CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Workout Logs
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Workout Logs Post your logs here!

Old 09-01-2013, 02:25 PM   #1
Ryan Graham

Profile:
Becoming the 3-Headed Monster!

Been doing crossfit on/off for a few months now but now deciding to get into it seriously!

Decided I'd make a log to track progress on the road to becoming the ideal CrossFit '3 headed monster'

Few stats to start with (As of 01/09/2013):

Weight - 74KG
Deadlift 5RM - 70KG
Back Squat 5RM - 60KG
Front Squat 5RM - 40KG
Bench 5RM - 40KG
Press 5RM - 30KG
Power Clean 5RM - 50KG
Snatch/OH Squat- 0 (Lack of mobility to get squat position)

Going to focus on strength and mobility as well as some skill work up until new year, doing a slightly modified GSLP which I'll write up in next post.

Lastly, Goals (By Jan 1st 2014):

Weight - Somewhere between 75-90KG, vague I know but I'd like to settle comfortably in that range rather than having to forcefeed myself to keep weight on, so we'll see how it goes.
Deadlift 5RM - 120KG
Back Squat 5RM - 100KG
Front Squat 5RM - 75KG
Bench 5RM - 75KG
Press 5RM - 50KG
Power Clean 5RM - 80KG
Snatch/OH Squat- No set # but aiming to have full ROM and be able to properly do these.
General Mobility - Increase in general mobility across the board

That's basically it! I'll write up my GSLP plan in a new post so this one isn't dragging on too much.
Old 09-01-2013, 04:50 PM   #2
Ryan Graham

Profile:
Re: Becoming the 3-Headed Monster!

GSLP Plan

-Tue,Thu,Sat/Sun workouts

Tue
-Mobility/Skill Work
-Bench/Press 2X5, 1X5+
-Curls/Chins 2X10-12/2X6-8 (Curls on Bench day, Chins on Press day)
-Back Squat 2X5, 1X5+ (Always Tue)

Thu
-Mobility/Skill Work
-Bench/Press 2X5, 1X5+
-Power Cleans 5-6 singles ramping up to Deadlift weight
-Deadlift (Always Thu)

Sat/Sun
-Mobility/Skill Work
-Bench/Press 2X5, 1X5+
-Front Squat 2X5, 1X5+ (Always Sat/Sun)

Every day
-FM work- 4-5 X 8 pushups, 4-5 X 3 Chins spread throughout each day
-Mobility + Skill work (Snatch/Oh Squat/DU/HS etc)

And that's the basic gist of it. In the ebook JP calls for increasing Deadlift/Squats by 2KG each session and Bench/Press by 1KG each session but I'm going to try and be more aggressive in my increases for first month or so at least, aiming for:
-Deadlifts up by 5KG, then reducing down to 2.5KG per session
-Squats increasing by 2.5KG per session
-Bench/Press increasing by 2.5KG, reducing to 2KG
-Adding a rep each week to the FM work

One final note on Conditioning;
I haven't programmed any conditioning workouts as for my college course I'll be doing a speed/agility session on a Tue and some form of fitness conditioning class on a Friday and so I feel adding more on top of these may take away from recovery for my strength sessions.

Last edited by Ryan Graham : 09-01-2013 at 04:55 PM.
Old 09-02-2013, 12:51 PM   #3
Ryan Graham

Profile:

Mon 02/09/13

FM Work throughout the day:
- 4 X 8 Pushups
- 4 X 3 Chins

Mobility:
- Done the 'Agile 8' and 'Simple 6' routines from DeFranco for the first time, both were solid efforts and was even getting a sweat on from the lower body one!

My monster band and compression band also arrived today so chose some exercises from BASL on my ankle/heel cord to try them both out, hopefully won't be long before I start seeing improvements in mobility.

Looking forward to starting GSLP tomorrow as well!
Old 09-03-2013, 08:14 AM   #4
Ryan Graham

Profile:

Tue 03/09/13

GSLP:

Warm up:
-Mobility work on calves and ankles

Bench-
20X5
20X5
25X5
30X3
35X1
40X5
40X5
40X5

Curls-
20X12
20X12

Back Squat-
25X5
30X5
35X3
40X2
45X1
50X5
50X5
50X12

Conditioning:
3 X 30mins football sessions between 10.30-13.00

In my GSLP workout for the bench I actually forgot to go for 5+ on the last workset haha, which is why its 3X5 for bench.

Conditioning was loads of fun, first time I've done proper football training in over a year since my knee surgery and it was with professionals so was good standard and runaround. Knee's feeling it now though!
Old 09-05-2013, 02:24 PM   #5
Ryan Graham

Profile:

So I seen a sports physio today...

