CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > In Sickness and In Health > Injuries
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Injuries Chronic & Acute

Old 06-18-2009, 10:46 PM   #11
Steven Low

Profile:
Re: inside elbow pain / pullups

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon Clingenpeel View Post
Best of luck to you, I'm going on 2 1/2 months with this. First month I tried resting (I did the occasional set of; pull-ups which did not help), I then went to the ortho, he gave me two options PT or cortizone shot. I took the PT which I started last week. The PT is helping (ultrasound w/ some kind of anti-inflamatory medicine, masage, exercises, stretching and ice with stem). Also don't take NSAID's (aleive is one) too long, it can impeade the muscle repair.
Sounds like your PT is pretty good

The massage, ice and lighter exercises are the most important.
Old 06-22-2009, 02:37 PM   #12
Brad Davis

Profile:

Good luck with that. I've had GE for going on 24 months now. It's gone away and come back at least 6 times by now. Every time I work back to sets of about 10 pullups, it comes right back. I've tried every grip known to man, straps, fish oil, massage, ice, blah blah blah. GE seems to be here for good.
Old 06-22-2009, 04:35 PM   #13
Steven Low

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brad Davis View Post
Good luck with that. I've had GE for going on 24 months now. It's gone away and come back at least 6 times by now. Every time I work back to sets of about 10 pullups, it comes right back. I've tried every grip known to man, straps, fish oil, massage, ice, blah blah blah. GE seems to be here for good.
Sounds like you should lay off the pullups for a couple months
Old 06-22-2009, 06:12 PM   #14
Brad Davis

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steven Low View Post
Sounds like you should lay off the pullups for a couple months
I've done that about 6 times already--lost count. I've waited until the pain is totally gone (usually that's been at least 2 months. Once, I waited 6 months) and then restart slowly. Every time so far, when I get to about 10 rep sets of pullups, it just comes back.
Old 06-22-2009, 06:56 PM   #15
Steven Low

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brad Davis View Post
I've done that about 6 times already--lost count. I've waited until the pain is totally gone (usually that's been at least 2 months. Once, I waited 6 months) and then restart slowly. Every time so far, when I get to about 10 rep sets of pullups, it just comes back.
Has to be a technique issue or recovery issue (diet/sleep) then

Or you have really poor genetics.
Old 06-23-2009, 12:01 AM   #16
Jason Sweeney

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steven Low View Post
Has to be a technique issue or recovery issue (diet/sleep) then

Or you have really poor genetics.

Not true. I have been in on many surgeries for tennis and golfers elbow repairs. If you look at these things grossly in the OR there is all this greyish inflammatory tissue all around the tendon. This area heals poorly due to low blood flow. The greyish tissue is very friable and bleeds easily. Can't prove it, but in people with long standing problems, probably just keep microinjuring this friable area. Doesn't have to be a technique thing or poor genetics. Could just be months of microinjury with improper healing building up this bad tissue that is easily reinjured.

Not alot is known about preventing or curing these things. If you could solve this problem, or low back issues, you'd be a billionaire.
Old 06-23-2009, 03:54 AM   #17
Rolf Whitney

Profile:

I have had it worse than I do now, but use ice and massage...and work through the pain.
I think that is what it has come to.
Old 06-23-2009, 09:56 AM   #18
Brad Davis

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason Sweeney View Post
Not true. I have been in on many surgeries for tennis and golfers elbow repairs. If you look at these things grossly in the OR there is all this greyish inflammatory tissue all around the tendon. This area heals poorly due to low blood flow. The greyish tissue is very friable and bleeds easily. Can't prove it, but in people with long standing problems, probably just keep microinjuring this friable area. Doesn't have to be a technique thing or poor genetics. Could just be months of microinjury with improper healing building up this bad tissue that is easily reinjured.

Not alot is known about preventing or curing these things. If you could solve this problem, or low back issues, you'd be a billionaire.
Thanks. After Steven's reply, I figured I should just go crawl into a corner and cry about it--I either can't even figure out how to do a pullup, my sleep schedule is wrong, or my (very good) diet is wrong, or I'm just a genetic freak. (Joking, LOL)

Rippetoe seems to agree with what you typed. It's not the regular, run-of-the-mill injury that occurs for the usual reasons. It's sneaky and persistent.

When I inflicted this upon myself, I was doing pullups and had added towel pullups about 6 weeks earlier. Over a period of months, I had worked up to 18 dead-hang pullups, so didn't just step into the gym and hurt myself. The total pullup workload was 3 sets of pullups and 3 sets of towel pullups every 3rd (edit--went back and looked) day. I started feeling what felt just a tad different from "good" pain in that area. After about 2 workouts like that (maybe 3--it's been 2 years and I didn't journal this, LOL), the pain was there the next morning and I did some research and guessed it was GE. Two MDs have confirmed it since then. They seem to be of little help in fixing it. It's been there ever since.

Right now, the pain has been gone for probably 2 weeks. I'm recovering from a bilateral hernia repair for the next 3 weeks, so that'll give more time. During the last few attempts, I would start with 3 sets of 3 or 5 pullups, about once or twice a week. Using the starting point of 3 for example, the next time, I'd do 4,3,3. Next week 4,4,3, and keep going. I've done it different ways, but this is hte idea. Each time, when I've gotten to about 10,10,10, it comes back. I've tried every grip that I know to try. Chinups and palms-facing grips cause it to come back slower than overhand. (edited this paragraph also -- went back and looked at my journal to get more accurate)

Any ideas of something different to try this time? I realize some guessing is required. I thought about buying a gripper and trying that route. Progress to harder grippers at a snail's pace over maybe 6-12 months until I'm doing very hard ones. Then try pullups again.

Last edited by Brad Davis : 06-23-2009 at 10:25 AM.
Old 06-23-2009, 10:34 AM   #19
Steven Low

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason Sweeney View Post

I didn't say anything incorrect.

Poor tissue quality is as you said due to a lack of correct recovery methods as I stated. It doesn't necessarily have to be technique/genetics but it can be as well (those are just alternatives). That's why I always say to improve diet to keep inflammation low + massage and ice b/c they improve blood flow.

If something is chronic the last thing you should be doing is trying to get back to exercise without doing proper rehab first..... and seriously, if something is chronic that needs to be made KNOWN right away. Something that is fairly recent onset requires a bit of different approach that chronic injuries.

Quote:
Any ideas of something different to try this time to not have it come back? I realize some guessing is required. I thought about buying a gripper and trying that route. Progress to harder grippers at a snail's pace over maybe 6-12 months until I'm doing very hard ones. Then try pullups again.
Massive amounts of massage and ice. Massage yourself (crossfriction & myofascial) at least 60+ minutes a day.. can be split in different sessions. If you drive to work like I do then you can do it in the car (which is what I do) or during other times as well (as I do).

Low inflammation diet... Paleo works. Fish oil.

Very light stretching until it doesn't hurt anymore then some light eccentric work.

This is all the stuff I outlined in my original post.

Last edited by Steven Low : 06-23-2009 at 10:36 AM.
Old 06-23-2009, 07:10 PM   #20
Rolf Whitney

Profile:

I should have mentioned that the stretching helped me too. Also, when I massage with the ice (ice frozen in a paper cup works great for this), I work the ice on the forearms quite a bit as well, which seems to help. If this actually does help (and I am not imagining things) maybe Steven could tell me why? Does that tendon that hurts run from the elbow to the wrist?