CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > In Sickness and In Health > Injuries
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Injuries Chronic & Acute

Old 03-11-2006, 08:51 AM   #1
Gary Wetherholt

Profile:
My elbow pain has become so excruciating that I'm forced take a hiatus from any type of pullups. I'm soliciting any suggestions for exercises I might use as replacement for the pullups in the WOD. I was contemplating Burpee's or hand stand push-ups.................
Old 03-13-2006, 06:46 AM   #2
Chris Kemp

Profile:
Gary, is elbow flexion totally out of bounds , including reduced load alternatives to pull-ups (jumping, ring rows etc)? If so then I guess you should pick exercises that will maintain or amplify the intention of the WOD.

For example, Cindy is largely about muscular endurance and met-con so a burpee sub 1:1 for pull-ups would certainly emphasise that. HSPU on the other hand would probably slow it down especially when combined with press-ups.

For Friday's push-press/ pull-up fest maybe heavy db swings would work. Different muscle focus but similar cycle time, effort level along with a grip training effect.

Just some random thoughts. Hope this gives you some ideas.

Cheers, kempie
Old 03-13-2006, 07:18 PM   #3
Peter Howarth

Profile:
Gary.Handstand Pushups are push exercises and you need to sub Pullups with another pulling exercise such as cleans or deadlifts.Rows are a good alternative.Varying the grip to neutral may be enough to negate the elbow pain enough to continue working out.Resting the elbow and massage treatment will help for long term.
Old 03-23-2006, 10:55 AM   #4
Rob McBee

Profile:
I had the same problem last year Gary. Rest until the pain goes away and don't do anything that is causing the pain. I know this sounds hard to do but the tendons need a chance to heal. Ice it every chance you get and look into making your diet as anti-inflammatory as possible. Work back into exercise slowly. I bought some jumpstretch bands for pullups. Warmup very well and stretch after training.

Don't get frustrated and focus on the things you can still do. Great time to work on stuff like one-legged squats, core strength, flexibility, speed, etc...

Good luck
Old 03-23-2006, 09:55 PM   #5
Jibreel Freeland

Profile:
Same problem here recently. IMO hands supinated chins push the envelope of natural elbow ROM, as I notice that I have more crepitus in my elbows during them.

Lately I have began eschewing pull ups from a bar altogether, both pronated and supinated, in favor of tree branch pull ups, usually alternating grip, but all types of grips. Utilizing the variety of different branch shapes and surface types for what I feel is a less uniform and more effective workout.

IMO doing pups off of a variety of different apparatus not only prevents injury more effectively, but also diminishes the tendency for the muscles to grow adapted to subtle uniformity, targeting them at various angles.