. I'm trying to relax my leg as much as possible while dangling my leg.

The other picture shows the band sticking out a lot when I lift my leg up off the ground. And the quad remains kind of soft, while it seems to me like it should be rock hard.

Also, when sitting on the ground with my legs straight out in front of me and i lift me leg, something on the side of my hip cramped up. Is this the tensor fascia latea? If that's getting cramped it means my quads aren't taking the load enough and the side of my leg is. Does this make sense to anyone? I've been foam rolling my ITB, but I've also heard that the ITB can't really get stretched appreciably.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	P1000755.JPG
Views:	259
Size:	50.8 KB
ID:	7963  Click image for larger version

Name:	P1000757.JPG
Views:	267
Size:	37.5 KB
ID:	7964  

Last edited by Bradley James Thompson : 06-23-2011 at 10:05 PM.
  Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2011, 09:14 PM   #3
Bradley James Thompson
Banned Bradley James Thompson is offline
 
Profile:
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Newport News  VA
Posts: 324
Re: Tight ITB

Anyone? Anyone?
  Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2011, 01:51 AM   #4
Jon Gregory
Member Jon Gregory is offline
 
Profile:
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Brisbane  QLD Australia
Posts: 312
Re: Tight ITB

Mate, you worry too much. If you sit on the floor and raise your leg you aren't using your quads as much as you are using you hip flexors. Quads should be activated but they wont be rock solid unless you flex them first. The pictures look normal. The best way to tell if you have tightness in muscle groups is to test your mobility. I am by no means an expert but if the ITB has issues you'll know it! You'll normally have discomfort and mobility issues.
  Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2011, 05:01 AM   #5
Bradley James Thompson
Banned Bradley James Thompson is offline
 
Profile:
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Newport News  VA
Posts: 324
Re: Tight ITB

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon Gregory View Post
Mate, you worry too much. If you sit on the floor and raise your leg you aren't using your quads as much as you are using you hip flexors. Quads should be activated but they wont be rock solid unless you flex them first. The pictures look normal. The best way to tell if you have tightness in muscle groups is to test your mobility. I am by no means an expert but if the ITB has issues you'll know it! You'll normally have discomfort and mobility issues.
Well I do have discomfort.
  Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2011, 05:22 AM   #6
Renata Speranza
Member Renata Speranza is offline
 
Profile:
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Thalwil  Switzerland
Posts: 144
Re: Tight ITB

Hi there

Ever tried to roll that part over a ball or something and try to loosen it up a little?

That hurts too at the beginning but it's getting better the smoother that part gets.

It's worth a try...

Cheers
  Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2011, 02:29 PM   #7
Bradley James Thompson
Banned Bradley James Thompson is offline
 
Profile:
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Newport News  VA
Posts: 324
Re: Tight ITB

Quote:
Originally Posted by Renata Speranza View Post
Hi there

Ever tried to roll that part over a ball or something and try to loosen it up a little?

That hurts too at the beginning but it's getting better the smoother that part gets.

It's worth a try...

Cheers
But which part of my leg is actually tight? I've been told by several PT's that you can't really stretch the ITB. So it would seem that it's muscle at the end of the ITB that needs to be stretched.

The bottom line it I am nearly certain something is tight, and it's pulling my upper and lower legs out of alignment with eachother, and I need to figure out what is causing it. None of the PT's I've worked with have bought into my idea so they mostly directed me away from trying to stretch anything.
  Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2011, 06:44 PM   #8
Brent Sallee
Member Brent Sallee is offline
 
Profile:
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Davis  CA
Posts: 681
Re: Tight ITB

Hm, didn't we already go over this? :P You may not be able to stretch the IT band itself, but you can restore it's normal motion side to side, which frequently allows it to move much better.

The ITB is not the cause of your feeling of your legs being pulled out of alignment though. You don't have genu valgum. Who knows if you are rotated through your tibia, which is giving you that sensation. I can't tell from those pictures.
  Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2011, 08:03 PM   #9
Bradley James Thompson
Banned Bradley James Thompson is offline
 
Profile:
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Newport News  VA
Posts: 324
Re: Tight ITB

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brent Sallee View Post
Hm, didn't we already go over this? :P You may not be able to stretch the IT band itself, but you can restore it's normal motion side to side, which frequently allows it to move much better.

The ITB is not the cause of your feeling of your legs being pulled out of alignment though. You don't have genu valgum. Who knows if you are rotated through your tibia, which is giving you that sensation. I can't tell from those pictures.
I guess I'm just hoping that all I have to do is ask the question the right way. If I do that maybe someone will give an answer that jives with what I feel.

When you say rotated through the tibia, what does that mean? Does that mean the tibia itself is twisted?
  Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2011, 08:09 PM   #10
Bradley James Thompson
Banned Bradley James Thompson is offline
 
Profile:
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Newport News  VA
Posts: 324
Re: Tight ITB

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bradley James Thompson View Post
I guess I'm just hoping that all I have to do is ask the question the right way. If I do that maybe someone will give an answer that jives with what I feel.

When you say rotated through the tibia, what does that mean? Does that mean the tibia itself is twisted?
I think whatever is wrong has been wrong long enough that my body has somewhat adapted to it, poorly perhaps, so as to mask the problem. Because no one I've ever seen ever understands my complaints, or recognize a problem where I feel one.
  Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Knee pulling (probably not ITB) Jonathan Slater Health and Medical Issues 16 06-30-2009 11:56 AM
What exactly is tight in here??? Arturo Garcia Health and Medical Issues 1 06-24-2008 11:02 AM
ITB injury--what now? Tim Luby Fitness 7 01-29-2008 05:27 AM
Marine PFT and SOI/ITB Kevin Perry Fitness 10 10-03-2007 05:32 AM
ITB Syndrome and the 5km run Pat Janes Injuries 6 10-28-2004 05:47 PM


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 05:02 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.6.8
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
CrossFit is a registered trademark of CrossFit Inc.