CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Equipment
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Equipment Outfitting a serious gym. Vendors & suppliers. Devices & equipment

Old 11-02-2006, 05:35 PM   #1
Chris Fitzgerald

Profile:
Does anyone know where I could get my hands on one of those huge monster truck size tractor tires, uh for free? Used obviously. Probably a pipe dream huh?
Old 11-02-2006, 05:48 PM   #2
Rene Renteria

Profile:
Not at all. Search the boards. I think Eugene A. talked about this fairly recently. Places have to pay a disposal fee, so they're happy to give them away to you. (But keep that in mind if you're going to have to get rid of it sometime.)

Like this:
http://www.crossfit.com/discus/messages/20/24525.html
"...you can go to a place that sells tractor tires and get a big tire for free...assuming you have a place to keep such a thing. You can use the tire to flip, roll, hit with a sledgejammer and of course to do jumps on. I have a workout called Road Rage we do with a big tire and two 25 pound D-balls. One D-ball on each side of the tire with room enough to flip it. Do a burpee on the ball, stand with the ball to a full squat clean, stand and jerk the ball overhead, slam the ball and then immediately jump on the tire. Jump back off, flip the tire over, jump into the tire, jump out the other side to the other ball. That was one. Now do that 10 times and you've got yourself quite a lung scorcher. Not exactly an entry level event but a great use of a tractor tire. ..."

(Try "big tire free" and the like for search terms. Someone else mentioned to look for places that sell/change bus and commercial truck tires.)

(Message edited by rrenteri on November 02, 2006)
Old 11-02-2006, 06:10 PM   #3
Paul Worman

Profile:
Any tire place that deals in big tires (or any tires for that matter) will give you the tires for free.
Old 11-02-2006, 10:24 PM   #4
Chris Fitzgerald

Profile:
Thanks ya'll. I'll have to keep it at the station cause the wifey won't really appreciate the idea of a tractor tire in the garage. One of my buddies and I were talking today about possible workouts with one of those suckers and we were getting all fired up. Should be cool.
Old 11-03-2006, 02:01 AM   #5
George Brothers

Profile:
chris
you wont get a new tire for free. they cost a lot of money.
you can go to a place that has tractor tires and they will unload a used one that has been patched up that can no longer be put on a vehicle for free because to get rid of it they have to pay a disposal fee.
mine looks like due to many patches and the treads are all chewed and scarred but it works and it was free.
i went to one tire place and they did not have something that fit the bill but they knew exactly who would and directed me to them. i would just call the place you get your regular vehicle tires from and ask.
Old 11-03-2006, 09:12 AM   #6
Franklin Shogie

Profile:
http://sandiego.craigslist.org/zip/228488518.html

http://sandiego.craigslist.org/zip/227071478.html

from craig's list