CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Workout of the Day
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Workout of the Day Questions & performance regarding CrossFit's WOD

Old 08-21-2008, 01:39 PM   #11
Chris Walls

Profile:
Re: Most Ridiculous Hotel WOD

haha! brilliant.
Old 08-21-2008, 03:23 PM   #12
Melissa Urban

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Woodward View Post
I tested the shower curtain rod for pullup stability, but the thing wouldn't have held a 2nd grader. Hotel rooms should come standard with a Melissa Byers shower curtain rod.
Maybe I should just design one and market it to hotel chains and workplace locker rooms around the country. I bet I could make a killing.

I wish, wish I could have seen coffee table OHS. I mean, that is just BRILLIANT.
Old 08-21-2008, 03:49 PM   #13
Tom Woodward

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Melissa Byers View Post
Maybe I should just design one and market it to hotel chains and workplace locker rooms around the country. I bet I could make a killing.
Hell, you can start by selling one to me. I'm trying to up the ante on the multitasking I do in my morning shower anyway.

With the Byers Bar, now I can:

1. Brush Teeth
2. Shave
3. Trim Callouses
4. GTG Pullups

Last step is to pull a Kramer and install a garbage disposal in the shower drain so I can make breakfast.
Old 08-21-2008, 05:15 PM   #14
John Biddle

Profile:

One of those cantilever doorframe pull-up bars is worth looking at if you're travelling with any frequency. OHS (or lunges with weight overhead) with a suitcase works pretty well - you can load anything in the room that will fit (eg the Gideon bible, phone books, bottles out of the mini bar) into it, as well as your own belongings, to increase the weight.
Old 08-21-2008, 07:39 PM   #15
Marc Tower

Profile:

I travel a bit and run into the same issues - I haven't been near as creative as you though.

I usually pack a jump rope and a couple of versa-tubes for emergencies (and when I don't want to deal with a globo-gym). I was outside at a picknic table (the only grass around) where the maids go for smoke breaks. I'm jumping rope, doing burpees, running 400's around the building and doing thrusters with the tubes.

I looked across the parking lot and there is a restaurant and the diners at the windows are all staring.
Old 08-22-2008, 08:24 AM   #16
Ryan Lynch

Profile:

Quote:
Last step is to pull a Kramer and install a garbage disposal in the shower drain so I can make breakfast.
Just don't get a Clarkman...

-Ryan
Old 08-22-2008, 08:35 AM   #17
Jamie J. Skibicki

Profile:

There are at least 2 of us staying at the same hotel for the Rip cert in two weeks. They have a continetal breakfast, it should be funny.

"THat guy just put 4 raw eggs in a half gallon of whole milk!?!?!?! Yet there is little fat on him. I think my head is going to explode"
Old 08-22-2008, 09:16 AM   #18
Christin Street

Profile:

Quote:
I was traveling for work last week and staying in one of those cookie cutter Hampton Inn Business Suites. Went down to the "fitness center" to explore and found 2 televisions, a treadmill, a recumbant bike, and some strange bowflex offshoot with bands. I slowly closed the door and returned to my room.

When I got back to my room, I started the crossfit wheels turning in my mind. Before I knew it I had stood the couch in my room on its end and moved a few lamps to make room for handstand pushups, set up the two bedside tables for l sits, and managed to work back lever on the underside of the desk. Then did a met con using the coffee table for overhead squats. I realized that if anyone walked in at that point, they'd fit me for a straight jacket.

I love CrossFit
Very creative, Tom! I was in Sun Valley UT about a month ago and encountered a similar weight room at the resort, so I ended up doing burpees in my room. Well, then I got the itch to work on handstands but there was not enough space in the room. I slinked down to the end of the hall. Since it was mid-afternoon, things were very quiet. Most normal people were out hiking/biking/shopping or napping in their rooms. So I kicked up into a handstand against the wall. Within seconds a door nearby slowly opens and a man pokes his head out. We made brief upside-down eye contact. Quickly the door closed without a word. I flew back down the hall before building security arrived.
Old 08-22-2008, 10:57 AM   #19
Melissa Urban

Profile:

Quote:
Hell, you can start by selling one to me. I'm trying to up the ante on the multitasking I do in my morning shower anyway.

With the Byers Bar, now I can:

1. Brush Teeth
2. Shave
3. Trim Callouses
4. GTG Pullups
I just read your stats on another thread. At 6' 5" and 220#, that would have to be one hell of a shower rod.
Old 08-22-2008, 11:11 AM   #20
Valerie Worthington

Profile:

GREAT stories! I've had some of those, but there was also the time I was in a globo gym doing dumbbell snatches (I had wanted to do swings but thought I might get kicked out for erratic and dangerous behavior). An older man walked by, watched me for a second or two and said, "CrossFit, eh?"

Once while I was staying in a hotel I rigged up a squat target as part of my workout by putting a small garbage can on the bathroom scale (at our gym we usually squat to medicine balls, and for some reason I find I can get lower if I have something to squat to). It ended up being a good teaching tool; when I SAT on the can as opposed to just touching my rear end to it (which I tend to do), the scale beeped!