CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Fitness
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Fitness Theory and Practice. CrossFit's rationale & foundations. Who is fit? What is fitness?

Old 01-11-2012, 05:52 PM   #1
JD Hart

Profile:
Supplementing other Styles

Does anyone here supplement Crossfit with bodybuilding splits, running, strict olympic lift days, etc? I should be more specific and state has anyone supplemented with the goal in mind of improving overall lean muscle mass and definition. I recently have been doing primarily a bodybuilding split as I am still recovering strength from snapping my collarbone in half over the Summer and excess long distance runs in the fall. I'm sure this has been talked about before but I would like to see some new opinions, ideas, and experiences pertaining to the aforementioned goals. My current routine incorporates CF elements especially on Bench day (100 dips no rest as few sets as possible), legs day (Squats, Romanian split squats, KB exercises, etc), and I just added double unders into my shoulder and triceps day during rest periods

Thanks in advance

Last edited by JD Hart : 01-11-2012 at 06:16 PM. Reason: Clarification,
Old 01-11-2012, 09:41 PM   #2
Ben Norris

Profile:
Re: Supplementing other Styles

Quote:
Originally Posted by JD Hart View Post
Does anyone here supplement Crossfit with bodybuilding splits, running, strict olympic lift days, etc? I should be more specific and state has anyone supplemented with the goal in mind of improving overall lean muscle mass and definition. I recently have been doing primarily a bodybuilding split as I am still recovering strength from snapping my collarbone in half over the Summer and excess long distance runs in the fall. I'm sure this has been talked about before but I would like to see some new opinions, ideas, and experiences pertaining to the aforementioned goals. My current routine incorporates CF elements especially on Bench day (100 dips no rest as few sets as possible), legs day (Squats, Romanian split squats, KB exercises, etc), and I just added double unders into my shoulder and triceps day during rest periods

Thanks in advance
We will need more info from you.

Weight
Height
Current 1RMs
Full list of goals
Old 01-12-2012, 10:37 AM   #3
Katherine Derbyshire

Profile:

What Ben said. Do you want a bodybuilding program, or a general strength and conditioning program? The two are not the same.

Katherine
Old 01-12-2012, 10:55 AM   #4
Preston Sprimont

Profile:

There are a ton of "hybrid" programs out there, most of them a combination of strength and CF-style conditioning. CF Football, CF Strength Bias, Conjugate CF, Greyskull LP, and 70s Big CF hybrid are a few of the more popular ones that come to mind.

If your goal is "improving overall lean muscle mass and definition" and you want to do something CF-related, I would advocate picking some sort of CF-strength hybrid program (any of the ones listed above would work well, and there are plenty more out there).
The CF style conditioning should take care of the "lean" and "definition" part, and if you're lifting heavy and eating enough that will take care of the "muscle mass."
If you really want to, you can add in some supplemental hypertrophy bi and tri, chest and back, etc. work--as long as you don't overdo the volume, it shouldn't be too big of a deal.

If you're looking for a more exact prescription, it would behoove you to provide some info (as others have already suggested) on where you are in your fitness journey. Absolute beginners will usually have different needs than advanced lifters/athletes.
Old 01-12-2012, 12:18 PM   #5
Brendan McNamar

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by JD Hart View Post
Does anyone here supplement CrossFit with bodybuilding splits, running, strict Olympic lift days, etc? I should be more specific and state has anyone supplemented with the goal in mind of improving overall lean muscle mass and definition.
Yes they do.

With that said what we often encourage on this board is to make sure whatever program you are following matches your goals. Want to look like a bodybuilder. Workout and eat like a body builder. Want to be a good CrossFitter workout and eat like a CrossFitter. Want to be a good power lifter....you get the idea.

