CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Exercises
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Exercises Movements, technique & proper execution

Old 07-09-2012, 04:36 PM   #11
Nik Nichols

Profile:
Re: Using Gloves in Crossfit

I don't wear golves or use chalk. Both seem more of a distraction to me. I have ripped here and there, but I can handle everything from hight rep pullups to deads or what ever with out the ''NEED'' of help.

I think gloves would get in my way more then anything and chalking in a workout is a break to me. Just my own opinion.

I do cut my calluses though.
Old 07-18-2012, 03:08 PM   #12
PaulEwing

Profile:

They're not really gloves, but has anyone tried these out? I noticed some of the competitors at the games used them and I'm considering ordering a pair for when I start working on my butterfly pull-ups.

http://www.roguefitness.com/rogue-gymnastics-grips.php (WFS)
Old 07-18-2012, 04:11 PM   #13
Blair Robert Lowe

Profile:

These are based on what we call in Gymnastics, "Palm grips or Dowelless grips". They are generally used by low level girls, often recreational kids who are getting older than 10 with soft hands. Generally L3 to L4 where they don't need a grip with dowels and it doesn't interfere with shifting their wrists on bars.

That being said, they are cheaper than standard gymnastics dowel grips for the most part and work better than tape grips. One of my friends used a set of HB grips back in 2008 on the Frannish WOD.

They also look a lot better than the grip pads that were out a few years ago that you held in your hand while doing kipping PU. Those wore out fast.
Old 07-18-2012, 07:01 PM   #14
Jason Denny

Profile:

I wear batting gloves for some WODs. I'm a heavy weight at 240lbs...no no I'm not fat but gravity does not care. I used to tear hands even keeping them shaved but now I wear gloves. I am an LEO and I CANNOT have open sores/wounds on my hands. It is a good way to get sick or infected with a disease. Too much at stake just to appear tough. Receiver gloves work really well also.
Old 07-19-2012, 09:15 AM   #15
PaulEwing

Profile:

Thanks for the info Blair. I've been told a few different strategies for preventing tearing (Gripping with fingers or keeping your hands "over" the bar) but when it comes down to getting a WOD done, it's hard for me to think about incorporating new techniques. I'll probably give these a shot on days when I can foresee my hands getting wrecked.
Old 07-19-2012, 10:11 AM   #16
Anthony Giurato

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric Shuty View Post
I think the issues people have are some of the following: what I and others have called the "stupid" workouts that combine huge amounts of kipping pull ups with other had hurters; having multiple days in a row of exercises that overlap muscles worked...this includes that hands. This is something I don't do to the same extent that a lot of boxes do; last but not least, your hands take time to adapt just like the rest of your body. When you started crossfit did you jump right in to 500lb squats? No, you work up to it. So why would you jump right in to workouts that destroy your hands and think it will be ok?
+1 to this

In rowing, all of the Novices have bad blisters for most of their first season until their hands toughen up and they learn how to hold the oar. After that they can pull a 20k just fine and not have any problems. If you let your hands heal and don't go overboard, then they will toughen up pretty quickly.

Also, if you do get blisters, try tea bags (WFS). I felt like they helped me a lot when had 4+ blisters on each hand. Just dip the tea bags in water (warm is better) for a few seconds, and then take the tea bag out and dunk it onto your blisters.
Old 07-19-2012, 10:23 AM   #17
Blair Robert Lowe

Profile:

Yeah, TeaTree oil is commonly used by gymnasts.

Many gymnasts will swear by Cow Udder balm though.

Taking care of your hands is important. It takes time for your hands to get conditioned.

We had our girls complaining of their hands on bars this summer because they know have 5 straight days of practice meaning 45-60m on bars a day. Before they had a break on Wednesday or just MTuThF(Sa) instead of 5 days straight.

It also probably didn't help switching from evening to morning practices either TBH. Sucks also if they had an evening practice the night before a morning practice the next day.

It was all above my paygrade to do anything but shrug and say, " Save your hands, call it a day and don't rip if you don't have to. "

Are boys had to deal with it sometimes as well. Always sucks to have to do 2 swinging events per day. And god help it if it's back to back. Even Pommel isn't easy on the hands and just about pointless with rips. PB sucks when your hands are chewed up even though it's not a big swinging event like HB or SR.
Old 08-15-2012, 05:16 AM   #18
Yandy Roman

Profile:

Leather baseball batting gloves work very well for me. U use chalk as well sometimes but I get to many tears in my hands so had to surrender and use gloves.
Old 08-16-2012, 04:42 AM   #19
Jason Denny

Profile:

I just switched to football receiver gloves. LOVE THEM. Nice and thin but durable and grip well. Doing "Jared" last week was 160 pullups and not a single mark on my hands afterwards.
Old 08-16-2012, 01:41 PM   #20
Matt Thomas

Profile:

I thought about getting some football gloves, but wasn't sure how that rubberish palm material would hold up. Maybe I'll give it a try.

Now to find some that are less than $40...