CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Fitness
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Fitness Theory and Practice. CrossFit's rationale & foundations. Who is fit? What is fitness?

Old 04-20-2006, 08:28 AM   #1
Josh Goldsmith

Profile:
Hello all!!! In my other post i was asking about a training bike and getting into shape. Well that brings me to another question. How many times in a week should i exercise. I am doing tabata exercise every morning except sundays. Then i play soccer every wednesday and sundays. Is this enough or to much? I want to get into shape asap since it is my biggest holdback when i play soccer.

Also i almost forgot to ask. I am not trying to loose weight but mainly build up my stanima and burst of speed. Should i watch what i eat and how much i eat? Will that effect my training exercises? Thanks ahead of time. Josh
Old 04-20-2006, 09:02 AM   #2
Dan Strametz

Profile:
Josh, 3 on 1 off, 2 0n 1 off?? Whatever works for your schedule. TO answer your question on too much, no it's not too much. Add sprints, cleans, snatches, box jumps, wall balls..etc.. all these will help stanima and burst of speeds. You will get lots of great feedback on this. Have fun.
Old 04-20-2006, 03:55 PM   #3
Lynne Pitts

Profile:
Moving to Fitness.
Old 04-20-2006, 07:00 PM   #4
Jason Steele

Profile:
Josh-

You came to the right place, there is a plethora of information at your very fingertips. The best thing you could do is use the search function, that will greatly expedite you quest. CF will increase all the things you want, you just have to apply yourself. I am sure plenty of people will have some advice for you. For what it is worth, my speed greatly increased after doing CF, I felt I could go forever in my adult league games.
Old 04-20-2006, 09:08 PM   #5
Mike Quon

Profile:
Josh, listen to your body. For me, tabata 6 times a week would probably be a bit too much, but if it's working for you, keep doing it.

Currently I train 5 days a week with varying intensity.
Old 04-21-2006, 09:41 PM   #6
John Seaburg

Profile:
Josh,

What's your goal... health or performance? If it's health, I'm a big fan of exercising every other day. I believe the best thing you can do the day after a good workout is rest and maybe get a massage or do some kind of relaxation technique like tai chi or meditation. I've seen better hormonal results (especially cortisol) in myself and others with this approach.

If you insist on working out 4-6 days a week you might want to keep track of your resting heart rate and sleeping patterns.

Good luck.
Old 04-24-2006, 10:33 AM   #7
Mark Madonna

Profile:
To build the burst of speed, olympic lifts are great, and when starting on workout of the day, always remember good form and start at low intensity for the first couple WOD's and work up to high intensity. For soccer it seems that you would want your recovery time from sprinting to go down. Like say you run 4-50 meter sprints as fast as you can, you want your heart rate to come down as fast as possible to what it was before the sprints. So you can go again. Doing the workout of the day will help get your recovery time lower. WOD is 3 on 1 off, Since you play soccer 2 times a week, I would use that as a workout. Since you go Wednesday and Sunday, I would set up my workout shecdule tuesday rest day, wednesday Soccer, thursday WOD, Friday WOD, Saturday Rest Day, Sunday Soccer. I am saying this because I would want to be rested for my game, and I have learned that doing the WOD 3 days on 1 day off and trying to do 2 rugby practices and a game every week gave me recovery and injury issues.
For nutrition, Zone is the way to go. Order Journal #21, you will feel like you need more carbohydrates and less energy in the first 2-4 weeks, but resist the urge and become a fat burning machine and your perfomances will improve.