CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Exercises
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Exercises Movements, technique & proper execution

Old 03-19-2012, 12:25 PM   #1
Zack Hines

Profile:
external rotation and OHP

so I know from previous training to emphasize external rotation when working overhead (pullups, OHP, etc)

Is this always the case, even for other planes like ring rows, pushups and dips? I was doing ring rows and felt like I wanted to rotate inward to be stronger.

also, I feel like my front rack position at the bottom of my OHP is making the movement more of a tricep movement at the bottom, and less of a shoulder movement. I can flip my elbows out under the bar and it feels more shoulder-y but now I'm externally rotated, and my front rack looks like sh*t. I can widen my grip, but that limits the range of motion, and I can't do anything resembling a rack position with hands wider than "just outside the shoulders"

advice?
Old 03-20-2012, 05:53 AM   #2
Zack Hines

Profile:
Re: external rotation and OHP

maybe I'm asking this wrong.

really what I'm hoping for help with is how far apart should my hands be for the overhead press, and is it a true front rack at the bottom with elbows forward, or is it ok to let the elbows flap out under the bar to use the shoulders more?
Old 03-20-2012, 06:33 AM   #3
Graeme Moore

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zack Hines View Post
maybe I'm asking this wrong.

really what I'm hoping for help with is how far apart should my hands be for the overhead press, and is it a true front rack at the bottom with elbows forward, or is it ok to let the elbows flap out under the bar to use the shoulders more?
OHP - edge of thumbs just outside of shoulder

If cleaning then pressing, hands spaced a little wider is fine.

Not sure what you mean by 'flap out'?

This is front rack http://www.crossfitmetropolis.com/wp...Front-Rack.jpg wfs - you want the weight supported by your shoulders, the fingers merely pinning the bar in place.

Having said that, when repping OHP you don't want to be returning to rack position between reps, just keep your shoulder area tight and make sure the bar is supported directly over your forearm which should be vertical, not supported by your fingers.

Think of rolling the bar towards the heel of your hand with your fingers.

Last edited by Graeme Moore : 03-20-2012 at 06:40 AM. Reason: EDIT: Misread OP
Old 03-20-2012, 07:47 AM   #4
Zack Hines

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Graeme Moore View Post
Having said that, when repping OHP you don't want to be returning to rack position between reps, just keep your shoulder area tight and make sure the bar is supported directly over your forearm which should be vertical, not supported by your fingers.
well, this clarifies things a bit. I was not keeping my forearm vertical, but I WANTED to. (this is what I mean by flapping out. imagine transitioning from front rack to the correct position you describe, its like flapping out)

so thumbs just outside shoulders, forearms vertical under bar. got it thx