CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Fitness
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Fitness Theory and Practice. CrossFit's rationale & foundations. Who is fit? What is fitness?

Old 11-01-2007, 08:17 PM   #1
John Anthony

Profile:
300 workout 5 times a week too much?

Just kidding, wish I could have seen some of the reactions though. First of all I would like to say hello and thank you to everyone for the quality of the forum and the great information provided.
A little background. I am moving to Guatemala City to teach English for a year and obviously do not want to lose any strength/conditioning. I do not know for sure but am planning on not having any equipment available. Thanks to the search function I have found a plethora of bodyweight workouts. I figure once I get there I can improvise some equipment. But by only doing mostly bodyweight exercises and having limited equipment use will I be able to gain strength as quickly? Running may also be an issue as I am not sure if the area I am living in will be the best. So I am guessing burpees bodyweight metcons will have to do.

If someone with first hand experience could give me some tips/ share their experiences I would greatly appreciate it. I am planning for worst case scenario- very limited equipment and not being able to go on runs.
Thanks again and sorry for writing a book for my first post.

John
Old 11-01-2007, 08:22 PM   #2
Steven Low

Profile:
Re: 300 workout 5 times a week too much?

I think it's a bit much...

But seriously, what kind of 'strength' are you looking for? There's ways to decrease leverage to make you solely aim towards strength like I am doing now mostly with rings/parallettes and variations or are you trying to make it more metcon like most of the CF girls?
Old 11-01-2007, 09:01 PM   #3
Michael D. Perkins

Profile:

I would be surprised if there wasn't some kind of gym in Guat City. I've been to Antigua a number of times (absolutely love it) and it is a very small touristy town with cobblestone streets and it has two gyms with free weights, bars, and dumbbells. I'm guessing you'll be able to find a "real" gym in the capital but I don't know for sure. I'd put money on a Gold's Gym or some big chain like that too. Buena suerte.
42/M/75"/230lb | DL: 375 | 21k run in VFFs 2:16:54 | Fran: 9:22 | www.crazywifecrossfit.com (w/fs)
Old 11-01-2007, 09:08 PM   #4
Bill Russell

Profile:

John,

I wish you the best of times in Central America. My daughter is a senior at a Jesuit college here in Cleveland and could relate to you in many ways. She spent 4 months in El Salvador and 2 months in Peru, teaching school kids English and other cool stuff. She's been to Guatemala and Honduras too.

Anyway, I travel regularly on business and usually get better workouts away from home. It's all about being creative and using what we have available. My new favorite thing is to climb trees in parks as part of my CF workouts. Even just simply jumping up to a limb, pulling up, vaulting over and dropping back down, maybe 21 reps for time!
Old 11-02-2007, 10:37 AM   #5
Jake Oleander

Profile:

buy some elite rings. you can hang them off of almost anything (a tree for example), and the rings' uses are almost limitless.
Old 11-02-2007, 10:51 AM   #6
Tim Donahey

Profile:

I taught English in Mexico City for 3 years and it was an enriching and unforgettable experience. Do you have a job/home lined up? You'll have no problem finding a gym to workout at and a park to run in, it's the capital city after all. I second the ring training; a very versatile tool.

And this was my expression:
Old 11-02-2007, 11:57 AM   #7
Aaron Trent

Profile:

A sandbag will be your friend. All you need is sand, ziploc bags and a duffel bag.
Old 11-02-2007, 02:48 PM   #8
Franklin Shogie

Profile:

John,

as you can see from my profile I don't live in a 1st world country. If I were to give a suggestion for an inexpensive piece of equipment, it would be a pedometer. being able to measure rather accurately 400m or 800m has been useful for me.
Old 11-02-2007, 06:00 PM   #9
Joseph Crupi

Profile:

Yup, and if you dont wanna mess with ziplocs...fill up empty water/milk bottles...thats what Im doing now in Iraq....Throw em in a duffel, tie em to boards, come up with something interesting....still keeps it from being to messy
Old 11-03-2007, 11:38 AM   #10
John Anthony

Profile:

Thanks for the replies. Unfortunately I will be doing this pretty much volunteer so having money to join a gym is somewhat out of the question. Elite rings just jumped up on my priority list.
Sandbags and Elite rings should be extremely useful tools. I think they have a track at the school, they have a track team so I am assuming they have a track. I might buy a pedometer just in case.
The strength I was a little worried about losing was on my heavy lifts (squat, deadlift, etc) but constancy is probably the key to maintaining/ gaining strength.

Tim, I just finalized everything I will be teaching English and science for 1st-3rd graders. It should be an interesting year to say the least.

Thanks again for all the responses.

-John