CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Fitness
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Fitness Theory and Practice. CrossFit's rationale & foundations. Who is fit? What is fitness?

Old 07-29-2009, 04:18 PM   #1
Omar Omar

Profile:
Is it about the rest day or the times people train per week

Well, I cant think of an easier way to explain my question. So which of the options below seem like they will get better results. For both options assume that the athlete wants to train 7 times per week

a) train every single day. One session per day.

b) have two rest days, like thursday and sunday BUT the Wods for the rest days are done during two other days. So you will have two rest days, but still you will have two days with two training sessions.

I was following my own programing for a while. I think I should stop. When I look at my journal I always realise I am not mixing all the movments. Sometime I am doing too much endurance. I am rowing and running so much while ignoring wall balls, KB, and a whole lot of stuff. So I want to get better results so I will stop doing my own programming and will fallow this

3 on 1 off 2 on 1 off. *off the main site*
and do 2 endurance WODS of my own or crossfit endurance. *I can do my own programming for endurance but not all crossfit since I have been doing XC and Track for 4 years in highschool and will do them 2 more years at college*

I love running, I love it wayyy too much. So I want to be a master of endurance. So I will not just follow the main page because I need an extra endurance thing going on.
Old 07-29-2009, 04:21 PM   #2
Omar Omar

Profile:
Re: Is it about the rest day or the times people train per week

I also promise that I WILL rest when I need to.

I wont be a stupid stuborn idiot forcing my self to train. If I realise I am sore I might take a session off. Or maybe a full day off.
Old 07-29-2009, 04:26 PM   #3
Aaron Gainer

Profile:

You can't be good at everything in one cycle of training, or you will just tire yourself out and/or possibly get injured.

Either, focus on the crossfit training with minimal aerobic training allowed on off days or 12 hours apart, or vice versa. Focus on where you think you need to improve(your current weaknesses), and go from there.
Old 07-29-2009, 05:07 PM   #4
Katherine Derbyshire

Profile:

Don't train 7 days straight. You won't have time to recover. In my experience, two workouts in one day with a full day off is much better.

I'd suggest having a look at Crossfit Endurance. They've thought a lot about how to integrate endurance work with the CF main WOD. Even if you don't follow their programming exactly, you might find their approach to workload balance helpful.

Katherine
Old 07-29-2009, 06:50 PM   #5
Steven Low

Profile:

Sigh.. two a days aren't very good unless you're at a high level of conditioning because you can't sustain it.

Adding such volume to your training now is unlikely to benefit you much at all as adding workouts past 4-5 per week gives fairly negligible gains.
Old 07-29-2009, 07:18 PM   #6
Jamie J. Skibicki

Profile:

I've found that I can do more volume and recover from it better if I do 2 a days and get full days of recovery. Try it and lets us know how it works for you?
Old 07-29-2009, 09:24 PM   #7
Omar Omar

Profile:

Well to be honest I did experimint a little actually.

I found that if I do a WOD early in the morning and set a PR on it I am more lickly to set a PR on lifting or another wod later in the day but not the next day.

For an instance. I once did fran 11 in the morning. 65 only on the thrusters and set a pr of like 40 seconds. I got 7:46 on fran, later that day I also set a pr on CFT.

Another Time I actually did "CFT" one day and couldnot beat my fran time the next day. Not even close. The thrusters were no joke.

I wanna see what will happen if I do fran earlier and CFT later in the same 12 hour period. Ill let you know how it goes but its propably not happening any time soon.
Old 07-30-2009, 08:45 AM   #8
Scott Spencer

Profile:

this is an easy question. 2 days of rest. What you described was the CF endurance programing. Follow the main site WOD and add in 2 days of CFE 3 hours later. 7 Workouts in a week. Can you maintain that level of work? Dont know, only you can tell. what you also can do is take every 4th week as a down week. Several options:

-1 week of total rest. :-(
-3 light workouts. very easy just working on form
-3 days off in a row, then a few light workouts

You got to go by feel. I like to take several days off and then 2 light workouts before i get back to it. But diffently have a down week every 4th week.
Old 07-30-2009, 10:32 AM   #9
Oliver Gould

Profile:

Dude, you need to decide what you want to focus on. Right now, your overall strength is very low, and I would bet that your CF metcons are all scaled. If you want to get more in line with the CF definition of fit, you're probably going to lose some long distance endurance while you're gaining strength, power and power-endurance.

If you want to be a "master of endurance," you should probably be doing more endurance work and cut back on the CF. Check out some programs beyond just the CF endurance prescription and decide what you want to do.
Old 08-02-2009, 05:51 AM   #10
Rachel Y. B. Lindsay

Profile:

My approach has so far been to follow the CF WOD (I scale) AND to also add three running workouts per week. This often gives me 2 workouts a day on running days, but it's fine in my opinion because a) I do the WOD first, and b) it's never two CF style workouts in a day, it's just one CF and one run. I don't really see the point of changing from CF's very well thought-out programming. I just add my extra endurance.