CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Fitness
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Fitness Theory and Practice. CrossFit's rationale & foundations. Who is fit? What is fitness?

Old 05-06-2011, 07:22 AM   #21
Larry Hotchkiss

Profile:
Re: How maany times a week to train?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terry Gibbs View Post
a bit of oversimplifying ....back in around 99 Louie did a two large articles in Long Strong Throwing Journal. In the articles apart from outlining his philosphy I counted at least 13 hours of structured work (including some tub work), now of that only two hours were max effort and two hours dynamic, the rest was GPP based.

What Louie may mean, if read in full context is that you simply can run out of the rehab, GPP and recovery and if you don't do enough of that then you overtrain...

from that ...someone who is very unfit (low GPP) could overtrain very easily. Someone with much higher GPP will tolerate much greater stress..
Jeremy is correct and at this point its just semantics. Not trying to take anything away from Louie or disparage his vast knowledge, I just personally think its a silly way to present the situation since the amount of work you do directly dictates how much rest you need and a given period of time is finite. You wouldnt be under resting if you werent overtraining.

At the end of the day, rhetoric aside, I think the OP learned there is no correct answer for him, he will just have to listen to his body and adjust accordingly.
Old 05-06-2011, 04:24 PM   #22
Terry Gibbs

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry Hotchkiss View Post
Jeremy is correct and at this point its just semantics. Not trying to take anything away from Louie or disparage his vast knowledge, I just personally think its a silly way to present the situation since the amount of work you do directly dictates how much rest you need and a given period of time is finite. You wouldnt be under resting if you werent overtraining.

At the end of the day, rhetoric aside, I think the OP learned there is no correct answer for him, he will just have to listen to his body and adjust accordingly.
do you know the purpose of GPP ???
Old 06-11-2012, 01:39 PM   #23
Aaron C Bennett

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeremy Maddox View Post

um...i think perhaps the irony in louie's quote may have been overlooked...it's really saying the same thing, just louie's way is more clever....
While there is, obviously, an element of factitiousness in Louie's quote, I think he did mean it that way. It obviously sticks in your brain, which achieves part of the intended goal. The other aspect is to get people to think of what resting really means. As I have found from both my own research and from joining a rugby team that is much more professional than any other team I've ever been on, rest doesn't just mean sitting on the coach in front of the TV. Ice-baths, foam-rolling, active rest (a light jog or playing a pick-up game with your friends), fish oil, sound sleep, etc. all help in aiding the body to "rest." I now do some sort of training 7 days a week, 2x a day for 2 or 3 of those days. Even with that, I am not over trained. My weight and cardio sessions aren't over an hour. The only things that are any longer length of time are practice and games. We have good coaches who mix up the practices, so they aren't adversely affecting our performance. We must be doing something right as RugbyMag ranked us as the best overall club in the country this year.
Old 06-13-2012, 02:22 PM   #24
Charles Golden

Profile:

Not trying to hijack the thread here, but I didn't really want to start a totally new thread for a somewhat related question:

Is there a need to "cycle" off of CF for a week or even longer every once in a a while? A little back story: I'm asking b/c I've been CFing since March 2011 and while there have been weeks when I didn't make all three or four WODs, I haven't had a totally inactive period for a full week off in quite some time. At times my knees, shoulders and feet will ache and general soreness has become a part of everyday living. I go to a gym so they obviously program for me and I'll occasionally pull double days, mostly consisting of body weight movements and running. Thoughts?
Grace - 1:58 Fran - 3:55 CFT - 985
Old 06-13-2012, 03:16 PM   #25
Doug Blankenship

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles Golden View Post
Not trying to hijack the thread here, but I didn't really want to start a totally new thread for a somewhat related question:

Is there a need to "cycle" off of CF for a week or even longer every once in a a while? A little back story: I'm asking b/c I've been CFing since March 2011 and while there have been weeks when I didn't make all three or four WODs, I haven't had a totally inactive period for a full week off in quite some time. At times my knees, shoulders and feet will ache and general soreness has become a part of everyday living. I go to a gym so they obviously program for me and I'll occasionally pull double days, mostly consisting of body weight movements and running. Thoughts?
Listen to your body. If it is asking for rest, give it rest.
Old 06-13-2012, 03:17 PM   #26
Robert Fabsik

Profile:

I think the CF Faq recommends a week off every once in a while.

If you are feeling worn out/beaten up, a week off every 4-12 weeks (depending on you) isn't a bad thing and might jump start progress once you start back.

Even if you aren't feeling worn out, if your lifts/progress has slowed, a week off might be very helpful as well.

Mainsite doesn't have any formal cycling/deload, so the best way to deal with it is either taking a week or two off or adding in extra rest days.

Or course, keep nutrition and sleep in check too.