CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > In Sickness and In Health > Injuries
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Injuries Chronic & Acute

Old 10-11-2011, 06:36 AM   #1
Danny Calders

Profile:
Fast recovery: how to?

I have recently broken my wrist, next week I'll have the cast removed, by than I will have spend 6 weeks without upper body workouts. My coach tells me I will be able to grow strength and muscle easier (compared to starting from nothing) due to muscle memory.

Any tips or schedules as to easing into full recovery? I hope to be back at full strength by the end of the year, is that possible?
Old 10-11-2011, 07:01 AM   #2
Wilfredo Flores

Profile:
Re: Fast recovery: how to?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danny Calders View Post
I have recently broken my wrist, next week I'll have the cast removed, by than I will have spend 6 weeks without upper body workouts. My coach tells me I will be able to grow strength and muscle easier (compared to starting from nothing) due to muscle memory.

Any tips or schedules as to easing into full recovery? I hope to be back at full strength by the end of the year, is that possible?
Everyone talks about muscle memory as if muscles have brains. The truth is that what we try to do while re-learning a movement is trying to re-create neurological patterns from the brain to whatever muscle group one is trying to heal. But that's neither here or there.

If I were you, I would take it very easy at first. There is atrophy in wrist and the upper body in general has lost much of its strength. Yes, you'll recover faster than one whom is starting from scratch, however one should start at a much lower weight. Most importantly you should speak to your doctor about the actual healing process and ask how long before the wrist will be able to take on a heavy load.

I hope you're also planning on physical therapy to strengthen the wrist, if not, I would consider it. Manipulate, stretch, compress, and ice it every day until the wrist feels secure. Take care of the wrist now, and it will be your buddy for a lifetime.
Old 10-11-2011, 07:25 AM   #3
Danny Calders

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wilfredo Flores View Post
I hope you're also planning on physical therapy to strengthen the wrist, if not, I would consider it. Manipulate, stretch, compress, and ice it every day until the wrist feels secure. Take care of the wrist now, and it will be your buddy for a lifetime.
I will definitely take physical therapy. I had my other wrist broken in a snowboarding accident many years ago and physio has helped me get back mobility and strength, as well as avoiding internal scar tissue.

I'll also start all exercises with really low weights (unloaded barbells, etc) and I hope to make weekly increases...
Old 10-11-2011, 10:10 PM   #4
Ben Moskowitz

Profile:

Follow whatever your doctor/P.T. says until you are clear. I highly recommend working with a physio, too. Generally, your goals following an injury are to
1) make sure you aren't reinjuring yourself
2) restore passive range of motion
3) restore strength and dynamic stability
4) restore active range of motion
5) ease back into functional activities

This means you might not be looking at holding barbells in your hands until you check off items 1 through 4. The goal is the strongest you can be one year from now, not six weeks from now.

In any case, I would ask about what lower body exercises are okay (list them specifically) and if one-arm upper body exercises would be okay for the unaffected arm. Working out will help with the recovery process, but not if you are reinjuring yourself.

Make sure you are getting good sleep and nutrition.
Old 10-20-2011, 05:42 AM   #5
Danny Calders

Profile:

Just got back from hospital, had my cast removed. The doctor prescribed 18 sessions of Physiotherapy and told me I should not get back to CrossFitting before December

I gues until then I'll work on mobility and I'll start swimming to get my upper body back in shape...
Old 10-20-2011, 06:12 AM   #6
Mike Wazowski

Profile:

Just squat.

'51 Days before the 83 World Championships he [Antonio Krastev] missed a 200 snatch in training and punched the wall breaking his hand. They told him he would never be ready for the meet and would have to stay behind. Since he could not Snatch or Clean - He squatted A LOT! Singles, doubles, triples -- whatever he felt like each workout. He told me there were times he would do as many as 50 triples. After 27 days with the cast he cut it off himself and started using a cheap gripper for hours a day. Within 4 training sessions he snatched 190 and cleaned 240 and at that competition he was the first man to snatch 200 at a World Championship.'
Old 11-15-2011, 05:40 AM   #7
Danny Calders

Profile:

Status update: it's been little over 3 weeks since I came out of a cast and recovery has been incredible. I never thought a bone could heal so fast.

I am going to a physical therapist 3 times a week, for half hour sessions of strength training, ultrasound and electro treatment. Strength gain in my wrist and forearm was easy. Getting rid of the limited flexibility and soarness of the wrist joint is now my main priority.

I have been going back to the box for some time, even it it's just for jump rope and conditioning work. I did my first assisted pullups 10 days ago, and 25 regular pushups yesterday.

All in all, I'm really surprised by the recovery gains and am looking forward to start WOD's again in a few weeks.