CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Workout of the Day
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Workout of the Day Questions & performance regarding CrossFit's WOD

Old 08-15-2007, 08:43 PM   #1
Matt DeMinico

Profile:
So, I've done Tabata squats once back in like March, got 21 all 8 rounds, haven't tried again since then.

Haven't really done any tabata squats workouts since then, did a not-quite-right b2b tabata squats, but that doesn't count.

So tonight I did a scaled Fran (75 lbs barbell instead of 95 lbs), did like an 8:20 time, yuck. But after that, while my buddy Jim was doing his first (scaled also) Fran, which he did quite well at for only having been doing CF for a week (but he works for a moving company, so he's kinda used to working hard for a long time).

ANYHOW, back to the B2B Tabata Squats... Those are wicked... I scored 15, my rounds were like 20, 20, 19, 17, 16, 15, 15, 15. By the end of the 4th round I was darn near about to collapse at the bottom while trying to support my weight, my legs just were about ready to give out. But I suppose 15 for a true, Bottom to Bottom, full ROM Tabata Squats, that's not bad, huh? Won't be long before I catch the big guys (and gals, watching Annie in that B2B TS video)
Old 08-16-2007, 11:52 AM   #2
Milton Grasle

Profile:
Matt, Milton here. What do you mean by bottom to top squats? When I squat, either air or with weight, I always go deep, well below parallel.
Old 08-16-2007, 11:53 AM   #3
Milton Grasle

Profile:
Matt, Not bottom to top squats, I meant B2B.
Old 08-16-2007, 01:38 PM   #4
Matt DeMinico

Profile:
bottom to bottom, the "rest" (if you're sadistic and call it rest) is in the bottom of the squat position, not sitting on your heels, not sitting on your thighs, but fully supported only by your muscles.
Old 08-16-2007, 04:02 PM   #5
David Wood

Profile:

B2B's almost always knock 25% off your numbers the first time you try them.

For me, the worst part isn't even the muscular strain down there (probably because I'm cheating and just letting thighs rest down on calves), but it's that the position compresses the lungs and prevents belly-breathing, so I'm not getting a whole lot of air down there. Standing up out of the squat at the beginning of the "work" session is a relief.

Get a whole class to do B2B and the groans as they stand up at the beginning of round 6 or 7 are just very sweet (if you're not one of them).
Old 08-16-2007, 06:00 PM   #6
Matt DeMinico

Profile:
Yeah that's the thing, I did them like that before (resting on calves) and was told it's not the right way, that you *have* to be holding yourself up with your leg muscles. It makes a world of difference.
Old 08-16-2007, 08:39 PM   #7
Milton Grasle

Profile:
I'm going to have to have someone watch me or do the squats as I look into a mirror. I'm not sure now exactly what kind of squat I'm doing. I break parallel or 90 degrees, but I don't rest on my calves or heels either.
Old 08-17-2007, 08:46 AM   #8
Matt DeMinico

Profile:
Right, when you're doing the squats, you go down to that "past parallel" position, and come right back up.

BUT, in tabata squats, there's normally a rest inbetween sets. in B2B's, you "rest" sitting in the bottom of the squat position.
Old 08-17-2007, 01:33 PM   #9
Matt DeMinico

Profile:
Ouch... now I did tabata squats today to demo to a guy in the fitness center here at work. I rarely go to the fitness center, but my workout involved the rower, and I don't have one yet (and they have C2 model D).

So, moral of the story, no B2B tabata squats on Wednesday, then regular tabata squats on Friday.
Old 08-17-2007, 02:56 PM   #10
Milton Grasle

Profile:
Got it Matt. I'll have to try that. Thanks.