CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Digital Coaching
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Digital Coaching Post pictures or movies for critique and coaching

Old 09-14-2013, 06:22 PM   #11
Omar Mendoza

Profile:
Re: Dumped a Squat Clean in a Globo Gym

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff Enge View Post
Honestly, I would recommend you not do something advanced like Outlaw Way at this point, especially if you are modding it such that it really isn't as written anymore. I would barely feel comfortable at my skill level following that program, and while I am no beast to be sure, I'm pretty efficient at most if not all of the CF skills and snatch 215, c&j 245. That's just my opinion though.

If you want to do some weightlifting focus, you might try out one of the programs at Catalyst Athletics - something like this one http://catalystathletics.com/article...?articleID=131 wfs

I've seen previous posts from you and I respect your opinion, so in no way am I trying to argue with your advice, but why would the outlaw way not be good for beginners? Is It the volume or the lifts themselves?

And I'll check out that site when I get off work, thanks.
Old 09-14-2013, 06:27 PM   #12
Omar Mendoza

Profile:

I just looked at that program you suggested, and I think I might do that. I think its better suited to my skill level and I should worry about advanced programming after I become a more knowledgeable weightlifter. Thanks.
Old 09-14-2013, 06:34 PM   #13
Jeff Enge

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Omar Mendoza View Post
I've seen previous posts from you and I respect your opinion, so in no way am I trying to argue with your advice, but why would the outlaw way not be good for beginners? Is It the volume or the lifts themselves?

And I'll check out that site when I get off work, thanks.
Volume and skill level of the stuff mostly. I know we say that CrossFit is infinitely scalable, but the way I see it Outlaw is one of those programs you should follow as written or not at all, just because of the complexity of the program. Again, my opinion and others may differ.

The other thing is, a lot of the weightlifting drills they do arent going to do much for an athlete unless 1. You have a solid grasp of the lifts and the mechanics thereof, or 2. You have a coach who knows these things well and can fix issues in real time.

Seriously, if you really want to focus on weightlifting and really be a good lifter, I would recommend finding a good coach and taking a little time with them. I started with an actual weightlifting team a couple monts ago and I have to say its probably the best CrossFit related decision I have made.
Old 09-14-2013, 06:57 PM   #14
Omar Mendoza

Profile:

Quote:
Volume and skill level of the stuff mostly. I know we say that CrossFit is infinitely scalable, but the way I see it Outlaw is one of those programs you should follow as written or not at all, just because of the complexity of the program. Again, my opinion and others may differ.

The other thing is, a lot of the weightlifting drills they do arent going to do much for an athlete unless 1. You have a solid grasp of the lifts and the mechanics thereof, or 2. You have a coach who knows these things well and can fix issues in real time.

Seriously, if you really want to focus on weightlifting and really be a good lifter, I would recommend finding a good coach and taking a little time with them. I started with an actual weightlifting team a couple monts ago and I have to say its probably the best CrossFit related decision I have made.

Yeah... when I first started crossfit I was all amped up and ready to work my *** off, now I'm realizing it's going to take a more... intelligent approach, as in receiving some coaching and finding a place where I can focus more on weightlifting.

What's your stance on paid digital coaching? If it's within my budget and I can find a good coach in my area, I will try to do that, but if not, I may need to consider a digital coach.

Thanks.
Old 09-14-2013, 07:06 PM   #15
Jeff Enge

Profile:

Quote:
Yeah... when I first started crossfit I was all amped up and ready to work my *** off, now I'm realizing it's going to take a more... intelligent approach, as in receiving some coaching and finding a place where I can focus more on weightlifting.

What's your stance on paid digital coaching? If it's within my budget and I can find a good coach in my area, I will try to do that, but if not, I may need to consider a digital coach.

Thanks.
I was the same way. I spent 6 months or so on the "more is better" appoach before I started making a concerted effort to learn about fitness and programming outside of my swimming background.

As for dedicated digital coaching, I really dont have any experience with it, so I cant really offer an informed opinion either way, sorry.
Old 09-15-2013, 09:56 AM   #16
Jason Denny

Profile:

Quote:
By opening up my hips, you mean shove my knees out?

Thanks.
I think showing you what I mean is easier than trying to explain it.
The middle pic is what I am talking about. Open the hips and lead with the shoulders. The end of the first row of pics in the start of the third pull and his hips are open and is leading with the shoulders.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v2...psfa9eb997.jpg

Last edited by Jason Denny : 09-15-2013 at 09:58 AM.
Old 09-15-2013, 10:40 AM   #17
Omar Mendoza

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason Denny View Post
I think showing you what I mean is easier than trying to explain it.
The middle pic is what I am talking about. Open the hips and lead with the shoulders. The end of the first row of pics in the start of the third pull and his hips are open and is leading with the shoulders.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v2...psfa9eb997.jpg

Pics don't work.
Old 09-15-2013, 12:01 PM   #18
Jeff Enge

Profile:

Must be your computer, it works for me... try this though:
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	clean-and-jerk_zpsfa9eb997.jpg
Views:	166
Size:	88.7 KB
ID:	12842  
Old 09-15-2013, 02:47 PM   #19
Omar Mendoza

Profile:

Quote:
Must be your computer, it works for me... try this though:
Awesome, this helps alot. I thought it was un safe to over extend your back like that though? Mark ripptoe talks about this when dead lifting... Maybe it's not so bad?
Old 09-15-2013, 02:53 PM   #20
Keith Miller

Profile:

Quote:
Awesome, this helps alot. I thought it was un safe to over extend your back like that though? Mark ripptoe talks about this when dead lifting... Maybe it's not so bad?
That's not overextending your back!! And a deadlift and a clean are two completely different lifts!

What you're seeing in the photo, which is very good technique, is full extension during the second pull.