CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Equipment
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Equipment Outfitting a serious gym. Vendors & suppliers. Devices & equipment

Old 08-27-2008, 09:40 PM   #1
Blair Robert Lowe

Profile:
Suspension straps and thoughts on them?

So I've been asked if suspension fitness straps would be any good. Personally, I already have a set of rings and prefer them.

W/F safe
http://cgi.ebay.com/Pro-Fitness-Susp...QQcmdZViewItem

I find them a bit interesting. Obviously, they are way cheaper to the overpriced suspension systems I have seen. They could probably be manufactured by one's own labor and ingenuity if they had any those the person asking me doubts his ( he's young ).

I'm pretty sure some gymnastics moves could not be done sensibly or safely like handstands, planche, cross/swallow, or muscle-ups. Last one being pretty important.

There is some interesting stuff you can do with them non-gymnastics wise but I could make an ab wheel or yoga ball for it.

Thoughts, opinions?
Old 08-28-2008, 06:06 AM   #2
Ahmik Jones

Profile:
Re: Suspension straps and thoughts on them?

These are priced about right, unlike the other brand. They would probably be useful as a second set after buying a pair of rings, if you wanted to have a set that is always close to the ground for conditioning work. They also have an advantage over the other brand of not having a single attachment point.

They still have the rotating handles which makes it difficult to do a strict muscle up. However, you can do a kipping muscle up on the other brand even with the single attachment point, so I am sure these would work for most CrossFit exercises.

I am not sure how much value the additional exercises, such as doing push-ups on the groung with your feet in the straps add.

I would save up to get rings first, there is just no substitute, and then consider these if I needed a second set.
Old 08-29-2008, 12:08 AM   #3
Blair Robert Lowe

Profile:

Thanks, I will refer the young guy who asked me to this thread. Rog managed to answer over on his board, so those replies should answer his question thoroughly.

I think doing pushups with your feet in the straps would be just as unstable as holding rings in your hands.
Old 09-08-2008, 09:27 AM   #4
Scott Carter

Profile:

I'll respond to this thread since I am the person producing / selling the Pro Fitness Straps on eBay. I didn't want to blatantly advertise my product here, but since someone brought them up, I'll respond.

My original idea was to offer hand-made wooden rings on eBay, but the labor involved for mass production would not be something I could handle on a part time basis. I've priced the suspension straps at the minimum I can and still make a modest profit. As I get more sales, I plan to look at CNC manufactured wooden rings, as I like the look and feel of wood better than plastic / metal. I've found a company that will produce them, but I'll need to make quite a big first purchase, and I'm doing this on a cash basis.

I added the foot strap for suspension exercises after I saw that they could be used for assisting handstand pushups. Though I haven't tried it yet, I think you could work some of the same muscles that bucket circles work with your feet in the straps.
Old 09-08-2008, 10:14 AM   #5
Bart Hodlik

Profile:

Might want to be careful on the straps and selling them on ebay, as they very closely resemble these....
http://www.fitnessanywhere.com (w/f/s)

I don't know who came first, but they are almost identical to each other.
Old 09-17-2008, 04:50 PM   #6
Blair Robert Lowe

Profile:

Interesting Scott. A long time ago before I knew of bucket systems and was really noobish in coaching gymnastics I thought about strapping one's feet and doing circles off something hanging off the rings ( it was the only area I had in the gym to set it up ).

I eventually nixed the idea because it means you're stuck by your ankles in the system so there is more of a danger than bucket systems when things muck up ( and because I would be responsible probably in the gym if something went wrong ). I played around with even a bungee system to have a line under tension that could extend but Rog told me once that could have disasterous results as well. For that application it's better to have the line attached to a system that can move where it's stationed.

Wood rings still trump anything else.
Old 09-25-2008, 07:34 PM   #7
Blair Robert Lowe

Profile:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AtWV9...eature=related

So, apparently it is possible to Muscle-Up on them. Wasn't quite sure. This ups their potential in my book a lot. I still wonder if it's easy to slip in the support since the pvc stick rings I made tended to.