CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Digital Coaching
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Digital Coaching Post pictures or movies for critique and coaching

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 08-13-2013, 09:10 PM   #1
Brian Liang
Member Brian Liang is offline
 
Brian Liang's Avatar
 
Profile:
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Calgary  AB Canada
Posts: 82
C&J PR (195) and Snatch PR (155) Check

This is my first time posting a video so I not sure if its going to work properly.

Any and all advice/critique are welcome.
*Note, that my form is alot more sloppier than alot of videos in this section. But it is always a work in progress, and I appreciate any advice which will help me get better.

First video is of me doing a 195lb clean and jerk PR:
My previous PR for the clean was 190lb, and my previous jerk PR was 165lb.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=twcdqQ3q5O4 (wfs)

Second video is of me doing a 155lb snatch PR:
My previous PR for snatch was 150lb.
Compared to my C&J, the snatch is super messy. And I think I may have jumped way too high.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LS7BWxWzU6M (wfs)

Thanks in advance for any advice you have!
__________________
Home Box: Crossfit Sherwoodpark
  Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2013, 12:16 PM   #2
Blaise Davis
Member Blaise Davis is offline
 
Blaise Davis's Avatar
 
Profile:
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: Midland  TX
Posts: 331
Re: C&J PR (195) and Snatch PR (155) Check

pretty solid on both lifts overall....

On c&J - your dip is a little too deep on your jerk....seems like you losing a little bit of explosiveness there....im sure you know you wasted a little energy trying to get your grip ready for the jerk to

on snatch - looked real solid...when you catch drive those knees out on the way up....also it seems like you caught it a bit low and the weight kind of crashed down on you...try catching a little bit higher if you can and riding it down

again I want to reiterate both are pretty solid and just needs some minor tweaking....great job crossfit friend
__________________
http://board.crossfit.com/showthread.php?t=83031
***Team Jesus*** M 5'7"/160/24
  Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2013, 03:08 PM   #3
Brian Liang
Member Brian Liang is offline
 
Brian Liang's Avatar
 
Profile:
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Calgary  AB Canada
Posts: 82
Re: C&J PR (195) and Snatch PR (155) Check

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blaise Davis View Post
pretty solid on both lifts overall....

On c&J - your dip is a little too deep on your jerk....seems like you losing a little bit of explosiveness there....im sure you know you wasted a little energy trying to get your grip ready for the jerk to

on snatch - looked real solid...when you catch drive those knees out on the way up....also it seems like you caught it a bit low and the weight kind of crashed down on you...try catching a little bit higher if you can and riding it down

again I want to reiterate both are pretty solid and just needs some minor tweaking....great job crossfit friend
Thanks Blaise,

After watch my videos I was wondering, gezz my dip seems really slow. But I think you are completely right, I dipped too deep. And the deep dip makes it look like i had a really slow dip.

And I noticed that too with my knees (they were definately going in on my way up). That is definately something I have to work on.

Again thanks for the advice. I am finding reviewing my videos very helpful.
__________________
Home Box: Crossfit Sherwoodpark
  Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2013, 03:42 PM   #4
Jeff Enge
Banned Jeff Enge is offline
 
Profile:
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Collinsville  IL
Posts: 5,542
Re: C&J PR (195) and Snatch PR (155) Check

Clean:
Focus on your setup more. You look very loose when you start pulling, and I think your hips are really high. This is a big reason why you are in the position in the attached picture after your first pull. This is not a powerful position, as when you initiate your second pull the bar goes straight out away from your body. Keep your butt down, your torso more vertical and the bar into your body more.

Jerk:
Yes, you dip a touch low, but it wouldn't be a bad thing if your back didn't get soft at the same time. Have to keep a strong lumbar spine the whole time.

Snatch:
Same thing with the starting position and hips rising as in the clean. You might try starting with your feet a little wider to reduce the amount of distance that you have to "jump."
  Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2013, 05:55 PM   #5
Zach Long
Member Zach Long is offline
 
Zach Long's Avatar
 
Profile:
Join Date: Aug 2013
Location: Charlotte  NC
Posts: 74
Re: C&J PR (195) and Snatch PR (155) Check

Congrats on the PRs.

In addition to the above do you notice that your knees tend to collapse inward during the catch of both lifts and dip of the jerk? This is a sign of glute med weakness and/or potentially faulty movement patterns. Either way, I'd work on fixing that as it isn't good for your knees (injuries)
__________________
Doctor Of Physical Therapy, Writer for CrossFit Journal, NASM-PES, Cert.DryNeedling
www.thebarbellphysio.com
  Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2013, 06:54 AM   #6
Brian Liang
Member Brian Liang is offline
 
Brian Liang's Avatar
 
Profile:
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Calgary  AB Canada
Posts: 82
Re: C&J PR (195) and Snatch PR (155) Check

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff Enge View Post
Clean:
Focus on your setup more. You look very loose when you start pulling, and I think your hips are really high. This is a big reason why you are in the position in the attached picture after your first pull. This is not a powerful position, as when you initiate your second pull the bar goes straight out away from your body. Keep your butt down, your torso more vertical and the bar into your body more.

