CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Digital Coaching
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Digital Coaching Post pictures or movies for critique and coaching

Old 09-09-2013, 05:52 PM   #1
Sean M. Hutchinson

Profile:
Free Online Coaching for 2 Lucky CrossFit Athletes!

I am offering 12 weeks of free online coaching to 2 CrossFit Athletes. My only criteria is that you are interested in competing in CrossFit and have at least competed and completed the Open this year. First 2 guys or gals to message me with a link to your CrossFit open results will get to work with me for 12 weeks on a training cycle I design for you. I will also do weekly video analysis on any lifting you want to send me way up to 2:30 minutes. You can edit down the video to get the actual lifts. I don't want a 2 minute video of you getting pumped up for a max rep lol

This is NOT a CrossFit focused training cycle, I will not be programming metcons in this training cycle and will ask that you limit yourself to 3 metcons a week and under 12 minutes each. We are far enough out from the Open this will be a 12 Week Strength/Weightlifting Cycle to get those baseline numbers up like Snatch, clean, jerk, squat, deadlift, press, etc. If you are interested I will offer this opportunity to the first 2 Athletes to respond to my inbox, male or female, it doesn't matter.

If you want to know more about me check me out at my website:
www.builtforthisathletics.com SFW or my youtube page to see me lift:
www.youtube.com/surfnaked87
facebook.com/seanhutchinson69kg

I am a competitive Weightlifter and have been lifting for over 7 years now. I have competed National and Internationally for Team USA several times. Anways, thanks for checking out my post. I look forward to working with somebody! Also if you want to message me for a friend that is fine to. If you think somebody could benefit from this feel free to shoot me their name and contact information as long as it is ok with them.
Old 09-09-2013, 09:07 PM   #2
Sean M. Hutchinson

Profile:
Re: Free Online Coaching for 2 Lucky CrossFit Athletes!

Wow, 150+ views and one response! There's got to be more of you guys/gals that need free help out there! If you are trying to get to the games or even regionals and you don't even have a double body weight clean yet or close to it you should probably take me up on this offer!
Old 09-10-2013, 02:59 AM   #3
Jeff Enge

Profile:

That is quite a claim considering it is more than feasible to qualify and even perform well at USAW Nationals without a double bodyweight clean...

Last edited by Jeff Enge : 09-10-2013 at 03:11 AM.
Old 09-10-2013, 06:48 AM   #4
Mark E. Wallace

Profile:

Sorry, but I'm not ever going to take a person up on an offer after they have :

a) condescendingly talked about whether or not I "even have a double body weight clean yet." (as if having one makes you superior to others); or

b) told me that I should probably take them up on their offer. (Thank you very much. I'll make my own choices.)

Sean -- If people believe and are interested, they'll respond accordingly. Only a little over three hours had passed between your first and second posts in this thread. Are you expecting some massive flood of responses? If so, why?

- Mark
Old 09-10-2013, 09:40 AM   #5
Sean M. Hutchinson

Profile:

The winners are crossfit forum members Tristan Hoyle and Michael Prather! Congratulations for being the first 2 to respond. I look forward to working with you and seeing you progress for this 12 week period.
Old 09-10-2013, 09:45 AM   #6
Sean M. Hutchinson

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff Enge View Post
That is quite a claim considering it is more than feasible to qualify and even perform well at USAW Nationals without a double bodyweight clean...
I'm not trying to qualify people for USAW Nationals. That is a pretty simple feat these days. FYI, I don't know any National Medalist (men's) that didn't at least Clean and Jerk double body weight to win their weightclass besides the 105's and 105+ categories. Anyways, I'm trying to get people stronger so that they can aspire to one day compete at the CrossFit games. I'm not saying I can get you strong enough to get to the games in 12 weeks. I'm just trying to show you there are better ways to train than simply performing metcons day in and day out with one or two strength exercises a day year round. Just like any other sport CrossFit has season. If you aren't totally focused on strength and power development at this point in the season then you are on the wrong track to getting to the games let alone regionals or even top 100 in your region in the open. I'm offering free coaching to help people get better. That is all.
Old 09-10-2013, 09:50 AM   #7
Sean M. Hutchinson

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark E. Wallace View Post
Sorry, but I'm not ever going to take a person up on an offer after they have :

a) condescendingly talked about whether or not I "even have a double body weight clean yet." (as if having one makes you superior to others); or

b) told me that I should probably take them up on their offer. (Thank you very much. I'll make my own choices.)

Sean -- If people believe and are interested, they'll respond accordingly. Only a little over three hours had passed between your first and second posts in this thread. Are you expecting some massive flood of responses? If so, why?

