CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > Community > In Search of CrossFitters
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

In Search of CrossFitters For finding other CrossFitters to CrossFit with

Old 08-16-2011, 12:41 PM   #21
Todd Wilcox

Profile:
Re: downtown Detroit

He does not claim to be crossfit, it's just good old high intensity circuit training with an emphasis on running fundamentals. It is a whole in the wall, no one really knows about it. However, trying to put a CF box in there would surely be contentious.

Every major city has a crossfit box by this point. The amount of buzz that a CF box would create right downtown in this city should not be underestimated...
Old 08-16-2011, 01:38 PM   #22
Eric Schubring

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Todd Wilcox View Post
He does not claim to be crossfit, it's just good old high intensity circuit training with an emphasis on running fundamentals. It is a whole in the wall, no one really knows about it. However, trying to put a CF box in there would surely be contentious.

Every major city has a crossfit box by this point. The amount of buzz that a CF box would create right downtown in this city should not be underestimated...
Well the place is over a million sq feet, it could possibly work out for the both of us. I just emailed a guy to help me out in finding other properties near downtown / corktown / Wayne St. Might be best to just drive around and look for signs.
Old 08-19-2011, 05:57 AM   #23
Eric Schubring

Profile:

I looked at about 10 places so far in Detroit or the surrounding area. Every place has been whether a total piece of crap or WAY overpriced. Found a couple nice places closer to Madison Heights and Southeast Warren, but they are less than 10 miles from CFBMW / Transformation. Looking at a place in Farmington today right by the 696/96/275/5 interchange with high hopes. I now understand why there is no box in the city limits!
Old 08-19-2011, 04:07 PM   #24
Sean Smith

Profile:

I went to Wayne State for 3 1/2 years. I lived downtown for 3 years. If you were to have a CF there, it would have to be in a very high rent district. You don't want cheap rent in Detroit. That just means you will get broken in to. Maybe in the bottom of one of the tall office buildings would work? RenCen would work but I doubt most of us could afford the rent.
Old 08-23-2011, 11:24 AM   #25
Eric Schubring

Profile:

I gave up on Detroit. I need to start small, cheap, secure, and close to home. I'm keeping my full time job and working with about a 20K budget, so I need to take it easy at first. I also heard somebody else in the area is working on setting up a box downtown, so I don't think I'd beat 'em to it.

I found a small warehouse in Farmington, which is everything I'm looking for. Brand new building, nice area, and no box anywhere nearby. Thinking about calling it bantam crossfit haha.
Old 08-23-2011, 12:14 PM   #26
Greg Light

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric Schubring View Post
I gave up on Detroit. I need to start small, cheap, secure, and close to home. I'm keeping my full time job and working with about a 20K budget, so I need to take it easy at first. I also heard somebody else in the area is working on setting up a box downtown, so I don't think I'd beat 'em to it.

I found a small warehouse in Farmington, which is everything I'm looking for. Brand new building, nice area, and no box anywhere nearby. Thinking about calling it bantam crossfit haha.
Awesome. Whereabouts exactly? My office is in Farmington. PM Me if you prefer to keep it quiet. I'd be happy to help you out if you need some help moving stuff, setting up, etc.
Old 08-23-2011, 04:25 PM   #27
Sean Smith

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric Schubring View Post
I gave up on Detroit.

I was surprised that you had faith in it, to be honest. That city is so backwards that nothing will get done there for a while. It would need to be knocked to the ground and completely rebuilt for it to thrive again. But good luck on your Farmington gym. I'm sure you will you reach the right crowd and have a lot of success.
Old 08-29-2011, 05:03 PM   #28
Eric Schubring

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sean Smith View Post
I was surprised that you had faith in it, to be honest. That city is so backwards that nothing will get done there for a while. It would need to be knocked to the ground and completely rebuilt for it to thrive again. But good luck on your Farmington gym. I'm sure you will you reach the right crowd and have a lot of success.
Very true! And thanks. I'm still looking around though. I found a really small place in ferndale that has an apartment right next to it. Wouldn't it be awesome to live at a box?? I also submitted my affiliate application today.
Old 08-31-2011, 05:38 PM   #29
Todd Wilcox

Profile:

thefactorydetroit.com

Crossfit opening in the city.
Old 08-31-2011, 06:18 PM   #30
Eric Schubring

Profile:

Cool... I know that guy.. worked out with him at New Species a couple weeks ago.