Jerk:
Yes, you dip a touch low, but it wouldn't be a bad thing if your back didn't get soft at the same time. Have to keep a strong lumbar spine the whole time.

Snatch:
Same thing with the starting position and hips rising as in the clean. You might try starting with your feet a little wider to reduce the amount of distance that you have to "jump."
Thanks Jeff for all these great small pointers advice. This was exactly what I was looking for. Some small tweeks that I can adjust/incorporate into my movements. I have been rushing my setup lately, but thats mainly because I switch to taking my deep breath when I standing vs when im down holding bar. I find when I am standing, I get take more of a deeper breath. Hopefully as I get more use to holding my breath, I wont have to rush my start so much.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zach Long View Post
Congrats on the PRs.

In addition to the above do you notice that your knees tend to collapse inward during the catch of both lifts and dip of the jerk? This is a sign of glute med weakness and/or potentially faulty movement patterns. Either way, I'd work on fixing that as it isn't good for your knees (injuries)
Thanks Zach. Yeah, my squats are by far my weakest points right now, I think I have to incorporate a squats at least 3-4 times a week into my program now aside from the wods at my current box (and focus on my knees). Yesterday, after the wod, I practiced some cleans. I was I ended up getting to 205lb, and I was able to clean and get under the bar twice, however I just couldn't squat it up. My current squat PR from the rack is 205lb.

Today is a Clean PR test day at my box. I going to try to work my way up to 205lb today. However, I probably wont get it. I have a tendency of failing for two days when I attempt a new weight, and on the third day is when I usually get it.
__________________
Home Box: Crossfit Sherwoodpark
  Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2013, 02:19 PM   #7
Zach Long
Member Zach Long is offline
 
Zach Long's Avatar
 
Profile:
Join Date: Aug 2013
Location: Charlotte  NC
Posts: 74
Re: C&J PR (195) and Snatch PR (155) Check

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian Liang View Post



Thanks Zach. Yeah, my squats are by far my weakest points right now, I think I have to incorporate a squats at least 3-4 times a week into my program now aside from the wods at my current box (and focus on my knees). Yesterday, after the wod, I practiced some cleans. I was I ended up getting to 205lb, and I was able to clean and get under the bar twice, however I just couldn't squat it up. My current squat PR from the rack is 205lb.

Today is a Clean PR test day at my box. I going to try to work my way up to 205lb today. However, I probably wont get it. I have a tendency of failing for two days when I attempt a new weight, and on the third day is when I usually get it.
I can almost garuntee you will miss with that attitude.

Reread my post though. I really think you have some glute med weakness issues that are crucial to address unless you want some injuries down the road
__________________
Doctor Of Physical Therapy, Writer for CrossFit Journal, NASM-PES, Cert.DryNeedling
www.thebarbellphysio.com
  Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2013, 09:54 PM   #8
David Bayer
Member David Bayer is offline
 
David Bayer's Avatar
 
Profile:
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Kelso  WA
Posts: 36
Re: C&J PR (195) and Snatch PR (155) Check

On the snatch I would start with your feet wider. The distance your feet have to travel, the less time it takes to set into position at the bottom of the snatch. You hopped quite a bit forward as well which could mean several things. From the looks of it I would say you didn't lean back enough at the end of the second pull, causing the bar to go forward and you hopping forward to catch it. When you reach that final extrension I want you to think of leaning back more and keeping the bar as close to you as possible. Hope this helps
__________________
It's not about the size of the dog in the fight. It's about the size of the fight in the dog
  Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2013, 07:39 AM   #9
Brian Liang
Member Brian Liang is offline
 
Brian Liang's Avatar
 
Profile:
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Calgary  AB Canada
Posts: 82
Re: C&J PR (195) and Snatch PR (155) Check

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Bayer View Post
On the snatch I would start with your feet wider. The distance your feet have to travel, the less time it takes to set into position at the bottom of the snatch. You hopped quite a bit forward as well which could mean several things. From the looks of it I would say you didn't lean back enough at the end of the second pull, causing the bar to go forward and you hopping forward to catch it. When you reach that final extrension I want you to think of leaning back more and keeping the bar as close to you as possible. Hope this helps
Actually that "lean back on the second pull" has been something I have been working on since I took that video. I found that as I got heavy, I was bring the bar out from causing me to jump fowad. Now that I am focusing on the back lean, both my cleans and snatchs feel more solid (especailly my cleans, as they seem to land just in the right spot).
__________________
Home Box: Crossfit Sherwoodpark
  Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Snatch/C&J Analysis Check Tim Squires Digital Coaching 6 05-03-2013 09:48 AM
195 1 arm power snatch Mike Jenkins Exercises 8 11-12-2012 07:26 PM
135# clean and 155# clean form check?? Jonathan Polakowski Digital Coaching 2 02-28-2012 07:40 PM
195# C&j Jeff Stanek Digital Coaching 6 12-24-2010 04:39 PM
Snatch, clean & jerk form check Joachim Lennerskans Digital Coaching 0 05-20-2008 11:10 PM


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 12:09 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.6.8
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
CrossFit is a registered trademark of CrossFit Inc.