- Mark
I'm sorry you are being so sensitive today. I was simply referring to the fact that the thread had received over 150 views at the time I posted again. I figured the title itself was pretty much self explanatory so if one was clicking they were probably interested in something free. But then again maybe they didn't meet the criteria I requested or whatever reason. The point is I was not being condescending. If you or any other CrossFitter gets offended because I am pointing out the fact that one must be strong to compete at the highest levels in CrossFit then you should re-evaluate your views on CrossFit because they are unrealistic if you don't think you need to be strong to get to the games.

With that said, I am just offering my help to anybody who wants it and I have already received the responses and the 2 athletes have been selected. I'm really stoked to be working with some CrossFit athletes and seeing their progress over the next 12 weeks.
Old 09-10-2013, 09:53 AM   #8
Jeff Enge

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sean M. Hutchinson View Post
I'm not trying to qualify people for USAW Nationals. That is a pretty simple feat these days. FYI, I don't know any National Medalist (men's) that didn't at least Clean and Jerk double body weight to win their weightclass besides the 105's and 105+ categories. Anyways, I'm trying to get people stronger so that they can aspire to one day compete at the CrossFit games. I'm not saying I can get you strong enough to get to the games in 12 weeks. I'm just trying to show you there are better ways to train than simply performing metcons day in and day out with one or two strength exercises a day year round. Just like any other sport CrossFit has season. If you aren't totally focused on strength and power development at this point in the season then you are on the wrong track to getting to the games let alone regionals or even top 100 in your region in the open. I'm offering free coaching to help people get better. That is all.
Oh, I'm with you with all of that. I haven't done more than one MetCon in a week for a few months now (besides a couple competitions). Just, saying something like "don't even have a double bodyweight clean" like it is something readily attainable sounds a little condescending. Just using weightlifting weight classes as an example - that's 375# for an 85kg lifter and 414# for a 94kg lifter (the classes that a large majority of CF competitors would fall into). That's not chump change.

And, I read and didn't respond because I'm already getting in-person coaching from a National-level lifter and USAW Level 2 coach.

Last edited by Jeff Enge : 09-10-2013 at 09:56 AM.
Old 09-10-2013, 10:33 AM   #9
Sean M. Hutchinson

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff Enge View Post
Oh, I'm with you with all of that. I haven't done more than one MetCon in a week for a few months now (besides a couple competitions). Just, saying something like "don't even have a double bodyweight clean" like it is something readily attainable sounds a little condescending. Just using weightlifting weight classes as an example - that's 375# for an 85kg lifter and 414# for a 94kg lifter (the classes that a large majority of CF competitors would fall into). That's not chump change.

And, I read and didn't respond because I'm already getting in-person coaching from a National-level lifter and USAW Level 2 coach.
Talk about taking stuff out of context...What you said I said "don't even have a double bodyweight clean" vs. what I actually said "If you are trying to get to the games or even regionals and you don't even have a double body weight clean yet or close to it". There is a difference between the two. I understand the average "competitive" CrossFit athlete is in that 180-200 range but that still doesn't change the fact that the guys going to the games are hitting double body weight cleans or pretty close to it. When I say close I'm talking about 1.75x's body weight area. I think the girls are starting to get pretty close to 1.5-1.75x's body weight these days at the games.

On another note, wasn't there a chart floating around comparing the average stats of the CrossFit games athletes? I'm pretty sure the average snatch for guys was 260ish and average clean was 320ish? The point being most people who are dreaming of going to the games aren't anywhere near these numbers and need to focus on strength and power development in the off season. Conditioning is not the hard part. I can get an athlete in top not conditioning in a matter of months but it will take years to develop the strength that most of the games competitors have which is why I don't understand why so many CrossFit athletes train the way they do. Not talking about you specifically, just speaking in general.
Old 09-10-2013, 11:11 AM   #10
Aushion Chatman

Profile:

If you really want to train someone for the Games you have two options, get on a 2-3 year plan OR cycle with the competition season.

Most Crossfitters cycle with the season so they train the way they do because you CANNOT afford to be strength biased right up until Januray, with the Open being so METCON heavy, you are setting yourself up to fail.

Now if you want to program for the 2015 Games it's a different story, but anyone training for 2014 needs to set the maximal strength their going to carry through the season by about November. Maybe you could push if you are coming from an aerobic background.

Weightlifting (Oly lifts for layman) most of us will continue to improve on because they aren't strength based.

Anyway, just wanted to shed light on why CF'ers train how they do, because it is really (depending on how far you advance) a 7-9 month off-season. And there's a TON to fit in.