CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > In Sickness and In Health > Injuries
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Injuries Chronic & Acute

Old 05-21-2008, 06:50 AM   #1
Carl Etheredge

Profile:
Knee Pain (inside, below kneecap)

After doing Michael a few WODs back, I developed sore knees. The center of the pain, with my knee bend at 90deg is just to the inside of the lower edge of the patella, and on top of what I would guess is the end of my tibia. I feel some minor discomfort when at rest and slightly more when doing air squats or walking. It is most noticeable at the extremes of range of motion. It does not hurt to fully flex my knees unless under load, but locking them hurts loaded or not. Also, it hurst to apply pressure to the inside of my knee, below the cap. The patella does not hurt, nor does anything above the joint.

I stared POSE running a couple of weeks ago, self taught through videos and drills from some links on the forum. That Michael was my first run of over 800m POSE style. I was feeling better enough to try a 400m run yesterday and that was not a good idea. I did the WOD from 5/19 today and the SDHPs did not seem to bother the knees at all. I was a little stiff during the OHSs in the warm up, but those were no more painful than just walking around.

I am planning not to run until this heals. Any ideas on what my problem is and how to prevent it from recurring?

Thanks,

Carl
Old 05-21-2008, 10:03 AM   #2
Steven Low

Profile:
Re: Knee Pain (inside, below kneecap)

Check to see if your patella is tracking right. Foam roll your ITB and stretch everything out.
Old 05-21-2008, 01:16 PM   #3
Carl Etheredge

Profile:

From doing some online research, I don't think I have patella tracking problems. Pain is in the wrong place (inside and on the tibia as opposed to outisde and on the femur)... at least that is what I gather. I will definitely give the foam rolling a try. I have been stretching, and that seems to help. Thanks for the reply.
Old 05-21-2008, 02:26 PM   #4
Wade Smith

Profile:

sounds like the patellar tendinitis I got last Sept
Old 05-22-2008, 06:20 AM   #5
Carl Etheredge

Profile:

Whatever it is, it seems to be bothered more by repetition and shock than anything else. Going down stairs sucks. I also rowed today, thinking that would be all right, but the left knee said otherwise. My right knee feels 100%, but my left knee is still stiff and sore. There is no burning or acute pain... just soreness like a bruise. Is it possible to bruise the top of your tibia?
Old 05-22-2008, 09:59 AM   #6
Travis Cruse

Profile:

I can completely empathize with what you are going through. Since starting CF regularly last fall, I have slowly developed a nagging pain on the medial left knee, just below the patella. The only thing I can guess is that prior to CF I was primarily running to stay in shape (3 to 5 x per week, 15 to 30 miles total). I'm not built like a runner (6'2", 210) but I got bored with traditional strength-training years ago.

So here is my problem, whenever a WOD at my local affiliate comes up that includes any running over 400m, I wake up the next day with severe medial knee pain. It confuses me since I spent the last 10 years running regularly, but as I have cut back my miles, my knee pain gets worse. I have read posts and sites by former runners who didn't start to feel the detrimental effects of their endurance training until after they slowed down or stopped, and I thought that might be an issue. If anybody has any thoughts, please let me know...Thanks
Old 05-22-2008, 10:31 AM   #7
Steven Low

Profile:

I don't understand why most of you persist with doing workouts that leave you in pain. You do know you're setting yourself up for permanent injuries, right?

Rest, maybe exercise that you can do without pain, massage the area, flexibility work, etc. should all help depending on what it is. If it persists see a sports doc or something; something is obviously wrong and you don't want to mess with it.
Old 05-22-2008, 02:19 PM   #8
Travis Cruse

Profile:

I guess that is the problem, Steve. When I warm up, stretch, and do all those important things, there is no pain. The ache shows up later after the workout. I would of course stop the WOD if I felt a severe pain during it. That is why I posted, to see if there were any other ideas out there.

I guess I should have made my question more direct: If after years of medium mileage running on hard/paved surfaces with little problems would I suddenly develop acute knee pain when my mileage decreased?
Old 05-22-2008, 04:46 PM   #9
Steven Low

Profile:

Hum. I mean it's certainly possible... but for the most part unlikely that it's just that cause. It's probably a couple things coming together just at that time.

You should go get a real diagnosis..
Old 12-16-2009, 03:25 PM   #10
Ryan Thorp

Profile:

Carl - did you ever get to the bottom of what was bothering your knee? How's it doing now?

Ryan