CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Nutrition
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Nutrition Diet, supplements, weightloss, health & longevity

Old 10-19-2011, 12:55 PM   #1
Jonathan Polakowski

Profile:
Just wanted to point out another horribly written Anti Paleo article!!!

Being an ACE certified professional this article makes me cringe and seems so self serving and loosely based its not even funny.

http://www.acefitness.org/certifiedn...fiedNews_1011#

Jonathan
Old 10-19-2011, 01:10 PM   #2
Steve Liberati

Profile:
Re: Just wanted to point out another horribly written Anti Paleo article!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonathan Polakowski View Post
Being an ACE certified professional this article makes me cringe and seems so self serving and loosely based its not even funny.

Jonathan
Horrible is an understatement. The author's grammar is pathetic.
Old 10-19-2011, 02:01 PM   #3
Zach S

Profile:

I loled at ACE certified professional.
Old 10-19-2011, 02:19 PM   #4
Jonathan Polakowski

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zach Schul View Post
I loled at ACE certified professional.
Hey its a good way to make a living. If you have something to say about that then were through.
Old 10-19-2011, 05:41 PM   #5
Rob Samuels

Profile:  

I love this article! It draws attention to many of the issues I have with the paleo diet. Good find.
Old 10-19-2011, 06:08 PM   #6
Preston Sprimont

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonathan Polakowski View Post

Jonathan
I didn't think the article was too bad at all. It had some good points about the pitfalls of following an uber-strict Paleo diet, and it did attempt to be fair in its assessment and pointed out the almost unarguably positive aspects of a Paleo diet (eliminating processed foods, fewer refined sugars, etc.). The last section of the article, "Is the Paleo Diet Even Healthy?", was a bit rubbish in my opinion. It steered away from discerning assessment and went more in the direction of 1990s food chain adherence and "whole grains are the holy grail of health" mentality. It also had some pretty awful quotes from apparent nutritional experts... Here's the one that really stood out to me:
Dr. Felicia Stoler, exercise physiologist and president of the Greater New York chapter of the American College of Sports Medicine, demurs: “Bread has been around for thousands of years, which means it can’t be that harmful. Rice is very popular everywhere. Something about starchy carbs is very appealing to most humans.”
Yikes.

All in all though, I don't think this article deserves the demonizing it's receiving.
Old 10-19-2011, 06:11 PM   #7
Preston Sprimont

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Liberati View Post
Horrible is an understatement. The author's grammar is pathetic.
Really? The grammar seemed just fine to me. Syntax is maybe a bit cluttered at points, but I didn't see any big errors.
This article exceeds many others out there, both in content and in syntax/grammar. Just because it is anti-Paleo doesn't make it utter crap.
Old 10-19-2011, 08:21 PM   #8
Doug Blankenship

Profile:

It's not bad at all. He brought up some good points.
Old 10-20-2011, 05:57 AM   #9
Paulo Santos

Profile:

This is the best comment on the article.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Josh Stiglets View Post
So let me get this straight - ACE is ag advocating against a diet where lean proteins, healthy fats, vegetables and fruits, and whole unprocessed foods are the priority? And ACE is advocating diets that are comprised mostly of antinutrient processed gluten-based carbs that are contributing to the obesity and diabetes epidemic Americans face? Let's get in the 21st century ACE. While I don't subscribe to the Paleo diet, their nutrition principles are closer to mine than the ridiculously unsound Food Pyramid conspiracy that's based solely on government lobbyists and big Agriculture money. And I have been eating this way for 15 years and my health and blood labs just continue to improve, and my clients that adopt my nutrition style see an improvement across the board on their labs in as little as 60 days. Proof is in the pudding. This article, along with most other ACE nutrition articles, are unsound, based on no kind of true science, and very poorly written. We feed grains to livestock for what reason? To fatten them up! And we are doing the same thing to ourselves. We take the cows away from their green grass vegetable diet and what happens to the cow's lipid profile? Bye bye healthy lipid profile full of Omega 3s and CLA; and hello unhealthy lipid profile. I could go on for weeks on this subject.
Old 10-20-2011, 09:38 AM   #10
Bill M. Hesse

Profile:

I think that even a vegan can have decent health markers if they train right and are careful with what goes in their mouth and not have to supplement. Paleo too, but the issue as with anything like diet, exercise, religion, politics, etc is that people do get involved. Most people are just plain dump and couldn't eat healthily if they were surrounded by fields of grass feed animals and spinach. I take it all with a grain of salt because I don't underestimate the powers of idiocy.