CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Digital Coaching
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Digital Coaching Post pictures or movies for critique and coaching

Old 06-20-2013, 03:58 PM   #1
Daniel Frankel

Profile:
My Video Training Log (For Critique Purpose)

Hey guys.

I started a new program today, and I'd like to start posting every day, for the purpose of getting potential critique from anyone who is interested in watching my videos. I figure instead of making a new thread every day, I'll just consistently post in this thread. My biggest problems are my snatch, and my clean/jerk, so I'm going to put them at the beginning of all videos.

Here is todays video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i8mBuA31sEk (WFS)

_____

Week 1, Day 1

- 3-Position Snatch (floor, below knee, above knee) - 60%, 65%, 70% x 4 sets
100x1
107x1
115x3 (Accidentally forgot set #4)
- Snatch Pull - 90% (of sn) x 3 x 2, 95% x 3 x 2
150x3x2
157.5x3x2
- Back Squat - 70% x 5 x 5
227.5x5x5
- Push Press - 70% x 5 x 5
126x5x5

As always, I appreciate any and all advice!

- Daniel
Old 06-21-2013, 07:00 PM   #2
Andrew G. Greenberg

Profile:
Re: My Video Training Log (For Critique Purpose)

Still gotta work on that tightness in your neck and shoulders before the first pull. RELAX. Also, do high bar squats. Otherwise, good hips on the snatches.
Old 06-21-2013, 11:58 PM   #3
Daniel Frankel

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew G. Greenberg View Post
Still gotta work on that tightness in your neck and shoulders before the first pull. RELAX. Also, do high bar squats. Otherwise, good hips on the snatches.
Hey Andrew, I've gotten lots of comments on the tightness. How can I correctly set my back and shoulders in place otherwise? I'm not exactly pulling on the bar as hard as possible, just using it to set myself in place. It's more of an external rotation of my shoulders, and squeezing my upper back/chest/lats area to tighten up and create tension, if that makes a little more sense. (In the video I'm about to post, the bar went up a little because of how light it was).

Thanks for the feedback!
Old 06-22-2013, 12:00 AM   #4
Daniel Frankel

Profile:

Week 1, Day 2

- Power Clean - 70% x 3 x 5
115.5x3x5
- Power Jerk - 60% (of split jerk) x 3 x 5
135x3x5
- Overhead Squat - 70% x 3 x 5
155.5x3x5

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1NeUuleHYek (WFS)

Feedback desired, as per usual. I wasn't sure about my OHS, and dropping the weight back onto my back at the end of my set.
Old 06-22-2013, 05:51 AM   #5
Andrew G. Greenberg

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daniel Frankel View Post
Hey Andrew, I've gotten lots of comments on the tightness. How can I correctly set my back and shoulders in place otherwise? I'm not exactly pulling on the bar as hard as possible, just using it to set myself in place. It's more of an external rotation of my shoulders, and squeezing my upper back/chest/lats area to tighten up and create tension, if that makes a little more sense. (In the video I'm about to post, the bar went up a little because of how light it was).

Thanks for the feedback!
Yes, I understand what you are doing with your back. I am telling you that this is not correct for weightlifting. You should be relaxed with your neck and shoulders at the setup, with the spine in neutral.
Old 06-22-2013, 06:23 AM   #6
Jeff Enge

Profile:

1. I do enjoy your choice of training music.

2. What Andrew is trying to say, is you don't want to be tense in the shoulder/neck area, it makes you stiff and stiff isn't good for something as dynamic as weightlifting. Solid core and glutes, yes.
Old 06-22-2013, 03:12 PM   #7
Daniel Frankel

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff Enge View Post
1. I do enjoy your choice of training music.

2. What Andrew is trying to say, is you don't want to be tense in the shoulder/neck area, it makes you stiff and stiff isn't good for something as dynamic as weightlifting. Solid core and glutes, yes.
Just the radio actually, Q107.1 (Classic Rock) is the only station I listen to. But thanks!

Do you think you could show me a video of some sort (if its possible to find) comparing the difference in doing a clean or snatch with a tensed up shoulder/neck area vs. relaxed?
Old 06-22-2013, 03:43 PM   #8
Jeff Enge

Profile:

It kind of sounded like radio, you still have choices of which station to listen to so the fact it's not regurgitated pop crap is a plus

Don't know of any that compare tense to not, but here's a good setup: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4NL6rqGAJlE wfs good stuff starts around :35.
Old 06-22-2013, 04:33 PM   #9
Andrew G. Greenberg

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daniel Frankel View Post
Just the radio actually, Q107.1 (Classic Rock) is the only station I listen to. But thanks!

Do you think you could show me a video of some sort (if its possible to find) comparing the difference in doing a clean or snatch with a tensed up shoulder/neck area vs. relaxed?
OK, you will not find elite weightlifters who tense up their necks because that is not how it is taught. Look up any of the really good weightlifters and you will see they all have a relaxed start position. This is Clarence Kennedy, who is technically sound. Copy everything he does and you'll be golden.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IWw1FyB7KzY SAFE LINK
Old 06-22-2013, 07:09 PM   #10
Jonathan Foss

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew G. Greenberg View Post
OK, you will not find elite weightlifters who tense up their necks because that is not how it is taught. Look up any of the really good weightlifters and you will see they all have a relaxed start position. This is Clarence Kennedy, who is technically sound. Copy everything he does and you'll be golden.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IWw1FyB7KzY SAFE LINK
That is incredible.