CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Fitness
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Fitness Theory and Practice. CrossFit's rationale & foundations. Who is fit? What is fitness?

Old 03-06-2011, 02:15 AM   #1
Kenneth Westerman

Profile:
youth + recovery

I'm currently on starting strength, so I've been reading a lot about it and the high amount of recovery time necessary to facilitate sustained gains. However, I also have read in many places that younger people (I am 18) recover much faster, and then, as I understand it, could theoretically do a higher volume of work in a week without hindering performance. My question is, assuming what I have said is true, would it be smart to take advantage of this and workout more often? This does not necessarily have to apply to SS, but I'm more just looking for a general answer on whether it is smart/effective for younger people should add volume "because they can."
Old 03-06-2011, 03:24 AM   #2
John Swanson

Profile:
Re: youth + recovery

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenneth Westerman View Post
I'm currently on starting strength, so I've been reading a lot about it and the high amount of recovery time necessary to facilitate sustained gains. However, I also have read in many places that younger people (I am 18) recover much faster, and then, as I understand it, could theoretically do a higher volume of work in a week without hindering performance. My question is, assuming what I have said is true, would it be smart to take advantage of this and workout more often? This does not necessarily have to apply to SS, but I'm more just looking for a general answer on whether it is smart/effective for younger people should add volume "because they can."
It depends. if you are a novice lifter then no. You need to build a tolerance up for more volume.

If you watch the video on http://journal.crossfit.com/2011/03/...reArticleTitle WFS

he talks in depth about how younger athletes can't handle the volume of say a professional. He does state however that it isnt important what level of athletics you are it is based off what level your training is at.

So again I ask are you are you Novice, Intermediate, Advanced, Elite?

My most advanced athletes who I have been training since 8th grade are now 18 years old. They fall in the Advance category. They train 5 days a week hard. My 18 year old athletes who are for the first time doing real training (by this I mean using a real program that isnt machine based work or other half *** programs) train 4 days a week with 2 being Higher volume and 2 being strength based.

Also there is a thread of the Fitness page talking about the Conjugate Crossfit Program. I would read this whole thing along with the Journal Article on it. This program maybe more what you are looking for.

http://board.crossfit.com/showthread.php?t=63090 WFS

http://journal.crossfit.com/2010/11/...e-crossfit.tpl WFS

Hope this helps.
Old 03-06-2011, 03:46 AM   #3
Adam Carlson

Profile:

SS is a great program, and you will definitely see gains, that's for sure. The conjugate CF program is also excellent, and it will allow you to pursue strength and MetCons at the same time. It all depends on what your goals are. Like I said, both are great.
Old 03-06-2011, 09:19 AM   #4
Robert Fabsik

Profile:

Part of Starting Strength's sucess is its balance between volume, hard work and recovery. Yes, younger people recover faster in the ability to hit the gym again and not feel drained/fatigued/sore, but in terms of recovering to experience growths in strength I think the advantage is minimal and would result in too much training instead of too little.

I've seen a lot of high schoolers who can work out 5 times a week hard, but really don't gain any weight and the weights stall pretty quick. They don't feel tired/worn out but just can't push up higher weights. For strength gains, three times a week on a linear progression program is more than enough for young athletes, and I think one can argue as one ages or gains slow on a linear progression program that gains can be reignited by training only 2 times a week for strenght purposes.

Now as one advances and can handle more volume, one can train more often.
Old 03-06-2011, 11:52 AM   #5
Steven Low

Profile:

Your recovery ability will allow you to continue linear progression much longer than someone who is older.

This is what the recovery means.

Increasing the amount of training days is typically reserved for those who are already relatively strong (e.g. advanced training "age") who have years of conditioning work under their belt to maintain a higher volume of work without burning out.

So no, you should not add more training days when you're doing something like SS.
Old 03-06-2011, 12:13 PM   #6
Kenneth Westerman

Profile:

Thanks for the replies everyone.
John, I am currently almost exactly intermediate based on Rip's strength standards, but 4 workouts into strict SS I feel like I will be able to sustain gains for a while, so that may signify more of a novice level of strength.
I definitely will keep following strict SS without adding metcons or anything, was more just curious about the question as a general principle -- it seems like the answer I'm getting is that although a younger person's body will feel better more quickly, it won't actually help their training to workout more often until they become more advanced.
Old 03-06-2011, 08:17 PM   #7
Steven Low

Profile:

Quote:
I'm getting is that although a younger person's body will feel better more quickly, it won't actually help their training to workout more often until they become more advanced.
Correct.
Old 03-06-2011, 10:37 PM   #8
Chris Mason

Profile:

Youth is a beautiful thing as far as the body and training go. When I was 20 I could train with crazy intensity and do it again in a couple of days and still progress so long as I ate enough...
Old 03-07-2011, 11:41 AM   #9
Bryan Hood

Profile:

As a person who used to inject Androne Enanthate, I'm 35, I'll say this...you're only in your teens once. The amount of growth hormones and testosterone flowing in your body right now is the highest it'll ever be. People pay a LOT of money for what you have naturally producing. Use it and use it wisely. Yes, your recovery times are a lot shorter right now. I used to pound weights then do a CF workout the same day, within hours. I was crazy strong, fast, cut and felt awesome!! I don't do any of that stuff now. Just be smart but I'd say pile on the weight if that's what your aim is. Get plenty of sleep cause that's when your growth hormone level is at it's highest, solid 8 hours of sleep. Your metabolism is screaming so eat but again, eat smartly. You can handle more calories and actually need more calories than I do, as long as the output is there. Don't maintain a high caloric intake if you're not putting out. The teens are a wonderful time. Get it while the gettin is good. Do some research. That's my opinion and it may be highly disagreed with. Like I said, keep doing your research.