CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Digital Coaching
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Digital Coaching Post pictures or movies for critique and coaching

Old 08-23-2013, 06:49 AM   #1
Roel Quaas

Profile:
Please check my LB Squat and Deadlift :)

Here is my Squat @ 155.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nHDWO...ature=youtu.be

Here is my Deadlift @ 225

I only did 1 rep because I already finished my 1x5 according to SS. I already checked it and notice bad form during my 5 rep set, so I decided to do one with a hopefully better form...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pU-Vq...ature=youtu.be

Thanks! Sorry for the really crappy sound.

Last edited by Roel Quaas : 08-23-2013 at 06:52 AM.
Old 08-23-2013, 09:30 AM   #2
Blaise Davis

Profile:
Re: Please check my LB Squat and Deadlift :)

Squat - I would tell you to not do low bar back squat it just seems to just put you in a horrible position but then again that may start another riot conversation, try to fight that weight and keep your chest up as much as possible, couldn't see your knees but driving out the knees helps keep chest up as well, maybe mobility work if you want to continue low back squat

Deadlift - looks good from what I can tell....great starting form but with your first move your but hikes up In the air.....you need to sink into to it and keep that but down when you drive if that makes sense
Old 08-23-2013, 09:31 AM   #3
Bill M. Hesse

Profile:

Looks pretty good. On your squats you wobble forward a bit. You may just be getting used to the weight, but try and keep back on you heels a little more. Low bar makes it near impossible to keep your chest up like high bar. Keep your groin and hamstrings stretched and remember to keep rockin' in the free world.

Last edited by Bill M. Hesse : 08-23-2013 at 09:33 AM.
Old 08-23-2013, 07:06 PM   #4
Roel Quaas

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blaise Davis View Post
Squat - I would tell you to not do low bar back squat it just seems to just put you in a horrible position but then again that may start another riot conversation, try to fight that weight and keep your chest up as much as possible, couldn't see your knees but driving out the knees helps keep chest up as well, maybe mobility work if you want to continue low back squat

Deadlift - looks good from what I can tell....great starting form but with your first move your but hikes up In the air.....you need to sink into to it and keep that but down when you drive if that makes sense
Thanks Blaise!

On the squat my knees are in V angle, so they shoot out when I drop down.
I started Low Bar since High Bar was killing the area just above my knee caps .

Alright! Thanks for the butt tip, I feel it too that it's rising. I have the same problem when doing Power Cleans, it always comes up first. I guess I'll have to have the quads do all the talking at first. I'll try that sinking.
Old 08-23-2013, 07:10 PM   #5
Roel Quaas

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill M. Hesse View Post
Looks pretty good. On your squats you wobble forward a bit. You may just be getting used to the weight, but try and keep back on you heels a little more. Low bar makes it near impossible to keep your chest up like high bar. Keep your groin and hamstrings stretched and remember to keep rockin' in the free world.
Thanks Bill, yes I do wobble a bit. 155 lbs feels a bit crushing, but not as much as 175 lbs where I can hardly come out of the hole on my last reps. . I'll continue stretching more.

I'm still 135 lbs at only 5'3. I need to gain some more weight.
Old 08-23-2013, 07:16 PM   #6
Jeff Enge

Profile:

That really didnt look all that heavy for you, I think you are selling yourself a little short!

The one thing I would add is working on getting everything set before starting to move down. You end up at the bottom with a solid enough lumbar but you are starting out a little soft. That could become an issue when the weight gets higher.

Also, dont use your body weight as an excuse for anything, just work on getting stronger than you were yesterday no matter how much you weigh.
Old 08-23-2013, 07:18 PM   #7
Roel Quaas

Profile:

Also I've noticed my positioning is a bit different on the Deadlift.

I followed a video saying that I should be a couple inches away from the bar before I bend down and set up, but when I pull I noticed a slanted motion and bringing it down, it curved around my knees.

When I initially get really close to the bar and set up, it allows for a straight bar path...

Is the starting position different for everyone? Does it have to do with height and limb lengths?
Old 08-23-2013, 07:22 PM   #8
Jeff Enge

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roel Quaas View Post
Also I've noticed my positioning is a bit different on the Deadlift.

I followed a video saying that I should be a couple inches away from the bar before I bend down and set up, but when I pull I noticed a slanted motion and bringing it down, it curved around my knees.

When I initially get really close to the bar and set up, it allows for a straight bar path...

Is the starting position different for everyone? Does it have to do with height and limb lengths?
You are setting up your deadlift a little too much like a clean. You should be setting up with your hips a little higher - make sure your hamstrings are loaded before you start lifting, they should be the drivers until the bar get past your knees.

And yes, the bar should be very close to your shins, and your shins should be almost vertical.
Old 08-23-2013, 07:23 PM   #9
Roel Quaas

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff Enge View Post
That really didnt look all that heavy for you, I think you are selling yourself a little short!

The one thing I would add is working on getting everything set before starting to move down. You end up at the bottom with a solid enough lumbar but you are starting out a little soft. That could become an issue when the weight gets higher.

Also, dont use your body weight as an excuse for anything, just work on getting stronger than you were yesterday no matter how much you weigh.
Thanks again Jeff. On the soft start is that the Deadlift or the Squat?

Lol alright my bad, I've been stalling on OHP @ 80 and Bench @ 110 so I kinda been negative these past weeks xD.
Old 08-23-2013, 07:25 PM   #10
Jeff Enge

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roel Quaas View Post
Thanks again Jeff. On the soft start is that the Deadlift or the Squat?

Lol alright my bad, I've been stalling on OHP @ 80 and Bench @ 110 so I kinda been negative these past weeks xD.
Squat, sorry.