CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Competitions
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Competitions Competitions, contests & challenges

Old 12-02-2009, 10:19 AM   #1
LeEarl Rugland

Profile:
CF Total per # of Body Weight

Not sure if this has been posted here before. I searched but did not find anything. Let see how everyone stacks up on their CF Total and there body weight. Easy way to see how we stack up pound per pound with other CF'ers around the world.

Here is what I have right now. These are totals from today. Did this after my workout, but will give me a base to work with.

BS 295#
SP 145#
DL 335#

Total 775#
Body Weight 166#

So my total was 4.67# per 1# body weight. I want to see if I can bring that up to about 5.5# in the next few months. That would put me in the 850# Total range.

So, post up Lets see who has the highest Total per pound
Old 12-02-2009, 10:39 AM   #2
Katherine Derbyshire

Profile:
Re: CF Total per # of Body Weight

It's an FAQ: http://www.crossfit.com/cf-info/faq.html#WOD8 (WFS)

At your bodyweight, an 1150# total would be considered "elite."

I haven't looked at the numbers for Games competitors, but it seems that people around here use 1000# or so as a minimum to be considered "strong." 5x bodyweight is also a number that gets tossed around a lot, but remember that the Games don't have weight classes.

Katherine

On Edit: Chris Spealler is probably the most beastly smaller guy in Crossfit. From his Games profile page, his total was 821# at a bodyweight of 135#.

Last edited by Katherine Derbyshire; 12-02-2009 at 10:52 AM..
Old 12-02-2009, 11:02 AM   #3
LeEarl Rugland

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katherine Derbyshire View Post
It's an FAQ: http://www.crossfit.com/cf-info/faq.html#WOD8 (WFS)

At your bodyweight, an 1150# total would be considered "elite."

I haven't looked at the numbers for Games competitors, but it seems that people around here use 1000# or so as a minimum to be considered "strong." 5x bodyweight is also a number that gets tossed around a lot, but remember that the Games don't have weight classes.

Katherine

On Edit: Chris Spealler is probably the most beastly smaller guy in Crossfit. From his Games profile page, his total was 821# at a bodyweight of 135#.
What you posted makes no sense..... If Spealler is and I qoute "probably the most beastly smaller guy in Crossfit" and his ratio is 6# per 1# then why would I need to be at 7# per 1# to be considered elite class
Old 12-02-2009, 11:04 AM   #4
Mike Kerce

Profile:

this is a conversation that will inevitably (and probably rightfully so) get bogged down in the semantics of strength and whether it's P4P or Total weight output that is of greater importance, how more weight on a person doesn't necessarily represent more potential power, how CFT is discriminatory against skinnies, etc. since i don't really care i'll just answer the question...i'm 270 and my CFT is 1002. that's 3.71. i need to try harder
Old 12-02-2009, 11:10 AM   #5
Katherine Derbyshire

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeEarl Rugland View Post
What you posted makes no sense..... If Spealler is and I qoute "probably the most beastly smaller guy in Crossfit" and his ratio is 6# per 1# then why would I need to be at 7# per 1# to be considered elite class
Because the Crossfit Games aren't just a strength competition. His other abilities make up for his relative lack of strength.

Katherine
Old 12-02-2009, 11:13 AM   #6
Mike Kerce

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeEarl Rugland View Post
958 would be considered elite for Spealler's weight. "Elite" on these charts represents less than 1% of the weightlifting community...it is pretty much reserved for powerlifting/powersport athletes and therefore not really something the majority of us should use as a measuring stick. "Advanced" is a much more relevant category, in my under-informed opinion..."Advanced" at your weight is 906#. and i think Katherine was referring to Spealler as an Elite CFer, not an elite powerlifter.
Old 12-02-2009, 11:23 AM   #7
Lincoln Brigham

Profile:

Bear in mind that in a contest of "who is stronger pound for pound" the smallest folks always win.
Old 12-02-2009, 11:24 AM   #8
S.S.

Profile:

To compete at the CF Games you need a CFT that is beyond a certain absolute threshold, that much is obvious. Having it as a certain percentage of your bodyweight isn't enough.

But it's also notable to point out that having a high CFT (or powerlifting total or Oly total) to bodyweight ratio makes you good at things besides strength. Sprinters and gymnasts all have high strength to bodyweight ratios in weighted movements despite the fact that their sports don't use weights in competition. It's pretty well known that a high strength bodyweight ratio can help increase your maximum speed and can help your bodyweight movements.

Which is why guys like Mikko Salo, Josh Everett, Chris Spealler, and Anthony Bainbridge (who all have CFTs that are 600-700% of their bodyweights) are really good at things besides just lifting.
Old 12-02-2009, 11:36 AM   #9
LeEarl Rugland

Profile:

One thing we have to remember here is that CrossFit is not just for powerlifters. I is 'Forging Elite Fitness'. I am not worried about just the powerlifters in the world as I bet they would not be able to out speedskate or run me This thread was not about bashing the P4P or weight moved argument.... It was started as a competitoin to see how we stack up to the other CF'ers in the world for P4P in the CF Totals. Lets not get off task here and start a thread on why we need to look at the other things involved here.
Old 12-02-2009, 11:39 AM   #10
LeEarl Rugland

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Kerce View Post
since i don't really care i'll just answer the question...i'm 270 and my CFT is 1002. that's 3.71. i need to try harder
This is what I am talking about.... Thanks and good luck on trying harder I would love to hit the 1000# mark someday, but I doubt that will happen.....