My personal goals are strength and then general CrossFit. I follow a power lifting program with some CrossFit met-cons carefully sprinkled in. My goals and program are in alignment.
Old 01-12-2012, 12:45 PM   #6
Vince Mannella

Profile:

I also follow a strength program with my CF workouts.
I start off by doing one of my strength lifts (bench, press, squat, dead) and then end off with a short/heavy metcon. I either grab my metcon of the day from CF football, sealfit, or Bo's short/heavy database. I keep my metcons heavy and short. For example when I do a "Fran" metcon I'll do a 12-9-6-3 (instead of 21-15-9) and do it at 135# (instead of 95#) and add some weight on the pull ups (depends on the day on how much I'd add).
I have seen a good improvement in my lifts, muscle mass, and body composition. I have been doing this for about a year now.
On non-weight training days I also do short runs, sprints or hill sprints.
Old 01-12-2012, 01:08 PM   #7
Collin Thompson

Profile:

Just wanna throw it out there since it hasn't already been mentioned - don't be afraid to eat even if one of your goals is to be defined. You want lean muscle mass but as the saying goes you can't flex bone.
Old 01-12-2012, 06:44 PM   #8
JD Hart

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben Norris View Post
We will need more info from you.

Weight
Height
Current 1RMs
Full list of goals
Weight: 175-180lbs
Height 5ft10
Current 1RMs

Squat-Haven't maxed in a while but about a week ago I was doing my sets at a 225-245-275 (sets of 4-6 reps). Pre-collarbone injury I did around 315x3 times
Bench-Haven't maxed in about a month+, but I'm doing 5sets by 5 reps starting with 255lbs most recently and working down each set by 10lbs. Highest max 315 (2010), least max 235-245 (2011 post surgery after getting back into gym for a few months)
Clean-Haven't maxed since I snapped collar bone in half and had it reset with a titanium rod (Summer 2011)
Deadlift-Same story as clean, but when I do DL it's normally at sets around 275ish. When I was doing full time Crossfit (Late 2009) I maxed 405 about 2 weeks before I stopped going. Legs day is Saturday so I'll check my max then.
Pullups-max 30+ (no kipping)
Military or Push Press-Rarely do anymore given the strain on the shoulder joint
Ring Dips-Max 25+ (post bench and incline presses)

I've been lifting since High School, did Crossfit full time in 2009 and some in 2010, but my buddy who was a CF trainer (I was allowed to do his structured workouts vs. the one-size fits all WOD) left and I later tore my meniscus and was out of commission for about 5-6 months after surgery (2010). After recovery my goals changed to what they are currently which is having solid vascularity, symmetry, aesthetics, while maintaing endurance and athletic mobility. I have no interest in "Getting Jacked, Swoll, Huge, etc." I've done the whole bulk then cut routine before and I don't find it functional for me.

Diet
I'm already pretty lean; I don't measure bodyfat but I would assume it ranges between 8.5-12.5% (depending on dieting phase) I can attach photos if necessary. My diet currently has a Paleo backbone supplemented with Whey Protein, protein bars (sigh) if I'm short on time and occasionally-1 or 2x a week-simple carbohydrates post heavy lifts (white rice, gatorade, etc.). Most recently though (within last 2 weeks) I have eliminated cheat meals. I do drink monster/coffee and use a PWO supplement 3-5 times a week, but I don't drink alcohol and outside of the whey protein I've eliminated dairy.

Current Supplements
CLA
Arginine Alpha Keto-Glutarate
Omega 3s
Flax Seed
Glucosamine

I guess what I am really wondering is should I just go back to exclusively doing Crossfit? I lift now at a regular gym and have gotten relatively bored, but I don't want to sacrifice excitement for progress and the whole certified over a weekend thing makes me wonder sometimes at certain CF affiliates if the workouts over a long timeline are efficient and incorporate enough recovery (I should state that I have met some excellent CF trainers, who really know their stuff, but there's no way to know that until you actually meet with them).
I have seen and heard of some pretty die hard CFers, including my buddy, who were in great shape, but their bodies broke down in CF after a few years.

I've been reticent to rejoin a CF gym since my buddy left because I don't like the one-size fits all thing.

I appreciate the insight.

Last edited by JD Hart : 01-12-2012 at 06:47 PM. Reason: clarity
Old 01-12-2012, 09:45 PM   #9
Chris Mason

Profile:

Wait, is your goal to weigh 175-180 lbs?
Old 01-12-2012, 11:10 PM   #10
JD Hart

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Mason View Post
Wait, is your goal to weigh 175-180 lbs?
If I could increase my lifts and stay between 170-175 I'd be pretty happy.