CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Nutrition
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Nutrition Diet, supplements, weightloss, health & longevity

Old 08-12-2012, 10:29 AM   #1
Brian Butera

Profile:
sfh recovery?

I just ordered the sfh recovery whey protein and was wondering if any one else out there has used this supplement, and if so how did it work for you. I have been reluctant to use any type of supplement, but I feel that a good protein will help me with my goals. I have been trying to stay away from anything with a lot of sugar, and sfh looked like a good choice. I currently weigh about 218 and I am trying to get down to around 200. I have been reluctant to start taking any type of supplement because in the past I have typically gained weight when taking anything with creatine in it. However my diet was definitely not on track then, and I feel that it is now. Any comments would be appreciated.
Old 08-13-2012, 05:25 AM   #2
David Alexander

Profile:
Re: sfh recovery?

I haven't used SFH's protein, but as for your weight gain on creatine, it retains water in the muscles, so the weight gain you get is mostly water weight. Especially in the first 2 weeks of taking it. Once you quit taking it, you'll lose the weight. Basically in 3 months you can expect to put on 2-6 lbs in "muscle" weight. Any additional weight should come off. If your diet is on point, you can lose "overall" weight while taking creatine.
Old 10-20-2012, 05:43 AM   #3
Michelle Stafford

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian Butera View Post
I just ordered the sfh recovery whey protein and was wondering if any one else out there has used this supplement, and if so how did it work for you. I have been reluctant to use any type of supplement, but I feel that a good protein will help me with my goals. I have been trying to stay away from anything with a lot of sugar, and sfh looked like a good choice. I currently weigh about 218 and I am trying to get down to around 200. I have been reluctant to start taking any type of supplement because in the past I have typically gained weight when taking anything with creatine in it. However my diet was definitely not on track then, and I feel that it is now. Any comments would be appreciated.
Hey Brian, I noticed you posted this so time ago, how did the SFH Whey recovery work for you, I'm interested in this product, but it's pricey. Is it worth the hype?
Old 10-20-2012, 10:59 AM   #4
Chris Mason

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Alexander View Post
I haven't used SFH's protein, but as for your weight gain on creatine, it retains water in the muscles, so the weight gain you get is mostly water weight. Especially in the first 2 weeks of taking it. Once you quit taking it, you'll lose the weight. Basically in 3 months you can expect to put on 2-6 lbs in "muscle" weight. Any additional weight should come off. If your diet is on point, you can lose "overall" weight while taking creatine.
Wrong! Now, if you buy one of the many creatine products with impurities then you may well experience bloating from creatine's use, but the lean muscle gained from creatine use is no more water than any lean muscle mass you will ever gain.

What you are doing is espousing a myth based upon misunderstanding and misinformation.
Old 10-20-2012, 11:14 AM   #5
Chris Mason

Profile:

SFH Recovery, like most protein supplements on the market, is simply a whey-only protein product. Whey protein is certainly a good form of protein. It is absorbed quickly and powerfully promotes protein synthesis. Its strength is also its weakness. While it is quickly absorbed and powerfully promotes protein synthesis, that fast absorption causes a relatively decreased net retention and it does very little to blunt catabolism.

The other milk protein, and here is where we see that mother nature seems to get it right most of the time, is casein. Casein is more slowly absorbed. It also promotes protein synthesis, but to a lesser degree than whey, however, it significantly blunts catabolism and due to its slower absorption rate provides for a superior net retention when compared to whey.

As in nature, a combination of whey and casein is superior to just whey. You get the benefits of both.

So, any whey-only protein is inferior to a blend of at least whey and casein.

The SFH product also includes creatine, but it is underdosed at 2.7g per serving. I presume that may be because they assume the user will take more than one serving per day.

Overall, the product is likely ok, but is very overpriced for what it is and its efficacy can only be average at best.
Old 10-21-2012, 07:41 AM   #6
David Alexander

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Mason View Post
Wrong! Now, if you buy one of the many creatine products with impurities then you may well experience bloating from creatine's use, but the lean muscle gained from creatine use is no more water than any lean muscle mass you will ever gain.

What you are doing is espousing a myth based upon misunderstanding and misinformation.
Dang, did the "wrong" really need an exclamation point? My response to the OP was from 3 months ago, and you've already corrected me on this myth and I have since stopped spreading it.
Old 10-21-2012, 12:30 PM   #7
Chris Mason

Profile:

Quote:
Dang, did the "wrong" really need an exclamation point? My response to the OP was from 3 months ago, and you've already corrected me on this myth and I have since stopped spreading it.
Lol, geez, sorry. It wasn't mean to offend.
Old 10-21-2012, 06:13 PM   #8
Steve Liberati

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Mason View Post
SFH Recovery, like most protein supplements on the market, is simply a whey-only protein product. Whey protein is certainly a good form of protein. It is absorbed quickly and powerfully promotes protein synthesis. Its strength is also its weakness. While it is quickly absorbed and powerfully promotes protein synthesis, that fast absorption causes a relatively decreased net retention and it does very little to blunt catabolism.

The other milk protein, and here is where we see that mother nature seems to get it right most of the time, is casein. Casein is more slowly absorbed. It also promotes protein synthesis, but to a lesser degree than whey, however, it significantly blunts catabolism and due to its slower absorption rate provides for a superior net retention when compared to whey.

As in nature, a combination of whey and casein is superior to just whey. You get the benefits of both.

So, any whey-only protein is inferior to a blend of at least whey and casein.

The SFH product also includes creatine, but it is underdosed at 2.7g per serving. I presume that may be because they assume the user will take more than one serving per day.

Overall, the product is likely ok, but is very overpriced for what it is and its efficacy can only be average at best.
Not commenting on the quality of SFH as I only heard good things about their product but it seems like if a product has the word "grass-fed" on the label, people automatically assume it is of the highest quality. Unfortunately, this logic is wrong.
Old 10-21-2012, 06:26 PM   #9
Richard Deyan

Profile:

Quote:
I doubt Chris meant it harm in any way. He seems to have to spend a lot of time correcting that 1 simple myth that everyone seems to know. There's a lot of knowledge on this forum that is being passed around confidently that is not so correct.
Old 10-22-2012, 09:16 AM   #10
Paul Glezer

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Liberati View Post
Not commenting on the quality of SFH as I only heard good things about their product but it seems like if a product has the word "grass-fed" on the label, people automatically assume it is of the highest quality. Unfortunately, this logic is wrong.
My thoughts exactly. And another point to consider is how much does "grass-fed" actually matter by the time whey is extracted from the actual animal and put into the bag? I am not familiar with the processing involved but wondering how much the processing actually impacts the source quality.