CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Digital Coaching
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Digital Coaching Post pictures or movies for critique and coaching

Old 09-15-2013, 03:01 PM   #21
Omar Mendoza

Profile:
Re: Dumped a Squat Clean in a Globo Gym

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keith Miller View Post
That's not overextending your back!! And a deadlift and a clean are two completely different lifts!

What you're seeing in the photo, which is very good technique, is full extension during the second pull.

Oh, that's what I figured... thanks. I just always thought it was bad, arching the back like that.
Old 09-15-2013, 05:20 PM   #22
Jeff Enge

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Omar Mendoza View Post
Oh, that's what I figured... thanks. I just always thought it was bad, arching the back like that.
Also I honestly would disregard almost anything Rippetoe says about the sport of weightlifting.
Old 09-17-2013, 05:42 PM   #23
Omar Mendoza

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff Enge View Post
Also I honestly would disregard almost anything Rippetoe says about the sport of weightlifting.
Good to know...
Old 09-18-2013, 01:14 PM   #24
Ari Sherwood

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Omar Mendoza View Post
Arching is fine. OVERarching is bad (for your spine and discs, at least). Bottom line is you need to extend your hips to generate the power in a clean, not pull your arms. The arm pull needs to wait until the bar has reached past your hip crease or so.

One good way to learn proper hip extension is to practice cleans from the hang. It forces you to use explosive hip power instead of arm pull from the ground:

http://www.catalystathletics.com/exe...?exerciseID=70 {WFS}
Old 09-21-2013, 12:03 PM   #25
Blair Robert Lowe

Profile:

Omar, you edit videos down through youtube. I was really hoping you'd drop the hell of that clean.

You need to go back and learn how to keep the bar closer and bring it to your thighs/hip.

Do this by rebooting your lifting patterns from the high hang/power position. Then lower to top of knee and back to high hang. With a shrug, high pull, etc. Focusing on getting the torso vertical before exploding.

Then bottom of knee.

Then from the floor with pauses at the positions or position clean (clean from knee, thigh, hip, etc ).

I like the Outlaw program in general but Elizabeth Akinwale and Rudy have both talked about the difference between their lifting programming and a WL program like Pendlay's. Way different amount of volume.
Old 09-24-2013, 06:17 PM   #26
Omar Mendoza

Profile:

Thanks for the feedback everyone. I've been working on getting into the proper positions and getting full extension, but I'm still having trouble with getting the full extension for maximum power... I just can't get the feeling down... I guess practice makes perfect.

Here's another attempt, but this time I'm not in a globo gym and can really get after it without having to worry about dumping the weight. Bought some bumpers and an Excalibur bar and am super happy with it.

I know my technique was probably sketchy, but I was super happy about doing 185# I've never attempted that much before.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T5msS...ature=youtu.be (WFS)

Any more feedback would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Last edited by Omar Mendoza : 09-24-2013 at 06:20 PM.
Old 09-24-2013, 08:19 PM   #27
Jeff Enge

Profile:

You have a lot more extension you can get.

I can't really tell so well with the camera so far away and the angle, but is the bar actually contacting your thighs or are you pulling it before?
Old 09-24-2013, 08:25 PM   #28
Omar Mendoza

Profile:

Quote:
You have a lot more extension you can get.

I can't really tell so well with the camera so far away and the angle, but is the bar actually contacting your thighs or are you pulling it before?
Nope, not touching at all. That's the problem! It just feels weird, I'm having a difficult time getting the feel for it. Once I get it down though, I imagine my numbers will go up substantially I hope so anyways.

I suppose after drilling a **** load of hang cleans I'll eventually start to get it?
Old 09-24-2013, 08:38 PM   #29
Jeff Enge

Profile:

Hang cleans will help. But I really think you have to get your butt down further through the first pull. You're letting your hips get too high up before the bar gets past your knees, which is what is getting the bar away from your body.

I sound like a broken record saying that on almost every clean video posted on here, but that's really the most common problem I see, whether on the boards here or at actual CF gyms I've been to.

To continue with the lift, we've established the bar gets too far away from you. This makes you miss full extension by a lot. Then, the bar crashes on you a little in the catch and you can't hit the bounce out of the hole.

You definitely have fast elbows for sure. Actually, it looks quite a bit like mine used to http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fyiUZh23hHc (wfs, from January). So you can take some comfort that those things are fixable - my thighs can attest that the bar hits them, sometimes a little bit too hard!

Jerk needs work but I'd get the clean down first.

Last edited by Jeff Enge : 09-24-2013 at 08:44 PM.
Old 09-24-2013, 08:50 PM   #30
Omar Mendoza

Profile:

Quote:
Hang cleans will help. But I really think you have to get your butt down further through the first pull. You're letting your hips get too high up before the bar gets past your knees, which is what is getting the bar away from your body.

I sound like a broken record saying that on almost every clean video posted on here, but that's really the most common problem I see, whether on the boards here or at actual CF gyms I've been to.
Thanks for the advice, I'll work on it. I think when I had a mirror to look into at the globo gym I was better with my back angle on the first pull. But, now I'm trying to work on technique based on feel, rather than trying to watch myself in a mirror.

I've actually been wondering about that lately; would you recommend training with a mirror or try to fix things with feel and filming myself?

I know a coach is the best thing, but right now, it's kind of not an option. I will be taking advanced weightlifting at my college starting in Janurary though

Thanks again for all the feedback.

Just watched your vid. Thanks, that is comforting haha. I definetely have to put in alot more work to clean things up, but I'm sure I'll eventually get there. Yeah, my jerk is BAD lol. I never did any jerks at the glob gym because I didn't want to dump the weight from overhead :/

Last edited by Omar Mendoza : 09-24-2013 at 08:55 PM.