CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Exercises
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Exercises Movements, technique & proper execution

Old 06-02-2007, 12:36 PM   #1
Felix Döhring

Profile:
Hi!

My first post on this board. First of all I want to excuse for my english. I am from Germany and new to Crossfit, which overhere only a few people know about (I am trying to convince a few people to do WoDs with me).

To my question:

I wanted to do this WoD:

1000m rows
20 pullups
30 boxjumps

Unfortunately I don´t have a rowing-machine. So I did sumo-deadlift-highpulls as a substitute. I took a 45 pounds barbell an did 100 reps as substitute for 1000m rowing.

Though I am in pretty good condition I wasn´t able to do 100 reps without pausing. So I think 100 reps with 45 pds is too much.

What is Your opinion about this?

I thank You all for Your answers!

Sincerly,

Felix
Old 06-02-2007, 01:56 PM   #2
William Hunter

Profile:
First of all, welcome, and your english is just fine.

45# Barbell sumo dl high pulls is the standard sub for rowing. However, you can sub a lower weight if you choose, so that you'll be able to move continuously. If you keep at it you will eventually be able to perform 100 reps with 45, or you may eventually have access to a rower. Win/win situation :-)
Old 06-02-2007, 04:00 PM   #3
David Sailor

Profile:
Felix,
Before I got a rower, I did the SDHP as a sub with the oly bar, 45 lbs. I remember thinking "this is going to be so much easier when I get a rower" because the SDHP were so difficult. Well, I was wrong. The rower is hard, too. It really is a close approximation to the effort spent on a rower. If you want to stay as true to the intent of the WOD as possible, stick with the 45 lb bar and break up the reps into subsets. Hope this helps, David.
Old 06-02-2007, 04:27 PM   #4
James Falkner

Profile:
I can easily do 1000m row in decent time. However, I cannot do 100 SDLHP's with a 45 lb bar. What gives? Am I doing them wrong? It seems like it's not a good sub.
Old 06-02-2007, 07:27 PM   #5
Connie Morreale

Profile:
i'm with james.
Old 06-03-2007, 03:00 AM   #6
Felix Döhring

Profile:
Thank You for Your answers so far!

But it seems that we got different opinions here.

William and David:

If I break the 100 rep set in parts, my heartrate stays low. Ain´t it better to reach a high heartrate by doing reps without pause?

I never used a rowing machine. But when looking at the WoD-Videos, it seems like rowing using a rowing machine is a fluent movement, while I have to overcome (is this the right expression?) momentum when doing SDLHP.

I did the SDLHP on Thursday and still my muscles are sore (shoulders and traps, even biceps).

James: Which exercise would You recommend as a better substitute?

Thanks!
Old 06-03-2007, 04:08 AM   #7
David Sailor

Profile:
Keep in mind, the SDHP is a sub and therefore an approximation of what it is replacing, i.e. the rower. I think it definately hits you differently than rowing and you saw this with the shoulder and trap involvement. I have always done them with as much hip extension as possible so that the bar is elevated to mid waist level by hip extension alone. I'm trying to put more emphasis on the legs/hips rather than the arms so it's closer to what muscle groups the rower uses.
Regarding breaking the 100 reps into subsets, see if you can do the 100 reps in about 4 minutes. I know that the 1000 m times are all over the board for us but anywhere between 3:45 and 4:00 would be a reasonable time to shoot for. If it takes 5-6 minutes, then I think that's too long. Maybe a lighter weight would be advisable then. I'm only throwing a time out as a guideline, others may feel a higher or lower time is more reasonable. David.
Old 06-03-2007, 06:11 AM   #8
James Falkner

Profile:
I think the problem with the SDLHP is that there is *no* rest period, whereas with rowing, you can sort of rest on the way back to the starting position unless you're pulling b**ls-to-the-wall style. David, good point regarding the "it's a sub, people". Rower offers horizontal resistance. You can't get that with gravity alone, which always provides vertical resistance by itself.

I'm gonna try 20 tricep kickbacks on a bosu ball next time.
Old 06-05-2007, 06:33 AM   #9
Chris Kemp

Profile:
A bunch of us at CF London played around with this last year looking for a closer numerical sub for rowing. We tried swings, burpees etc but I do think the SDHP is the closest of the lot.

Maybe for short bursts like FGB heavy swings are a closer numerical match, but the SDHP is closest in physical impact.

Done correctly, with a powerful contribution from the hips you just need a little assist from the arms to finish the rep. Ideally, after the hip is finished the bar kinda floats up so it is not until the bar returns to the high hang on the way down that you need to provide much energy - not a rest but close.

They are not the same but if your rowing stroke is sound I think you should be able to get pretty efficient with the SDHP with only a little practice. I also think that streamlining your SDHP will prepare you well for the time when you do have access to a rower.

Felix, I would say if your biceps are trashed you probably are not taking advantage of the power in your hips.

Lastly, if you are just using an empty bar it may help to set up a couple of steps either side of you so the bar comes to a stop about mid shin rather than just having to wing it. This helps stabilise the movement and may shorten it if you are letting it fall closer to the floor.

Personally, I use my 54lb kettlebell rather than the 45lb bar for this reason (I would use a 44lb kettlebell if I had one though!!)

Cheers, kempie

(Message edited by kempie on June 05, 2007)
Old 06-07-2007, 11:24 PM   #10
Brandon Oto

Profile:
I agree -- really try to make it lower body as much as possible. This is true for the deadlift, true for the erg, and true for the SDHP -- it's just more important for the last to be a reasonable sub. Legs then back then up the back then arms, in order.

If you try this and it's still a little whack, you could lower the weight, if you can find a bar for it (maybe a curl bar). But even then I wouldn't go far; maybe 5-10 pounds less.