Basically, after playing football for the first time in 2 years on tuesday I had a wee knee pain so was seen by the national teams physio after the training.

Explained all about my ACL tear and how I hadn't played and then first thing he asked me to do was lie down on the table and tense my quads as hard as possible. Straight away he noticed and said that even just to the naked eye my right quad is still visibly smaller than my left and I really have to bust a gut to get them even and then both bigger beyond that if I want to play again (I do.)

So we started talking about training to help me and just as I thought he would he said to focus around squatting. He also said to work on explosive exercises like plyometrics and olympic lifts as they would all help my legs a lot as well as having a carry over to playing again.

So I think what would be best for me now is to step away from GSLP for now. I know it has 2 days squatting but I think I need a lot more lower body work than that.

I'm gonna take a few days to have a look through the net for programming that will have a lot of emphasis on working the legs while still having crossfit WODs and skills. At the minute I think The Outlaw Crossfit programming would be best for my goals, as it's cleans/snatches daily as well as having atleast 1 Smolov cycle I've seen for squats, and they also have conditioning work.

I realise I could probably see more/longer progress on an LP but at the end of the day one of my big ambitions is to get back into football and I don't think an LP is the optimal way to achieve that.

Back in a day or 2 with hopefully renewed enthusiasm and plans!
Old 09-06-2013, 04:40 PM   #6
Ryan Graham

Profile:

Fri 06/09/13

Push Press 3RM:
-45KG

Had to stop early think I might have managed 50KG

Body Pump:

45 mins, VERY light weights, think we used 20KG at most and was basically really high reps/ slow tempo stuff. Was just a commercial fitness class but have to take part in them each week as part of my college course.

Done it once 2 years ago and remember not being able to bend my arms the next day so anxious about how I feel tomorrow! the shoulder section was also a struggle after a 3RM Push Press
Old 09-08-2013, 02:33 PM   #7
Ryan Graham

Profile:

Felt totally fine yesterday after Fridays workouts but was slightly more worried about today since DOMS is always worse 48hrs later!

But feel fine, upper body wise anyway. Sharp pain in my knee when I was out walking earlier so maybe the high reps were the cause for that.

Been sorted out that we're getting a bigger shed in the back garden of our family home, one big enough to workout in so can't wait!

Also bought 24KG + 32KG Kettlebells, a speed jump rope, 8 X 1.25KG oly plates, a pull up bar to mount on the outside wall and some knee sleeves, spent a decent amount but really looking forward to being able to work out at home. Home made plyo box + wall ball are next on the list then some rings when I'm at the point of them being of use to me! Maybe a mountain bike too so I can go cycling on some rough hilly ground around here.

Exciting times, also decided I'll give Outlaw Crossfit a shot. Looks like a 'lite' version of Outlaw Way, 3 on 1 off schedule is good (although I'll have to shift it slightly), there's always squat/oly lift work which will help my quad problems and the metcons all seem to revolve around bar movements, double unders and KB work with the 2 weights I bought so should be able to follow it at home or college. Think once I'm ready I'll look back to a week or 2 before they started the last smolov cycle and go from there.

Last edited by Ryan Graham : 09-08-2013 at 02:45 PM.
Old 09-09-2013, 12:09 PM   #8
Ryan Graham

Profile:

Mon 09/09/13:

BBG:
15Mins to find a 3RM Hang Snatch (subbed for Hang Power Snatch)
-20KG
-30KG
-40KG

Still basically a total novice and not got the mobility for full snatches/OH Squat. Ordered some oly shoes tonight tho which might speed up the process!
Old 09-10-2013, 08:05 AM   #9
Ryan Graham

Profile:

Tue 10/09/13:

Strength

HBBS: 1X5@65%, 1X5@70, 1X5@75%, 1X5@80% rest 2 minutes.

Conditioning

45min agility session. Hurdles, changes of direction etc
Old 09-12-2013, 09:47 AM   #10
Ryan Graham

Profile:

Thu 12/09/13

Conditioning:
2 hour football session

Gym Work:
-Glute Bridges 3X5
-Split Jerk 3X5
-Back Squat 3X5
-Pistols 3X5 each leg
-Pull ups 3 X MAX
-Plank 3X45s
-Side Plank 3X30s each side

Dont really remember the weights used etc as it was more a technique lesson going through with a S+C coach.

One good thing was that after watching me do a set of split jerks he asked if I had past experience doing oly lifts so that was a confidence booster for me!